PDA

View Full Version : Image Maps are not casting Shadows

Johnsongraphix
07-18-2005, 05:03 PM
Can anyone tell me why my images are not casting shadows? I have a picture in a frame, and my frame is casting shadow but the picture is not. Looks kinda funny. I'm using Spot Lights on an interior with radiosity on.
Ryan

Surrealist.
07-18-2005, 05:55 PM
Depending on which way the picture plane polygon is facing will determine weather or not it will cast a shadow. It will ONLY cast a shadow in the direction the normal is facing. So in this case your simple solution would be to make it double sided. Note: This assuming you are ray tracing shadows. Shadow map will make it a shadow both ways.

Post a pic if this does not solve it so we can see the set up.

Just another thing off hand. The picture plane is not in a separate layer is it? If it is an object in itself it might have shadows turned off or the light might have it exluded.

Also I am assuming you are not trying to have the image in the picture cast a shadow which it won't unless it is clip mapped.

Johnsongraphix
07-19-2005, 06:35 AM
It's funny. I spend a long time pondering my problems, then I post a thread, then I figure out some problem solving ideas, then I get a reponse back. My polys were flipped so I made them double sided- that was the fastest solution. But thanks for having so many other ideas on the situation, so many things could have been wrong. I guess I never knew a polygon would show an image on the side that isn't the faceing poly.

Surrealist.
07-19-2005, 12:41 PM
Simple enough. Glad it worked out and, yea, I learn something new every day. That's part of the reason I do this. Not because I necessarily know it already but sometimes it goves me a challenge to figure it out, or at least to test my knowlege if it is something I am unsure of. So it always works both ways. :)