PDA

View Full Version : Appleseed And Lightwave

Tyler007
07-20-2005, 08:04 AM
:lwicon: I rented Appleseed the other day and was impressed with the CGI. I visited a home page and discovered some lightwave screenshots. I am assuming the entire movie was created in lightwave. Anyone else have info on Lightwaves involvement with the movie?

http://www.a-seed.jp/graphics/mechanics/index.html

Tyler007
07-20-2005, 10:25 AM
I found more info on the Film

http://www.xsibase.com/articles.php?detail=45

The only down side to this film was the facial expressions. I find this a big problem with most CG films.

Earl
07-20-2005, 11:19 AM
Yeah, I was kinda disappointed in the over all look and feel of the film. Some of the stills I saw before seeing the movie really got me excited, but once it was in motion it just didn't work for me. Too CG looking, not enough character/depth to the expressions, and some of the movements were odd. I guess I'm just too much of a fan of traditional hand-drawn anime. 8/

From what I understand, Appleseed used XSI for the celshading, not LightWave.
http://www.softimage.jp/appleseed/

Tyler007
07-20-2005, 01:37 PM
I agree, I think they tried too hard to make CG characters look hand drawn. The Mobile fortress in my opinion looked like a excellent blend of CGI and cell frame while the characters tended to stick out too much in the scenes. I am still wondering what sections used Lightwave :lwicon: . Ya I found out also that Lightwave and Maya were used for the Environments. Also I found it the emotional scenes funny because of the character lack of expressions made the over all bad acting feel. LOL But all in all it is a good rental.

Earl
07-20-2005, 02:27 PM
Yep, agreed. I still enjoyed it, but I don't think I'll be buying it for the collection on my shelf. :rolleyes:

CB_3D
07-20-2005, 04:47 PM
I think the only problema was that the animation was too fluid. had they aniimated at 15 fps and interpolated it up it would have a much more hand-drawn feeling.

WilliamVaughan
07-20-2005, 05:06 PM
Appleseed is a killer movie!

They used a mix of LW and XSI...there is no clear line of what was used for what but Dstorm told me that massive amounts of Appleseed were created with LW....the entire end sequence with the giant spider tanks is supposed to be all LW as well as lots of other shots in the film.

I believe XSI was mainly used on the characers but don't quote me on that.

charlestwoods
07-20-2005, 06:22 PM
Good article. It did mention that the Character unit was all XSI based.
Also noticed that they were hiring animators who had just graduated from school! LW has a very strong presence in this film, and I wonder what
the exact motivation was for use of XSI for character animation over LW...

...how cool would that be for a recent graduate? :thumbsup:

Kurtis
07-20-2005, 07:37 PM
Just picked it up for my PSP. Looks incredible on the little screen too.

archiea
07-20-2005, 09:10 PM
I saw it on the big screen... I noticed alot of aliasing issues.... I wonder if it was rendered at full 2K or if it was blown up from 1K, or if it was a texture problem. I, too, am a fan of hand drawn 2D. In general there's been too much 3D in 2D anime that it really pulls you away from the film. One good thing about 3D anime is that at least all of it is consistant compared to the blended. I'm not a fan of mocap 3D characters, though. I know its an issue of economy, but I wish characters could just be animated by hand.....