PDA

View Full Version : My computer gone bad, reinstall question

fineartist
07-23-2005, 11:37 PM
Hello everyone.

I have a question I hope someone would be able to answer me. I COMPLETELY screwed up my computer and want to reload my update 8.3 on my mac. I have 7.5 and thought I would be smart by taking some of the files from my 7.5 and install them into my upgrade but made a mess like nobodies business.
Should I copy all the files I accumilated and back up on a disc, get rid of both versions of lightwave, reinstall 7.5 then the 8.3 upgrade or is there a way where I just install 8.3 with the serial number I have, or.... I be ignant about these things ( I am old you know :)

Any advice I could get would be fantastic.
Thanks

Fineartist :)

adrian
07-24-2005, 03:05 AM
Having re-installed LW 23 times in the last 48 hours I will give you what advice I can, although bear in mind I don't use a Mac so things may be a little different for you:

I completely uninstalled my version of 7.5 before installing 8.3 (including taking my old serial dongle out).

I then just did a clean install of 8.3 - my version of 8.3 is a "stand-alone" version in that it doesn't need to installed on top of a previous version (like 7.5c for example), so I would just have 8.3 on your system and get rid of everything else.

All of my object/scene files I needed I had in completely separate directories anyway so they did not go anywhere when I got rid of 7.5.

So to recap:

1. Uninstall every version of LW you have right now
2. Turn off your machine and remove your serial dongle
3. Install LW8.3 (following the instructons closely) - ie only put the dongle in when you're told to and make sure the sentinel drivers are installed completely

Hope this helps,

Adrian.