PDA

View Full Version : Missing presets...help!

jay7347
04-28-2003, 08:52 PM
Sure could use some advice from any and all about some missing presets I have in my LW7.5, all of them to be exact. I recently cleaned up my hard drive and tried loading OSX.2.5 but had some minor web problems in addition to not being able to open up any of the presets in surface textures while I had the surface editor open. My Mac OS and the LW7.5 were both installed clean from the cd. I fixed permissions and deleted preference files. I even spent two hours on the phone with the (quite patient) Newtek folks and they couldn't come up with a fix. So I throw it out to the masses, help!

I'm currently back to running Mac OSX.2.4 on a dual gig G4 with 1.75gig of ram. All I get in the preset area is "workspace" and nothing else above it although all the files are loaded in the correct place??? (programs/presets/surface editor/surface preset). Any advice would be most appreciated. Thanks, -jay

hcoat
04-30-2003, 10:39 PM
I'm not sure why they didn't install if it was a clean install from the LW 7.5 CD.
I know there is problem when upgrading from 7-7.5 where it leave all the preset in the LW 7 folder. But what ever the case is you can fix. LW install from the files that you can see when you open your CD. You should see the preset folder. Just replace the preset folder in your LW folder on you Hard Drive. If there are no presets inside the preset folder on your CD this would be the problem and you should get a new CD.

good luck

munky
05-01-2003, 01:52 PM
I've had this happen and on thing I did was load an old scene that had something in it with some presets in it and hey presto! all my presets were back snuggled up all warm and cuddly like they had never been away. I'm not saying this will work for you but it might so give it a whirl.

paul

jay7347
05-01-2003, 04:08 PM
Thanks folks, tried both ideas before and again just to be sure. My LW7.5 is just not recognizing any presets. It also is not able to save presets in the preset panel. Any preset file must be loaded manually to the surface yet it won't, for any of the listed ways, save to the preset panel. The only difference I got from trying loading a preset loaded lwo file is that it occasionally refered to the name "root" in the top of the preset panel. All lws files crashed when I opened the suface panel before opening the preset panel. They also wouldn't recognize any old stored presets. Damn frustrating. LW gods how about a lightning bolt to make my computer behave...
-jay

mwachala
05-03-2003, 02:42 PM
I have the 7.5b upgrade. I have installed it 3 times and I have never had any presets install. Am I doing something wrong? Should there be some presets?

jay7347
05-04-2003, 08:18 AM
For the record, Gil at Newtek tech support finally found a solution to my problem. I had a "/" in the name of my hard drive which caused problems with LW software seeing where to get things from. The "/" caused a break in the destination, as I understand it, causing my harddrive to be read as everything after the "/".

So word of warning, don't put a "/" in the name of your hard drive. Once I changed that everything works perfectly and plugins and presets load without problem. Gil, you da man!
thanks -jay

jmeiczinger
09-14-2004, 12:13 PM
Presets back thanks to Munky. I had lightwave open this morning with presets intact. I finished a project, closed Lightwave. Reopened a scene an hour later ... no presets for a scene created and textured with preset textures the day before! I tried all the recommended treatments but nothing, until I read on this board Munky's idea. It worked. Thanks MunkyMon!

John

munky
09-14-2004, 01:06 PM
You're most welcome John,
I have no Idea why it works but it does, I can't tell you how long it took me to work it out but the waste paper bin in my office looked like a run over coke can before I found this solution.

Presets if you can't coax em out go get a cattle prod:)

regards

paul

cj8n
08-15-2005, 05:50 PM
Hi,

I'm having the same problem with presets missing on a clean install of 8.3 on 10.4.2. Same problem on 2 identical imac g5s. This is a bug. I've tried everything to get them to load and nothing works. Perhaps it is time to upgrade to Maya.

cj8n
08-15-2005, 06:23 PM
It turns out the brand new 8.3 disks I have don't install the presets! I pulled the presets off of an old 7.5 install dropped them in the 8.3 folder and they work great. I wonder what else they left out?