PDA

View Full Version : VT[3] Dying???

KenBennett
07-20-2005, 07:50 AM
Is it the heat or is something dying on my computer? :(

My VT[3] dedicated computer has been acting very sluggish this week. Playing back simple audio tracks will suddenly just stop or play for a second and stop them play another second and stop. Same for video clips. The video clip will stop and "jiggles like Jell-O" and breakup a bit. If I grab a clip to move it in the timeline (and I get that little box icon attached to the cursor), it will suddenly take 30 to 60 second before any happens. And sometime it will simply stop all VT edit operations.

Re-booting helps for a few minutes but does solve the problem. Is it the heat? Is it the dual Xeon CPUs? Is it the Toaster card?

The room has been very very warm (with the outside temperatures in the 90s or 100s) even with extra large room fans making wind.

I need this issue looked at and taken care of ASAP as all video production will come to a halt. And that's bad.

BTW: Original VTNT card upgraded to VT[3], dual P4 Xeon 2.6Mhz CPUs, 2GB mem, Supermarco MB, 5+TB external video drives, 200+GB internal video/audio/system drives, 7 internal fans in VT[3], WIN XP Pro OS, no other programs running, nothing new has been installed, operation last was OK.

Suggestions, Help! call and/or email me ASAP!

Jim Capillo
07-20-2005, 08:20 AM
It's easy enough to check - just pop the side off and aim a fan directly at the board. It wouldn't surprise me if it was the heat..... it's been known to cause problems.

mgrusin
07-20-2005, 08:50 AM
Start up task manager (from ctrl-alt-del) and see if there are any other processes running that are taking up gobs of CPU time. Things do sneak in, or get broken and run wild. If VT is running but not doing anything, my CPU sits at about 10% just from winrtme (VT's media engine).

And you probably already know this, but VT can go off on a caching binge, especially when you bring in long DV clips or open a project when the Newtek.info directory has been deleted. During this process video or audio clips on the timeline typically say "wait" on them, and the hard drive light is lon for long periods. If this is happening, go have lunch and when you come back it should be done (hard drive light off) and much more responsive.

Other thoughts: Windows has started to decay and needs to be reinstalled (happens to me every year or two, used to be every week with 3.1), corrupt spot or full RAID causing VT to never stop trying to cache...

Good luck! (my studio is in a loft, and this heat is miserable... :oye: ) -MG.

(EDIT: that's funny - the oye smiley is superceded by the :0 smiley)

KenBennett
07-20-2005, 09:07 AM
Jim- I'll pop off the side and do the fan dance :boogiedow and see if it settles down.

mgrusin- I did delete a NewTek.info folder somewhere :eek: that may have something to do with it. I didn't see anything using much resources other than winrtme. 8~ I did notice that my cache folder had well over 25 cache files ranging from 1K to over 10GBs. I manually deleted them after VT was closed.

Thanks.

mgrusin
07-20-2005, 09:32 AM
Sounds like a plan. :cool:

Deleting Newtek.info "should" be safe (I delete them to save space before archiving projects), though I have been warned that important batch capture info lives in there as well. VT will rebuild missing Newtek.info folders when it first needs them; this takes a while, and may be what you're seeing.

The "big" cache folder should theoretically be empty when VT is not running, but if VT crashes, it may leave behind cache files, sometimes huge ones as you've seen. It's OK (and good!) to delete these if VT isn't running, but aside from taking up valuable space, I don't think this is related to your problem.

Good job! Hope this gets you back up and running! -MG.