View Full Version : Harley Panhead

monfoodoo
07-22-2005, 01:45 AM
With 3" primary belt and foot clutch.If only it was in the driveway. scott

MooseDog
07-22-2005, 06:34 AM
if only..... :D

sweet job, close to the best modelled bike i've seen. great work :thumbsup:

my only critique would be its presentation in this image not presenting a great model as well as possible. maybe add an ambient occlusion shader to the motor to show off its detail. maybe a nice turntable, or maybe a composition in a photograph. it deserves a presentation equal to the modelling.

monfoodoo
07-22-2005, 11:25 PM
Thank you very much!
I did a lot of research for it. I used a harley custom parts catalog for alot of reference,along with going to the harley shop and a custom builders business for measurements and pictures(and remembering details from when i had one).
i couldn't help not putting on a Maryland plate(my home). scott

badgerboy
07-23-2005, 08:50 AM
Great model and a very nice render, but there are a couple of tiny nitpicks I have.

1. There's no hydraulic fluid resevoir for the front brake, unless these are mechanical (pretty much useless on a bike of this weight), or it's hidden away from view.

2. the front brake cable looks like it might be a little short. On full lock it looks like it could get stretched pretty tight. Over time this will obviously cause more degredation of parts than if there was enough length there.

Just real nit picks as I said. Not sorting them out won't take away from what is a really lovely model. :thumbsup:

monfoodoo
07-23-2005, 10:28 AM
Hey,your right!How did i miss that one. while i'm fixing that,i guess i should put on a key switch somewhere too.thanks,Scott

starbase1
07-25-2005, 04:34 AM
Vehicle models normally bore the ar$e off of me, but this is really rather special. I agree that irt deserves a better setting to show it off!

Nick

monfoodoo
07-25-2005, 10:19 PM
thank you very much.I gotta say though,that fprime really has helped with my lighting.my modeling has much improved but i really couldn;t get good results without waiting an hour for a veiw.what a difference.scott

John Perkins
08-04-2005, 01:16 PM
Keep me updated on your progress, I'd love to have a copy of the final image. Even a video would be cool, like a simple rotation to check out all the details. I assume there's a jockey shifter over there somewhere?

I stumbled across this thread looking for something totally different, but being a chopper guy myself, I was instantly side tracked.

Great work!

Abe
08-04-2005, 02:29 PM
Being a Triumph lover my self,and harley lover second .I have to say this is a fantastic peice of work :) .Its tweleve months since I was on this site,and i'm glad I dropped by just to see this.I'm realy not good enough to offer any critics except to say your miles infront of me.Good on yer Mate.

monfoodoo
08-04-2005, 08:52 PM
Will do! Scott

FIREGIRL
08-07-2005, 08:02 AM
That's awesome work Monfoodoo. Just one thing though -- I know its gonna sound repetitious (as it basically applies to many artists' works here including myself lol) -- the render looks too clean; not enough imperfections like dirt and bump maps (ex: seats are too flawless without bumpmaps, the front wheel looks too smooth and clean, the floor is too spotless as well, and the engine parts are also too clean).

With those being said I still give your bike 2 thumbs up! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

monfoodoo
08-07-2005, 11:50 PM
Call me Scott(monfoodoo is an old game name from,Age of Empires,it's on all my logins,so i'm stuck with it.
yeah'it's too clean.but i was finally happy with the outcome,i overlooked a few things.I'll get on it and see what i can do. Thanks!

Here is the other side

monfoodoo
08-07-2005, 11:57 PM
Had to send in this.scott

Tiger
08-08-2005, 08:58 AM
Scott, how many hrs approx. did you spend modeling this?

monfoodoo
08-08-2005, 10:01 PM
Problematically,about a week and a half to get the modal down.i usually get on LW about 11:00 to 3:30 at night and 11:00 to 1:00 in the afternoon before work.
(tattoo career guy).
I think the cylinders where the hardest(there close).i considered buying a cylinder and having the fins band sawed into sections ,then scanning them.Instead i used any gaskets images for the motor that where availible ,then eyeballed off off them.besides actually doing real measurments of an actual engine,along with taking pictures.the spoke wheels where also a trip to do.find an article on lacing a wheel?!?
By no means am i a great modeler,a good problem solver is a better term.
The thing that always hurt me was the lack of getting the lighting right on anything i've done.Spending days on lighting and always settling for less because of the render time.(as i said above F-PRIME is Huge help).It showed me quickly what lights can do.
Not real big on animation though,(dabled in it),.waiting on the result is hard on me. scott, Thanks for reply!