PDA

View Full Version : Why LW configs so fragile and delicate?

Johnny
07-19-2005, 08:35 AM
Others have said here that one cause of LW problems is corrupted config files, and this is caused by [omni reason].

I have other apps whose prefs go bad from time to time, but nothing like LW's wherein blinking incorrectly can make them hinky!

Why's this the case? Why are those files *SO* susceptible to corruption?

Maybe it's an irrelevant point, except that wiping the files, rescanning the plugs, toggling the interface settings, re-loading things and resetting preferences isn't a small chore, esp. if you have to do it a few times per session.

J

Darth Mole
07-19-2005, 12:12 PM
Couldn't some clever bod at NT write a program that writes the closing prefs, and then checks the document (it's little more than a text file, after all) to make sure it's not broken? If it is then it deletes it and writes another - or make a duplicate or something...?

Lightwolf
07-19-2005, 12:51 PM
Funny, I never had to trash my configs, even though I tend to reset the shortcuts and menu to default for every upgrade.

Cheers,
Mike

Johnny
07-19-2005, 12:53 PM
Funny, I never had to trash my configs, even though I tend to reset the shortcuts and menu to default for every upgrade.

and the point would be?

riki
07-19-2005, 08:12 PM
Lightwave crashes continually on quits, and one of the first things that everyone tells you, is to trash your prefs and/or do a clean re-install. Which is an ongoing annoyance and works out in the end as being pointless waste of time. I say "pointless" beacuase two days later, it's back again to crashing again on quits. I've never had this problem with any other application.

Johnny
07-19-2005, 08:19 PM
exactly.

I have noticed a dramatic increase in this since I upgraded to Tiger/8.3
Am I alone in this?

J

Lightwolf
07-20-2005, 02:16 AM
and the point would be?
Ooops, you're right, sorry, I ended up on the Mac side of things again (serves me right for only looking at "New Posts" and disregarding the forum section).

As a side note though: Photoshop did that for ages too ;)

Cheers,
Mike

Johnny
07-20-2005, 07:42 AM
Now I've gotten in the habit of not clicking on anything for a second or two after I quit LW or Modeler, but for those times when LW unexpectedly quits WHEN you quit, does anyone know if config files are thereby corrupted?

J

pantone
07-20-2005, 07:59 AM
I've noticed the same behavior for years. For me it only seems to affect modeler.

1. Model a bunch of stuff.
2. Save said stuff.
3. Quit modeler.
4. As modeler is quitting and shortly thereafter I hear my hard disk working very hard.
5. When the disk stops working I get the "Modeler has unexpectedly crashed..." message.

This has been the case through 3 versions of LW. It's always the same and it doesn't seem to matter if I have plug-ins installed or not. I've installed LW clean and made NO changes to the default configs and eventually it will do the same 4 steps above.

I've reported this to Newtek as have many others. They've never responded to me. Calls to tech support don't work because they don't work on macs and thus can't reproduce the problem(or so I'm told).

It would be nice if they'd at least post some info on problems like these. Mac users are smart and dedicated. If they gave us half a clue why this was happening we'd find ways to fix it/work around it ourselves.

Johnny
07-20-2005, 08:23 AM
^^
I get that, too, plus Quits on clicking on the Abort/Esc button after an F9 render and toggling between rendered image names in that Render palette when using DVView.

Does anyone know if, after going through this trashing configs/resetting interface malarkey, whether keeping a copy of those fresh configs handy would make the recovery process quicker after one of those quits?

Or, do you have to do it the "hard way" for it to take?

J

pantone
07-20-2005, 01:58 PM
In my experience keeping a "clean" copy of the modeler preferences file around to replace the "bad" one after a crash makes no difference when compared to doing things manually.

The crash on quit bug happens just as frequently regardless of what method I try.

gerry_g
07-20-2005, 05:47 PM
UV mapped five objects today flitting backwards and forwards between P.ShopCS2 and Modeler, must have quit and restarted it a dozen times ............NO CRASHES (this is usual).........set up same objects in layout each saved as own scene file, test rendered all with F.Prime...............ONE CRASH (well it is F.Prime, whadayaexpect).............. rendered some fifteen images...........NO CRASHES (this is normal).............. some really big objects/scenes can be unstable, but I wouldn't be too quick to blame the ap.

JML
07-20-2005, 07:09 PM
Lightwave crashes continually on quits...

we have both platform at work and I noticed that on some mac when you would close layout or modeller, it will crash. it doesn't seem to happen on all of them. I think we fixed that by fixing the permissions, not sure though.
(they use Xserve and we have lots of problems with permissions.)

try to see if you have 'rights' to write in the folder where LW writes its config files..(right click on the config folder, property,etc..)
or check/repair permissions on your hardrives.
just to make sure that LW can write the config files..

Johnny
07-21-2005, 06:49 AM
But, would you say that having a set of clean config files on hand at least saves the steps of toggling the interface and putting fPrime and other plugs back in place?

J

pantone
07-21-2005, 08:07 AM
gerry_g-
Operationally my experience is pretty much the same as yours. I don't get a lot of crashes while I'm working. But when I quit modeler I'd say it crashes 75% of the time (as it's quitting). That's what I don't get.

Johnny-
Saving clean copies probably would save rebuilding the interface and rescanning plugs. I don't do that much to the interface of modeler, and I don't have any third party plugs, so it's not that big a deal to me.

JML-
I've checked my permissions many times and everything looks to be fine. The problem is I don't know everything about what modeler does when it quits. There isn't any documentation from Newtek that helps me understand what Modeler is trying to write when it quits. I know it's updating preferences...but does it do so by touching other files? If so what are those files?

Johnny
07-21-2005, 08:10 AM
Johnny-
Saving clean copies probably would save rebuilding the interface and rescanning plugs. I don't do that much to the interface of modeler, and I don't have any third party plugs, so it's not that big a deal to me.

neither do I..leave the interface alone, all I add is fPrime, and assign a key to it. all i really want is to get back functionality so that I don't get .flx files during screamer renders, etc.

J