PDA

View Full Version : Checkerboard on all objects

adrian
07-23-2005, 12:16 PM
I've just had my first go with LW8.3 and I have noticed that whenever I render anything it is rendered with a checkerboard on the object's surface.

I can't see anything obvious from within layout (ie an option that says "render checkerboard with object"). Why is LW doing this and how do I switch it off?

This is happening with all my objects - even if I load a plain cube with default textures.

Adrian.

Surrealist.
07-23-2005, 01:59 PM
If you are in discovery edition, then this is normal, it is one of the limitations.

If not, you might have your dongle loose or not installed and be running in discovery mode anyway.

adrian
07-23-2005, 02:28 PM
Well my dongle is definately not loose and I registered the software just yesterday - the program no longer comes up with the message about my temporary license key only having 14 days remaining....

****!!!!! I just noticed it says I'm running in discovery edition, so that answers my question.

This doesn't look good :mad:

Adrian.

Silkrooster
07-23-2005, 03:31 PM
Did you enter your licence # into lightwave?
Silk

gjjackson
07-23-2005, 06:35 PM
You need to put the license number from Newtek in the license.key file in the programs folder. This number is on the registration page when registered. The serial number on the package is Not the license number.

Surrealist.
07-23-2005, 09:41 PM
Well what happens is - this happens all the time.

In layout, Just go to Help/Enter License Key and input it there. Your troubles will be over.

Still wonder why they don't update that tutorial. This happens ALL the time. It happend to me and I am loosing count of the times I have to post this. I am going to just keep it in a Word file and copy and paste. ;)

adrian
07-24-2005, 02:58 AM
I don't know what was going on - but I uninstalled and re-installed from scratch and now it works fine. I had to do this about 20 times two days ago just so LW would accept the permanent license key Newtek sent me!!

Either LW or my computer must have been having a funny 24-hours, although I suppose it's not beyond the realms of possibility that it could have been me having a funny 24-hours :)

Cheers for the help anyway.

Adrian.

Fizzer
07-24-2005, 02:07 PM
Something very similar happened to me some while ago. I did the 8.3 upgrade, everything went as it should. A few days later I fired up LW and noticed that I was running in Discovery Mode. Checked Registration, License,
Dongle - green light was on. Everything seemed to be OK, just that the **** thing was running in discovery mode. Eventually after much head scratching I pulled out the dongle and plugged it back in, windows came up with the New Hardware Found Dialogue and installed the drivers. It has run normally ever since. All very strange!

adrian
07-25-2005, 12:24 AM
With regards to USB dongles, does it harm anything by taking them out whilst the PC is still on? I know with serial dongles that you should NEVER take them out whilst the machine is still on but my modem accidentally came out and I plugged it back in (without thinking) with my computer on and it didn't seem to do any harm....

Sounds like by taking out my dongle and plugging it back in during my umpteenth re-install did the trick :)

Adrian.

Dodgy
07-25-2005, 03:43 AM
I use my copy of lightwave at work and at home, and take the dongle out and put it in while the pc is on every single day. I never had a problem even when it was a parallel dongle, with the usb it's even easier as I don't have to search down the back of the pc.

USB was designed from the beginning to be hot plug/unpluggable so it shouldn't cause any problems.

adrian
07-25-2005, 04:44 AM
Well that's good to know.

As for serial/parallel dongles, I was once told that by unplugging the dongle with the machine still on, you could either ruin the dongle, or more seriously, fry the motherboard.

I'm not a technical wizard so I'm not stating the above statement is true but nevertheless, I never took out my previous dongle with the machine on!!!!

Adrian.