PDA

View Full Version : How do you output from TriCaster to DV?

davidsrose
07-22-2005, 09:52 PM
The title says it all. I know this sounds stupid, but I can't seem to figure out how to output an edited segment or a clip in DV format. Suggestions?

-David

pnelson
07-24-2005, 08:03 PM
David,

What type of Camcorder are you using? The easiest way is to take a Y/C out of the TriCaster to the Y/C input of your camera and recorded it.

please let me know if you have additional questions!

davidsrose
07-25-2005, 08:44 AM
Thanks, I'm already using an S-Video cable to go out from the camera and into the TriCaster, but I was under the impression (actually, I could swear that I saw it in print in the TriCaster specs) that the unit "outputs DV". So there really is no way to get digital video directly out? If so, that's pretty disappointing, and I would hope it would be remedied in a future release.

-David

Chris L
08-15-2005, 03:37 PM
I am in the process of purchasing a Tricaster and thought I would be able to bring the files into my MatroxRTX100/Premiere editing system??? Have you had any success?

pnelson
08-15-2005, 03:48 PM
No problems at all!

You can save your edit as a DV.avi or use the NewTek codec included with the TriCaster.

Either way, you should be good to go!

Thanks for asking the question. :thumbsup:

pnelson
08-15-2005, 04:07 PM
Ahh Bring files from TriCaster to Premier...

Yes! The TriCaster includes the NewTek codec which can be installed on your premier system..

This will allow you to load video from TriCaster into your 3rd party editing package.

Hope this helps.

Chris L
08-15-2005, 09:32 PM
Does it work on a Matrox RTX system utilizing the Matrox plugins? That is the real question. I will find out tomorrow, I guess. Thanks...

pnelson
08-15-2005, 09:37 PM
As long as you render out your final output from the 3rd party product using the NewTek Codec, it should play just fine.

Let me know things go when your TriCaster arrives tomorrow!!

See Ya,

StephenW
08-16-2005, 04:57 AM
Hi Phillip-

I am having trouble using a third party editing system with the TriCaster codec (there is no video on Vegas 4) and another user reports trouble of upsidedown video on Premiere.

If you know how to make this work please leave detailed instructions. I have spoken to tech support and they did not know how to resolve the Vegas problem.

In both of our cases, TriCaster codec video works on Windows Media, but not in our respective editors.

Thank you.

Chris L
08-16-2005, 03:38 PM
Well, I received the Tricaster today and installed the codec on another computer (Dual Xeon 2.8) running Premiere/Matrox RTX100. I then recorded a live output in Tricaster and then copied it (via ethernet) to my Matrox computer. I opened Premiere, imported the file and the file shows it must be render before I can view it, so I rendered it. The video was upside down. I then tried opening a new project in Premiere (native DV, not a Matrox project) and imported the same clip. I could see it without having to render but the render line was still there and guess what .... it was still upside down. The codec does not show up in Premiere as an option to edit in that format. Is there a step I'm missing. The Tricaster is such a GREAT product to have this limitation. Our workflow is such that we will be recording a 3 camera shoot in the studio. One project after another. Then with the Tricaster networked to our edit rooms, our editor would copy the footage to their computers to begin editing the shows. Is there a fix? Will there be a fix? If there is a program that will allow me to edit mpeg files in real time (MainConcept MPEG Pro) as a plug in to Premiere, I would think this could be done. OR even better, record live output in the Tricaster as 720x480 DV avi-type2.

Chris

pnelson
08-16-2005, 03:52 PM
Chris,

Give me a call.. I have a great idea for you!!

Chris L
08-16-2005, 04:26 PM
OK here's kind of a workaround for anyone interested. In Tricaster, bring your footage into the editor and select Prepare for VCR. Enter the title of your clip and hit SAVE. The file will be exported as a 720x480 file which can be imported into Matrox RTX/Premiere and seems to work fine. This step is OK for short projects but could really eat up some time if you have a 2 hour live-switched event that you have to export before bringing into Premiere. But this will work until we find another solution.

Chris

David Curle
08-16-2005, 05:27 PM
Ahh Bring files from TriCaster to Premier...

Yes! The TriCaster includes the NewTek codec which can be installed on your premier system..

This will allow you to load video from TriCaster into your 3rd party editing package.

Hope this helps.
Will this codec work with Edius?
David

David Curle
08-19-2005, 10:37 PM
Will this codec work with Edius?
David

Paul??????

Paul Lara
08-19-2005, 10:38 PM
I'd answer, but I don't know the answer, so I'm not able to answer.

Chris L
08-22-2005, 09:45 PM
Has anyone discovered a way to work with 3rd party apps?

John Perkins
08-23-2005, 10:58 PM
Just a thought...

Are all the upside down videos seen on Matrox systems?

Matrox has had upside down video problems dating back to the G400. It could be a Matrox Direct Show filter on the system. Media Player won't show anything but green until you turn off the RTX100 TV output, so it stands to reason that there are Matrox filters getting in the way.

I tried a Matrox too and it was not really flipped, but rotated 180 on the z axis.

Many 3rd party codec packs install a bilinear resize filter that makes video flip on some codecs. Mine had no extra codec packs.

Having Premiere show upside down, but Media Player show them right side up made me think of something else too...

I haven't tried this yet, but on some codecs, you have to turn off the video mixing renderer in Media Player because it flips them. What if having this on is making our video flip back to normal, thus covering up a Direct Show problem?

You can disable VMR by opening Media Player 9 and going to Tools-->Options, Performance tab, Advanced button and then deselecting Use video mixing renderer. It might be a good idea to reboot. Media Player 10 is similar, but has more options. Sorry, I'm not in front of one right now.

Just so you know, VMR uses the 3D acceleration of the video card to perform operations on the video such as scaling, mapping and image processing operations. Everything should still work but use a little more CPU power. It SHOULDN'T make any difference in the flip unless some filter in the chain is written badly.

I hope we get this figured out.

John Perkins
08-23-2005, 11:10 PM
Sorry to hijack this thread...

I'd much prefer capture in DV format to begin with too. I'll gladly trade 4:2:2 for 4:1:1 that's editable elsewhere (usually in realtime).

Also, not having DV output from the timeline or as another live output is a pain in the, ah... 1394 port, shall we say.

Join the '90s. People that haven't moved on to HDV like DV.

StephenW
08-23-2005, 11:34 PM
One selling point for me was the ability to edit in my choice of software. The TriCaster codec was supposed to work in 3rd party apps, but it apparently does not.

We wait to hear from the Newtek gods whether they are A) Aware of the codec problem B) Doing something about it C) The heck with the customers D) All of the above.

Anything is possible, the lack of communication magnifies it.

Paul Lara
08-24-2005, 06:45 AM
not having DV output from the timeline or as another live output is a pain in the, ah... 1394 port

live DV out requires intensive CPU useage, and likely more than a single processor could provide. VT[4] is capable of this because it runs on a dual processor system.

Paul Lara
08-24-2005, 06:46 AM
We wait to hear from Newtek whether they are A) Aware of the codec problem B) Doing something about it C) The heck with the customers D) All of the above.

A) Yes
B) Yes
C) Never!
D) not at all.

StephenW
08-24-2005, 07:23 AM
Thank you Paul!

Paul Lara
08-24-2005, 09:18 AM
Update
Engineers have found the problem, and a fix will be issued in a TriCaster patch, due in a couple weeks.