PDA

View Full Version : do i need a new version of LW if i changefrom windows to linux

paximus
04-29-2003, 01:54 AM
im thinking of changing from windows to linux but im wondering if i will have to buy a linux version of lightwave or will my windows version still work?
any ideas?

js33
04-29-2003, 02:18 AM
There is no GUI LW version for Linux only the network rendering node. So you can't really run LW on Linux by itself. You still need the Windows or Mac version to actually create things.
I've heard of some running LW under WINE but it is emulated and probably doesn't run very well.

Cheers,
JS

Phil
04-29-2003, 02:51 AM
It runs fine under Wine. There can be font inconsistencies and you'll also need a 'dongle free' version IIRC.

You could also spring for VMware which will allow you to run a copy of Windows on virtual hardware on top of linux. This loses all pretence of getting hardware accelerated OpenGL, but it's the only alternative (and will allow you to continue using your dongle AFAIK).

Having seen how much trouble people have getting Maya to run on various flavours of SuSE and RedHat, I'm rethinking my interest in a full blown linux version of LW. Until the developers of the various libraries start considering end users and compatibility issues that arise from ill considered changes to their implementations, linux-based operating systems are starting on the back foot. That and the UT2003 live CD based on gentoo completely and irrecoverably knackering the BIOS on my home machine have skewed my opinion of linux as a consumer OS for the time being.

paximus
04-29-2003, 04:24 AM
so... linux is not such a good idea huh?

thanks for the feedback

are there any graphics streamlineing adjustments that i could do to my windows(xp) to make it more stable and get rid of unnessary cpu taxing sub programs that windows seems to be full off.

mattclary
04-29-2003, 05:56 AM
Yep. Go to System Properties > Advanced > Performance > Visual Effects and check the box that says "Adjust for Best Performance". Also, go to TweakXP.com for lots of handy tricks on freeing up resources.

Phil
04-29-2003, 06:07 AM
Originally posted by paximus
so... linux is not such a good idea huh?

thanks for the feedback

are there any graphics streamlineing adjustments that i could do to my windows(xp) to make it more stable and get rid of unnessary cpu taxing sub programs that windows seems to be full off.

There are quite a few things that can be done. Have a search on google to locate XP specific service guides. XP runs alot of services by default and you can save a fair bit of memory by turning off those you don't need. It's not something that should be done without guidance as some services are vital and changing their status can either severely impact performance (negatively) or stop your machine booting up.

Other suggestions are to put the page file on a separate partition from the operating system and also to disable the themes that XP applies to the interface.

XP on the whole has proven a nice little update to 2000. It uses a little more memory, but seems very stable indeed. You might find some third party applications are not helping (those that are run at startup) - check http://www.mlin.net for the StartupControlPanel application. It makes it very easy to turn on/off or completely remove the startup applications that can be installed in various places in the registry.

paximus
04-29-2003, 06:10 PM
thanks.

ill give it a go

jb_gfx
04-30-2003, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by js33
I've heard of some running LW under WINE but it is emulated and probably doesn't run very well.

Wine Is Not an Emulator, it's an interpreter for the OS part. The hardware is the same on Linux x86 and Windows...

js33
05-01-2003, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by jb_gfx
Wine Is Not an Emulator, it's an interpreter for the OS part. The hardware is the same on Linux x86 and Windows...

Well it has the same effect of running as an emulation.
Bad performance. Also I think an emulation would actually be better than interpreted as that would be even slower.

Cheers,
JS

Phil
05-02-2003, 04:04 AM
Not true at all. LW under Wine was actually not significantly slower than running it natively. It would perhaps have been a better route to use Wine to support LW on linux than going for a native version, at least until the market on linux could be evaluated. There were minor issues such as font issues (easily corrected by bringing across the fonts folder from a full Windows installation) and some minor window issues (plugins disappearing behind the main layout window), but on the whole, there was little to tell between Wine and Windows environments with regard to LW. The only caveat is the suggested need for a 'dongle-free' version if you wish to do any serious work, although I'm not sure if this is still the case.

(One of the big headaches for a linux port is 3rd party support - it's been discussed before at length on earlier threads here and elsewhere.)