PDA

View Full Version : Creeping cell borders on video pan

starbase1
07-23-2005, 12:32 PM
I'm panning across a large still image, encoding direct to DVD format.

The problem I have is that the image is clearly broken into cells, so it gets an almost mosaic like apearance.

Anyone got any clues on how to avoid this?

I don't want to shell out on a dedicated application, though I would be prepared to pay for a better codec, if that would deliver, and was not too painful. That my preferred route because I guess it would improve the quality of everything I put out to DVD.

I'm also a bit confised about how these wrk - whereas lightwave seem pretty handy at picking up codecs, it does not seem to find the DVD ones used by my copies of Premiere Elements, or uLead video studio...

As always, any and all clues gratefully received.

Nick

MonroePoteet
07-23-2005, 01:30 PM
I use Ulead Media Studio Pro, not Visual Studio, but it appears that VS supports UIS files. UIS files are "Ulead Image Sequence" files, which are Ulead's method of dealing with sequences of frames. I'd recommend rendering your pan sequence to a framestore in LW (as usual), then importing it into VS as a UIS file. This will allow you to use VS's MPEG encoder to produce a DVD-compatible video.

Also, in terms of pixelation of images in LW, be sure to set Mipmap Quality to "OFF" on the Surface panel if the image is mapped to a surface in the distance.

mTp

starbase1
07-25-2005, 03:58 AM
Thanks for the suggestion.

The bad news is that I experimented with the uLead internal pan and zoom, and that has really severe 'creeping cells', particularly when the motion is slow. So I think the encoding is probably the issue...

Hence my questions about buying a better codec.

I'm also beginning to wonder if maybe I should invest in Canopus Imaginate - it might seem overkill to spend so much more ofn a piece of panning software than my main video authoring tools though!!!

Nick

MonroePoteet
07-25-2005, 01:29 PM
The only other suggestion I can make is to crank up the bitrate in the compressor options. I usually use 6000 Kbps VBR, and don't see the cell compression artifacts.

I'll leave it to others to discuss the higher-end compressors. You can definitely spend big bucks on them!

Good luck!
mTp

starbase1
07-25-2005, 11:28 PM
Thanks again for the clues, better understanding can only help. But I'm definitely feeling a big push towards a higher end authoring program!

Nick