PDA

View Full Version : How do you add an image on my object?

DJ1
07-19-2005, 01:48 PM
Hi.

I am a newbie and have started to do stuff in 3d. It is really difficult I gotta say.

I wanna add an image on my objectsurface. I added a pic in the texture editor but it doesnt save. How do you add a pic on your object?

I simply trying to create a room so only flat walls so far. :)

Are there any good Lightwave tuturials cause the official one is so very complicated and difficult to understand.

thanx

lede
07-19-2005, 03:05 PM
Yeah I know what its like to be new. Now for your reference a scene files only stores the information for what obecjts to load where to place then and what motions are there in your scene. It will not store your textures. If you check there is a save model under the file - > save -> save current model or save all models. This will store your texture information.

Now then LW is a very complex program and the more you read the better your going to get so here is a place I used to frequient to get ideas and help when I was stuck.

http://members.shaw.ca/lightwavetutorials/Main_Menu.htm

Spend a little time with your manual in the end it will benifit you.

-Lee

DJ1
07-20-2005, 08:28 AM
Yeah I know what its like to be new. Now for your reference a scene files only stores the information for what obecjts to load where to place then and what motions are there in your scene. It will not store your textures. If you check there is a save model under the file - > save -> save current model or save all models. This will store your texture information.

Now then LW is a very complex program and the more you read the better your going to get so here is a place I used to frequient to get ideas and help when I was stuck.

http://members.shaw.ca/lightwavetutorials/Main_Menu.htm

Spend a little time with your manual in the end it will benifit you.

-Lee

thanx.

I cant find 'save all models' though.

I use 7.0.

I have read some of the user manual but it is on a higher level than me.

MiniFireDragon
07-20-2005, 02:30 PM
It is Save all Objects, located in the File Button at the top left hand corner of your screen. U may need to click on the down arrow to show all the options.

DJ1
07-21-2005, 02:44 PM
It is Save all Objects, located in the File Button at the top left hand corner of your screen. U may need to click on the down arrow to show all the options.

It goes in the right direction.

Today I made 3D flaganimations in lightwave... :)

however I still havent managed to add a or change image.

I must download an objectsfile which someone else has done and then remake that one and change bmp file.

I have tested everything to change or add image. (yes I have tried to find it in the manual. Thats where I found ou about displacement maps)

I have tried to add image in effects panel: composting but nothing happens no matter how many imagees I add as foreground or background image. I start to think that it is impossible.

someone please help.

Silkrooster
07-21-2005, 03:36 PM
No its not impossible. ;)
1) In modeler, select the poly(s) you want the image on. If you want the image on the whole object, you can skip this step.
2) press lowercase q on your keyboard. type in a name and for now you can leave the rest of the settengs at default. press OK
3)Press F5 (or in the upper lefthand corner press surface editor), Select the name you created.
4) Find where it says color, then click on the button to the right that has a T in it.
5) Look where it says Image and click on the button. This is where you add the image, you select the image name that you loaded with the image editor, or you can select load and load an image from here. The reason to use the image editor is to replace and remove images you do not want as well as some crude image editing.
6) You may need to change tiling and projection depending on what you want to do with the image. To show a single image on one side of a cube for example, leave projection to Planar and set tile width and height to reset. Then click on automatic sizing. You may also need to change the axis depending on what side the image is on the object. Then click on use texture.
7) Now close the surface editor and save your object.

This was all done in modeler to show you that the textures are saved with the object, not the scene. You could have loaded the object in layout and used surface editor there instead on modeler. But when you change the texture in layout you have to remember to save the object, because saving the scene will not save the texture, and your time could be wasted should you shut down layout with out saving the object. If you left modeler open you may still beable to save the object, but if it is not open when you close layout, you will not get a warning for you to save the object.

I recommend that you read in the manual about the surface editor, and image editor. Because I only scratched the surface of what these can do.
Well, I hope this helps.
Silk

MonroePoteet
07-21-2005, 06:20 PM
If I understand your post correctly, you're downloading a Lightwave object file provided by someone else, and you're supposed to replace the image mapped onto it.

This can be done easily in the Image Editor:

1) Press F6 to bring up the Image Editor
2) Find the image in the list on the left which needs to be replaced and select it.
3) Press the "Replace" button at the top of the panel
4) Navigate to the new image, and select it

This will replace the image on the existing object everywhere the old image was being used.

The compositing panel (foreground and background images) is probably not what you want. Background images are for adding in things like sky behind all rendered objects. Foreground images must include a transparency mask (called an "alpha channel") to allow the rendered objects behind it to be seen. Foregrounds are used for things like chromakeying (filming on a blue/green screen) or for adding objects rendered in different packages or previously rendered in LW.

There are MANY places in LW where images can be used, and in many different ways. Basically, anywhere you see a "T" button next to a channel, you can specify an image of some sort. The Image Editor (shortcut F6) can be used to manage *all* the images in use.

mTp

SuperJesus
07-21-2005, 08:10 PM
Like DJ1, I am a newbie, and was wondering how to resize my images on the surface of an object. It keeps getting scaled down into a square. Thanks if you can help.

Surrealist.
07-21-2005, 09:29 PM
Like DJ1, I am a newbie, and was wondering how to resize my images on the surface of an object. It keeps getting scaled down into a square. Thanks if you can help.

Open the surface editor - top left screen

Click on the surface you want to add image to - left panel of surface editor

Make sure you are on the Basic tab

Click the T button on the color channel- top right of basic tab

The Texture editor will open up at the bottom you will see choices for which axis depending on what type of projection you choose at the top. Then automatic sizing, scale - which lets yous size the image, position, wich lets you position the immage and rotate wich lets you rotate the image. And finally fall off which lets you scale a fade of the image on xyz.

For information on using these options and more go here for tutorials.

http://www.newtek.com/products/lightwave/tutorials/index.html

DJ1
07-22-2005, 04:36 PM
No its not impossible. ;)
1) In modeler, select the poly(s) you want the image on. If you want the image on the whole object, you can skip this step.
2) press lowercase q on your keyboard. type in a name and for now you can leave the rest of the settengs at default. press OK
3)Press F5 (or in the upper lefthand corner press surface editor), Select the name you created.
4) Find where it says color, then click on the button to the right that has a T in it.
5) Look where it says Image and click on the button. This is where you add the image, you select the image name that you loaded with the image editor, or you can select load and load an image from here. The reason to use the image editor is to replace and remove images you do not want as well as some crude image editing.
6) You may need to change tiling and projection depending on what you want to do with the image. To show a single image on one side of a cube for example, leave projection to Planar and set tile width and height to reset. Then click on automatic sizing. You may also need to change the axis depending on what side the image is on the object. Then click on use texture.
7) Now close the surface editor and save your object.

This was all done in modeler to show you that the textures are saved with the object, not the scene. You could have loaded the object in layout and used surface editor there instead on modeler. But when you change the texture in layout you have to remember to save the object, because saving the scene will not save the texture, and your time could be wasted should you shut down layout with out saving the object. If you left modeler open you may still beable to save the object, but if it is not open when you close layout, you will not get a warning for you to save the object.

I recommend that you read in the manual about the surface editor, and image editor. Because I only scratched the surface of what these can do.
Well, I hope this helps.
Silk

Many many thanx....

You should have written the official manual. I dont know how many hours I have spent on that one. and it wasnt that difficult after all. well. After reading your instructions. :)

about step (1): How do you do that? select a specific poly?

and thanx for the intresting info Monroe.

Silkrooster
07-22-2005, 10:15 PM
In modeler, look at the bottom of the screen you will see several buttons, one is points, another is polygons, etc. Click on the polygon button, then you can click on a poly in any of the views. It is easier in the perspective window, as the wireframe views you will end up selecting the front poly and any that are behind it. If you do select a poly in the wire frame view, it seams to work better if you drag over the edge to select the poly, then you can unselect the rest of the polys in the other views.
If you select one poly and need to select another poly you can hold down on the shift key then you can select more.
Silk

SuperJesus
07-23-2005, 01:13 PM
Thanks for all the help so far, one more question though. When I add the image to my object, it just appears as a blurr of coloured lines. I have tried resizing this, but it keeps appearing as a blurr of lines. Thanks if you can help.

Surrealist.
07-23-2005, 01:44 PM
If you are in modeler, hit d on the keyboard for display options, the Layout tab will be open. Make sure you have your texture resolution set to at least 512 - just to make sure you are at least looking at the image clearly to start.

You can always lower this leter if you have many images eating up your resources.

Then make sure and check the following quick checklist:

1) Image map type:

Planar
Cylindrical
Cubic
Sherical
UV

For a flat plane - use planar map
For a wrapper around a can use cylindrical or UV map
For an image projected on all three axis planes use cubic

You get the idea

2) Projection Axis

Make sure this matches the orientation of your pbject.

If you have a flat polygon facing you in the front or back viewport chose z as the axis on a planar projection map.

If it faces you in the left or right viewport use X on a planar projection.

You get the idea?

The same applies to some of the other projection options such as cylindrical but I think you can figure that out now.

Then,

3) automatic sizing, as a place to start then adjust from there.

Also you SHOULD be doing this in Layout after you are done modeling. If you put an image on an object in Modeler and then move the object, the image will stay put- moving it across the face of the object. Sizing is relative to the position of the object in relation to the origin center which stays the same unless you move it with the pivot tool, so the image would stay in the same place as the object "moves". So just make sure you don't have to move the object and again, best to do texturing it in layout for this and other reasons, such as acess to viper for procedurals etc.

SuperJesus
07-23-2005, 02:36 PM
Thanks for your help.

operation
07-23-2005, 03:15 PM
""I dont know how many hours I have spent on that one. and it wasnt that difficult after all. well. After reading your instructions.

about step (1): How do you do that? select a specific poly? ""

Lightwave 7 (official documentation...)
chapter 30 (p30.1) Image editor panel
chapter31 (p31.1) + (p31.23) Surface editor

I am always surprised by thoses questions.....
It's in the documentation ... ( there is a good part which explain very well the 'T' button and how to use the image editor ...

Step 1 : ??? how to select a whole object in the modeler ??? Are you joking ?

Do you really read the doc ?? ....hummm ... you must use the Discovery edition ..... (or no dongle version) :grumpy:

Surrealist.
07-23-2005, 09:35 PM
For what it's worth. Yes, if it is possible to do so, look into the manual. If not, that's what the forumn is for. If you are using a discovery edition of LW, I hope you learn and can upgrade to a full version. Love to have you aboard.

Silkrooster
07-23-2005, 10:35 PM
I believe some people who just received lightwave are too excited to look at the manual and want to create something right away. Odds are they have been reading the forums while they waited to get lightwave. So they would naturally ask in the forum first, perhaps not even knowing the answer is in the manual.

This is the one of the main reasons why I created my forum so beginners do not receive snide remarks about the manual. After all this is suppose to be a place to help others.

OK, ranting over. Anybody thats offended, I apologize.
Silk

Surrealist.
07-24-2005, 12:56 AM
I believe some people who just received lightwave are too excited to look at the manual and want to create something right away. Odds are they have been reading the forums while they waited to get lightwave. So they would naturally ask in the forum first, perhaps not even knowing the answer is in the manual.

Yea that's a good point. I just figure to each his own for whatever reason. They came here to get a questioned aswered and if I have decided to take the time its on my clock. At least the time was spent constructively - well in the best case scenario anyway :)

A lot of times I paste quotes from the manual because sometimes it is easier and is already said concisely - sometimes not. Also I think there can begin an impression that some of this information is "hidden" and only in the hands of a few gurus. And some of it is. Better than 90% I'd say off hand is right in the manual. So I think anytime that I can point someone to the manual in a helpful way it is a good thing.

Yet ALL of that said I have learned more things from guys like you who have been around a while. Just little things that have sent me scrambling to the manual to realize that though I read that section, I missed something or found another use for a tool or simply missed the boat altogether.

This forum is invaluable in that regard and if I feel like spending time helping a new guy create a box with the box tool - that's my time and my business.

If a guy wants to take the same time telling someone it is in the maunal, weather or not he tells him where it is in the manual or not, that's his time. Not my business. I figure the thinking is that the time is constructive because it will get a guy to look in the manual. Snide or not. Fact is I don't know the guy who made the remark and I don't know the newbe. Maybe it was just what he needed to hear. It's not important.

I have no beef with anyone. This is a forum and I can't believe I spent all this time writing.

Rant over. :)

Silkrooster
07-24-2005, 04:46 PM
Yep you are right. I guess I heard so many times the poster should find out for them selves. That it finally hit me. I am sure that is what happens to others, they hear questions repeated a lot and it finally hit them.
I certainly don't mean any disrespect for any member. I just feel that this board is here to help everyone, whether they are thinking about buying lightwave or are a seasoned user who is just stuck on a problem.
I myself am still learning new little tidbits, i missed in the manual, whether I overlooked it or whatever. I know I still learn a lot from this forum as well as some of the others aim at the lightwave community.
Anyways, we are getting of topic for this thread. My apologies to the original poster.
Silk

Surrealist.
07-24-2005, 11:08 PM
Yep you are right. I guess I heard so many times the poster should find out for them selves. That it finally hit me. I am sure that is what happens to others, they hear questions repeated a lot and it finally hit them.
I certainly don't mean any disrespect for any member. I just feel that this board is here to help everyone, whether they are thinking about buying lightwave or are a seasoned user who is just stuck on a problem.
I myself am still learning new little tidbits, i missed in the manual, whether I overlooked it or whatever. I know I still learn a lot from this forum as well as some of the others aim at the lightwave community.
Anyways, we are getting of topic for this thread. My apologies to the original poster.
Silk

Again, agreed on all points. It's all good though. Some things that needed to be said I guess.

Moving on... :)

lede
07-25-2005, 09:34 AM
If a guy wants to take the same time telling someone it is in the maunal, weather or not he tells him where it is in the manual or not, that's his time. Not my business. I figure the thinking is that the time is constructive because it will get a guy to look in the manual. Snide or not. Fact is I don't know the guy who made the remark and I don't know the newbe. Maybe it was just what he needed to hear. It's not important.

I have no beef with anyone. This is a forum and I can't believe I spent all this time writing.

Rant over. :)

It must of been me and yeah no one really knows me. I was trying to be helpful and answer the question but unfortianatly I missed the mark since I have LW 8.3 and the new user has 7.0 which there is some difference sorry. I agree that people like you and Silkrooster have been very helpful in my education.

Now then back on topic, here are a couple of tutorials I found on NewTek website that might help.

http://www.newtek.com/products/lightwave/tutorials/surface/texturing/texturing_buildingtextures.html

http://www.newtek.com/products/lightwave/tutorials/surface/texturing/texturing_gradients.html

http://www.newtek.com/products/lightwave/tutorials/surface/texturing/texturing_landscape.html

http://www.newtek.com/products/lightwave/tutorials/surface/cola/index.html

The last one might be more interesting since it involves textureing a soda can but the other two explain the basic to texturing. Just remember that the LWO (Object File) file will cotain everyting that is related to your object and the LWS (Scene File) files only contain basic infromation like what objects you have and where they are located and how they move. There may be more in the scene file but as you gain expereince you'll defiantly get a better feal for how things work.

-Lee

DJ Dougster
11-11-2005, 01:56 PM
I'm glad I found this thread.

I use Lightwave Discovery Edition, and I've been trying to load an image through surface texture to work with, but I'm having problems.
I'm following the instructions exactly - create a box, go to surface texture, click T, image > load image, use texture, smoothing.
It seems to be identifying the image in surface texture, but it won't appear in the box on the 3D grid.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to why it's not doing this?

Many thanks

Dug

Silkrooster
11-11-2005, 05:21 PM
1) create box
2) Open surface editor
3) Click on t button in the color channel
4) Select the image you want
5) Change projection to cubic
6) Change width and height tiles to reset
7) Click on automatic sizing
8) click OK
At this point your image should be showing at full size on all sides of the box.
Silk

DJ Dougster
11-12-2005, 11:15 AM
1) create box
2) Open surface editor
3) Click on t button in the color channel
4) Select the image you want
5) Change projection to cubic
6) Change width and height tiles to reset
7) Click on automatic sizing
8) click OK
At this point your image should be showing at full size on all sides of the box.
Silk

Sorry to say, this hasn't worked. I will continue experimenting.