PDA

View Full Version : Help needed with subpatching

squeakybadger
07-19-2005, 04:51 PM
Really confused by this and would appreciate any understanding of why its happening.

Normally i would build one side of a model, mirror it and the weld the points so it is one model. Every other 3d app does this well, but his royal Lightwaviness is playing silly buggers.

Ive attached 2 screenies, one showing the complete mesh before, and one showing it when i try and subpatch it to smooth it.

The question is... why?

Is this some lightwave 'feature' i dont know about, or am i just being a fool?

Cheers for any help on this.

:D :D

art
07-19-2005, 05:15 PM
Im just trying to guess here, but can you check if you have the same number of polygons on each side of the model?

Im asking this because when two polygons lie on top of each other things similiar to this happen when subpatched

kiwi dave
07-19-2005, 06:39 PM
Another possibility is that you may have had some polys hidden or deselected when you sub-patched.

Hit "W" to make sure that all faces are sub patches.

Dave

Surrealist.
07-19-2005, 07:06 PM
Im just trying to guess here, but can you check if you have the same number of polygons on each side of the model?
Im asking this because when two polygons lie on top of each other things similiar to this happen when subpatched

Exactly.

I had this exact thing happen so what it looks like you have there is you accidently pasted some or half of the pollys on one side. This will cause this effect - from what it looks like.

If you select a poly and choose "select Connected" (] key) and then cut you will find the pollys underneeth. delete those and then paste you object back down

It also looks like you might need to merge the center points. But try the above first and then see what it looks like. If only half of the model selects then the center points are not connected. Select a point on the other side and repeat to find the hidden pollys.

When you mirror. Make sure merge points is selected.

riki
07-19-2005, 07:38 PM
I can see some two point poly lines which are probably causing the problem. Jump into Poly Selection Mode, hit the "w" key to bring up the stats window, use this to select and delete all two point polys and then "m" key to merge points. You may also need to "Unify Polygons" if you've copied the same section of mesh.

spud_q
07-20-2005, 01:03 AM
Oops, I just posted the exact same message as Riki.

Surrealist.
07-20-2005, 03:42 AM
Look Familiar?

This was accomplished by copy and paste into the same layer of the object before mirror. Hit tab and this is what you get.

I was racking my brains ther other night trying to figure out what had happened to a model of mine. Sorry but my solution above missed the fact that I had a good copy of the model before mirror. THAT copy you can select connected and get the hidden pollys by cutting one set of them.

Anyway what happened is you had inadvertantly pasted the same gemoetry into that layer before mirror. Or a tool such as a mirror/delete plugin did. The Merge Points option of Mirror is what causes this when there are two sets of pollys on top of each other.

The solution is simple if you have a clean copy of the half before mirror. It might be good or you can select connected and remove the other polys.

If not you can simply slelect all the pollys in a shaded view and hit delete. This will remove the ones on top. You have to select the faces though. Selection methods such as lasso will select both layers of polys and you'll leave a hole when you delete. You might have to merege points first to do this on the "clean" half.

squeakybadger
07-20-2005, 11:20 AM
Thanks for all the help guys, getting it sorted now. All good tips :D

I had a look around the mesh and there were polys on polys.

Ill keep an eye out on that merge points bit in mirror too, thanks surrealist.

Surrealist.
07-20-2005, 11:59 AM
Thanks for all the help guys, getting it sorted now. All good tips :D

I had a look around the mesh and there were polys on polys.

Ill keep an eye out on that merge points bit in mirror too, thanks surrealist.

Also riki's right you could probably just unify polys to correct. :)