07-25-2005, 10:38 AM
The July 2005 / Pre SIGGRAPH issue of the LightWave newsletter is now posted:
http://www.lightwave3d.com/newsletters/v2-n6

kml12
07-25-2005, 10:42 AM
Great news Kurt

ufo3d
07-25-2005, 11:01 AM
Any other new features? or that is all we get in 8.5?

cresshead
07-25-2005, 11:16 AM
i think that's their pre-siggraph letter..so at siggraph there will be more stuff shown on the newtek stand...as it is currently there's some nice features coming to layout :lwicon:

colkai
07-25-2005, 11:32 AM
Any other new features? or that is all we get in 8.5?

Well, the press release says "This new update will include the following enhancements" so I guess you could interpret that to suggest there may be more.
Of course, you also have to allow for the fact that the other part of the update is purely bug-fixes from earlier releases rather than a host of new "toys".

Not too long to go anyhoo, then we will all know for sure. Meanwhile ... back to Waving... :lwicon: :caffeine:

Wickster
07-25-2005, 12:34 PM
I'm Guessing NT is holding back until Siggraph for a full feature list of 8.5, since Siggraph will be a perfect timing to announce those kinds of stuff. It is one of the reasons why I'm going to Siggraph...coz I'm curious.

But it must be hard keeping all those secrets inside, eh Kurtis? Come on you can tell us...i swear it'll make you feel better and get more sleep. :D

Meaty
07-25-2005, 01:37 PM
woohoo! Siggraph...sooo...close!

Kurtis
07-25-2005, 04:34 PM
But it must be hard keeping all those secrets inside, eh Kurtis? Come on you can tell us...i swear it'll make you feel better and get more sleep. :D

Sleep? What is this thing you call sleep. I believe I've heard references to it, but I'm not actually familiar with it. :p

KillMe
07-25-2005, 05:32 PM
all these new open gl improvements but doesn't mention if the open gl performace is any faster - which i prefer to new shader options

Cobalt
07-25-2005, 07:16 PM
While it's always great to hear about free upgrades and program improvements, I think the bigger news for me is the announcement of the Newtek party. All my SIGGRAPH scheduling revolves around this event. Hope to see you all there!

gjjackson
07-25-2005, 07:51 PM
I'm glad to hear about the 64 bit version. I had bought a 64bit system and wanted to get in on the beta program. Looks like I picked the right time. I'll get the released version instead. Mucho bettero. I was actually surprised that Newtek was making it free to v8 users. If it were my company I probably wouldn't have done that. Maybe at a reduced price, though. UPS screwed up so I haven't got my 64bit os yet. But I did have the eval from MS so I could at least test out the system.

Much appreciated Newtek.

harlan
07-25-2005, 09:09 PM
Hope there's more to see than this feature list for LW at Siggraph. If not, I suppose it's a cool update being that its free, but LW's getting a little long in the tooth (especially in the realm of innovation).

The 64bit news kicks ***, and I'm really glad to see it's ready to come out swinging.

riki
07-26-2005, 12:43 AM
Sounds good, any news on 64 bit build for Mac?

Limbus
07-26-2005, 01:46 AM
Sleep? What is this thing you call sleep. I believe I've heard references to it, but I'm not actually familiar with it. :p
Here ya go:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep

But promise no to show it to those guys in the dev team. :D

Gui Lo
07-26-2005, 09:11 AM
... see the latest technology advancements from NewTek, including LightWave [8] version 8.5 and VT[4] version 4.5, as well as the future LightWave 3D!

So they will be disclosing some aspects of LW[9]?

Hope so!

Kvaalen
07-26-2005, 11:09 AM
The wait for versin 8.5 has been longer than the wait for the other versions since 8.1 (or at least so it seems), and version 8.4 was skipped (or at least not released to the public), so could this really be all there is to 8.5? From a logical point of view: no. Just think about that.

I think we are all expecting NT to show what has really been cooking under the NT lid for the past couple months at Siggraph.