PDA

View Full Version : How to clean the dust ...?

Hervé
04-29-2003, 03:06 AM
hello, any good advice to remove that damn dust inside a computer ...?

Have a nice day.

js33
04-29-2003, 03:19 AM
I use my Kirby vacuum cleaner. It sucks the dust out very well.

Cheers,
JS

Hervé
04-29-2003, 03:35 AM
Kirby...? is it a special vacum cleaner ??

mattclary
04-29-2003, 07:08 AM
Kirby is a brand of vaccum, some models are rather small. I usually just open the case somewhere I don't care if it gets dirty and use my lungs. Just worry about the dust-bunnies (big balls of lint and dust), I wouldn't sweat a light coat of dust on your components, you might do more harm than good trying to get them spotless. If you can't blow it off, then it probably doesn't need to come off. You can get cans of compressed air specifically made for this, but I'm cheap.

Heimhenge
04-29-2003, 11:36 AM
Best method I've found is to use a can of compressed air in combination with a shop vac. Shop vacs move so much air that the plastic nozzle often develops a pretty strong static charge, so don't get the nozzle too close to anything in the case. Just hold it close enough to pull out the stuff the compressed air blasts loose, or most of it will settle back in the case somewhere.

In addition to the obviously dusty horizontal cards, I blow out the fans (make 'em spin), in between the hard drives and bay units, and the power supply itself (for which I hold the shop vac nozzle right up to the vent ports while I blow in the other one).

I live in the desert and need to do this every few weeks. It's amazing how much dust there is out here. It never ends.

Matt
04-29-2003, 01:04 PM
did you know that on public transport when you hit a fabric seat, the dust that flies off is mostly skin from other people!

:)

just wanted to share that with you all!

:D

Hervé
04-30-2003, 12:14 AM
Hey thanks a lot , yes, I thinkI'll go fro the compressed air stuff.... there is some dust located on top of the little cooling grill just between the fan and the proc., and this little fan does not let me reach this little cooling grill (same as your car, but smaller, no ??)...

Thanks and cheers...

dust is skin from people..... beurk....
hehe

MorituriMax
04-30-2003, 02:22 AM
I find the best way is to use an air compressor like you find in some peoples garages, get a small press button air nozzle and open the case up, then go to town blowing the entire case out, concentrating around the processor, the power supply (inside case and outside case), and inside the drive bays, do this for about 3 or 4 minutes and you're good for awhile..

Hervé
04-30-2003, 05:11 AM
Thanks a lot MorituriMax.... yeah, indee the way to go....

I have found mini vacum cleaners, but they all look cheap..!

Thanks
Hervé

(I think we can end this thread now , no ? -unless someone has a magic sol.)

mattclary
04-30-2003, 07:34 AM
Well, you could always soak it in the bath tub for a while. Gets all the dust, but may have unwanted side effects... :cool:

Hervé
04-30-2003, 08:25 AM
What about "Javel water" ??? Could that stuff clean all the bugs in the same time..?

MorituriMax
04-30-2003, 11:27 PM
You actually CAN wash it in the tub with clean water, BUT.. (BIG BUT) you better be 100% sure that it is completely dry when you put power to it again... grin