PDA

View Full Version : anybody else having problems loading obj files into LW ?

JML
07-21-2005, 09:49 AM
anybody else having problems loading obj files into LW modeller? (on osx)

Jeff
07-21-2005, 03:17 PM
Hi JML,

Don't know what version you're using but...

Our studio has had a major problem with LW8 loading some object files created in LW7.5. It turns out that the issue lies in any curves contained in the object file (it just fails to load in 8). The curves are part of the DXF files imported into Modeller (v7.5) from AutoCAD drawings. The only option we've found is to delete them in LW7.5 (select them in the Stats window), resave the object, THEN load it into LW8. Of course you lose the curves, but at least you can load the rest of the object...

A REAL pain, but a hacked solution - not sure if it applies to your situation though!

Jeff

JML
07-21-2005, 05:50 PM
it's not the same thing, but thanks anyway,

we are trying to load obj files, saved from formZ and the file will crash modeller on osX but not on XP which mean the file is fine, just something wrong with the importer..

hopefully that will be fix..

animatedkona
08-21-2005, 12:29 PM
Just updated to 8.3 and noticed that previous objects with dxf imported curves from Autocad will not load into 8.3... I tried just killing the curves so that I at least keep the associated points and that seems to work. This was not a problem in 8.2

I see others are experienceing the same problem.

I may post this over in the bug section as this is definately something that broke between 8.2 & 8.3..

New dxf curve imports work, save and re-load fine into 8.3 and earlier releases. (Cannot confirm 8.2.1 or 8.1)

jahn
08-21-2005, 12:39 PM
lightwave has lots of import problems from eps to obj.
not stable in importing. sometimes it does, sometimes it doesent. modo is my bridge while importing.

animatedkona
08-21-2005, 12:46 PM
DXF import is still working ok it is 8.3... It is reading 8.2 and previous object files that it is failing on those curves.

I have not gotten Modo to read dxf files. Am I missing something?

Thanks

gerry_g
08-21-2005, 01:24 PM
all .obj's load just fine (LW8.3 Tiger10.4.2).............but, when I export one to say ZBrush, ZBrush bombs, I noticed LW generates no .mtl file (the metadata file that pares with the exported .obj, LW .obj's load just fine in Amapi Pro and Cinema 4D, but neither Modo or ZBrush will touch them. Although it's been covered many times on this site I think it's worth pointing out that standard practice has been to substitute the LW7.5 conv3D.p plug-in (Lightwave>plugins>imput-output) for the LW8+ version on account of it being broke and until 8.3 I did likewise, but as the latest one seemed ok at first I didn't bother, and seeing how LW8.5 is imminent I cant be arsed anyway

JML
08-21-2005, 01:31 PM
all .obj's load just fine (LW8.3 Tiger10.4.2

it depends from which application you export those obj.

all obj from Formz4 on OSx crash the modeller.
but the same files won't crash on XP.

they just need to fix the obj importer and make sure it fully work.

pdrake
08-21-2005, 03:10 PM
why are you exporting obj files from formz and not lightwave files?

i'm still using formz 3.9 and not having any problems. maybe i shouldn't upgrade.

(just turned in the purchase request last week.)

JML
08-21-2005, 08:09 PM
we model using layers in formz, and we build it that those layers are meant to be "surface" in LW. (that's the way they did it since the begining here).
importing obj works fine on xp, but Formz layers become LW parts.
the new plugin "parts to surfaces" is going to help us a lot.
but lightwave's obj importer on osx has to be stable as people use osx here too.

and also, Lightwave exporter in formz3.9 or 4 is fine for small files, but for heavy files, it takes forever and most of time crash.
obj exporter is fast and works..
(do not upgrade to 4 , I still use 3.9 at work, and everybody else is using 4 and keep complaining... symboles bugs, lot more crashes, doesn't remember preference like it used too.. and we hear that formz 5 is even worse...ouch)

riki
08-21-2005, 10:21 PM
No problems here. Just an issue if I double click on a LWO file when Modeler and the Hub are running. The Hub starts bouncing for attension in the Dock rather than opening the file in Modeler.