PDA

View Full Version : Procedural texture errors

colind
07-19-2005, 05:32 PM
Hi team,

When rendering with Screamer Net (on Xeon PCs with WinXP), my procedural textures render differently on different machines. Any idea why?

Apparently people have suggested in the past that all the machines must have the same type of CPU, but that's not right. Machines that have identically spec'ed CPUs render differently, and I even tried running two lwsn's on the one machine. One was correct, and the other was wrong. So that's not the problem.

Any other ideas? Is it a bug in lwsn.exe? Is there a workaround? All render clients are pointing back to the same (shared) config files... I don't know. I'm running out of ideas.

Thanks,
Colin

PS. Although it's wrong, it _does_ give an... um... interesting... effect when you compile the incorrect frames into an animation. As long as you don't have a susceptibility for epileptic fits, that is!

McLeft
07-25-2005, 02:00 PM
If you're using "Dented" (or other procedurals with ability to change noise type) with default "Perlin Noise" - switch to "Gradient noise". There're bugs with perlin noise.

colind
07-26-2005, 05:46 AM
Ah, yes! I am using Dented and turbNoise, both of which are using Perlin Noise. Thanks for that tip. I'll try it and see if it works. I'll have to wait till the weekend, though, when the render farm machines aren't being used as normal desk machines.

Mebek
08-22-2005, 01:05 PM
...when the render farm machines aren't being used as normal desk machines.

I hate when people use my render nodes... as if database programming, video editing, and QuickBooks were important or something!