PDA

View Full Version : Feature Poll Part three and final

hrgiger
04-28-2003, 03:45 PM
Ok, last one. Here I just went through the feature request forum (old and new) and picked up a few of the common requests. Everyone gets another vote. These aren't so candy as the other requests and a few are quite minor but important too I think. This is the last one, I promise.

hrgiger
04-28-2003, 03:50 PM
I voted for the t-shirt myself. I'm only half-serious about that one of course but at the same time, it'd be great advertising for Newtek.:D

Valter
04-28-2003, 04:49 PM
Why newtek can't do CAMERA SELECTOR plugin work during render as well??

and another little thing. Is there any way to use ALT+Letters key assign to? Newtek should improve this. I don't have more keys to assign. :(

thanks guys
and excuse my english:(

Cman
04-28-2003, 05:20 PM
What Valter said!

Also, I'd love to have ALL of these suggestions! :D

Anttij77
04-28-2003, 11:36 PM
T-Shirt, please! :cool:

Matt
04-29-2003, 02:58 AM
sorry can't choose just one, I want them all!!!

:)

loebek
04-29-2003, 03:56 AM
some questions
what do you mean by
-photometric support?
-Onion Skinning/Ghosting?

cu
lebek

hrgiger
04-29-2003, 08:44 AM
Check out this link to read someone's request for photometric support: http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2676

Onion skinning is sort of like footprints in the graph editor, only for the display view in Layout. It basically gives you ghosted images of your model at different keyframes during an animation only all at one time.

Nemoid
04-29-2003, 06:50 PM
hey
why only one vote ? i like most of these and other polls features . this seem more like a game or something, while i think Newtek knows what most of users want from forums of lw community:D

i don't want start up a flame, but CIM's focused well the point about Lw even if in a provoking way. Lw needs rewriting.

its possible unifying the 2 apps making them appear separate with some switch or tab system and its possible solve many of Lw problems, integrate plugins with the core and also make the toolset very smart.

look at Worley's plugins and u easily understand what i mean. they make all possible with Lw in an easy way.

also hotkey can be switched oer made more efficient while the soft is an unique platform. there are many methods, using ctrl alt and shift keys like in Maya or also being in modelling module, same hotkey makes another thing.

yap i like that like i XSI u work with a tool with all components like points, edges and polys. a toool must be well rounded and powerfull. so that we'll have less tools but more powerfull.

example from simple beveling a face , to magic bevel tool and other all in one tool BEVEL.

then what i really like are interactive tools.

in worleys plugs we see many interactive realtime windows and so on. this simply demonstartes that's possible.

then a real side wich needs enhancements is animation and rigging tools.yes, therea re ACS$ and TSM. there is Messiah, also 4 animation. but the need is a software wich have no need of external applications for doing what it have to do to be complete.

its clear and obvoius thet a great software must have:

1) great modelling tools, with polys, sub-d, nurbs, with a speedy workflow. possibility of updating objects.
2) importing/exporting many file types from other applications as objects, from cad, illustrator and other 3d softs.
3)tools for precise architectural modelling from imported cad files
4) functionally and speedy rigging tools fot characters thought for animators.
5) soft/rigid dynamics also for cloth simulation
6) great uv mapping tools and 3d texturing tools. interactive texture placement in all channels.
7) particles and fuid systen that works better.
8) efficient tools for animation, over all character animation, non linear animation for facial expressions, movements and poses, animation along a path, with defotmation also (think to Flash)
9) efficient timeline in wich u can make many operations with key frames
10) great internal rendering the speedy it can be, with efficient exportation tools for multipassing rendering , compositing and postprocessing.
the exporting must be smooth from one soft to other.

maybe i missed many things but that are the main features. many of them are partially covered in lightwave, but not in a complete way. some of them jhas been introduced ugly like sock monkey system , wich is since years an alpha version.

what animators need rely in interactive tools really i love what LW has of interactive and also center mouse pointer directed, so u see the direction is right. the UI seems quite great 4 me. maybe some more color choice will help too. words actually are better than icons.

i am ending hope having not bored u with this long writing.

try to think like this : LW maybe the best software in the market expecially if Newtek rewrites it mantaining a speedy workflow philosophy, based on the 4 things u have to do: modelling, textuting, animating, rendering.:D

harhar
04-29-2003, 07:01 PM
rewrite means you'll have to wait even longer for a good quality stable Lightwave release. It took Newtek years to optimize the raytracer to its present speed. And it will take years to make it stable.

Nemoid
04-30-2003, 02:16 AM
Originally posted by harhar
rewrite means you'll have to wait even longer for a good quality stable Lightwave release. It took Newtek years to optimize the raytracer to its present speed. And it will take years to make it stable.

Well, i don't know about internal situation in Newtek, and i don't know the relationship between Newtek and "cough Lux.. " cough team, but , u see, the future of Lw is relied to its evolution.

rewriting for me don't mean u 'll have a completely and misleading
redesigned UI and work pipeline. on the contrary. great Lw caracteristics and tools have to be mantained but enhanced with integration. so the user will feel at home as ever.

but for example, skelegons will have no more reason to exist, only bones, all the intruments developed for Modeler /layout comunication will have not need to be there.

great time passed from te last real release wich was 7 so that if someone started a serious rewriting, now they could be at a good point in the developing.

notice that applications like Maya, XSI, Max and Cinema 4D have been created or rewrited in recently years, while LW have never been really touched from this point of view.

the fact of being competitive still now, demonstrates that's a good product.still now. but the future?

other companies are very good on the marketing side, so that i think also that some product isn't that good as they pretend to be

a serious company like Newtek have to invest its time and knowledge in developing the new Lw evolution.its a clever thing

saying that will pass great time for a rewriting means that all the features will be introduced now, will be like pieces attached here and there wich doesn't give to me the exact impression of a solid application.

hrgiger
04-30-2003, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by Nemoid
hey
why only one vote ? i like most of these and other polls features . this seem more like a game or something, while i think Newtek knows what most of users want from forums of lw community:D

Why only one vote? Because it's a matter of picking something out of a list on which one would be your absolute favorite. It's the age old question, if you had to pick one thing...

This was simply a poll for fun. There's no need to make an argument for integration here. There are plenty of other threads to do that. Newtek has said they've been watching the poll with interest so if a few of these more popular features turn up in LW8...great. But don't think this is the core of their decision making or anything. Whether any of these features turn up or not doesn't really change any decision for or against integration.

Hiraghm
05-01-2003, 12:02 AM
I voted for the sound mixer even though I wanted the t-shirt.

I have a t-shirt making program, if I want a newtek t-shirt, I guess I could render the logo and make one... :)

organzero
05-01-2003, 09:20 AM
Edges please! Everything else I can do with free scripts, but lordy, gimme some edge tools please! =)

hrgiger
05-01-2003, 09:38 AM
Edges are in the other poll.

Nemoid
05-01-2003, 10:32 AM
OK , hrgiger

u are right. personally i wanted to vote for every feature in the list!!! (ok perhaps not that of the t-shirt)

if Newtek reads your poll with interest, i am happy. they are hearing LW community.

hope-cough-they read not only this poll for
the features but also the rewriting threads.( provoking!!)

i have a friend wich made suggestions to Nt also in the past, to introduce this of that features, also specifying how to do them, from the programming point of view. he knows LW very very well and also had the opportunity to talk with people like Taron, or Meni.
Nt introduced something similar, but in a not complete and funcitional way

that semed a bit masochist to me.

maybe i took the rewrite point too seriously, but its a serious point for me.
i like features, but i think that tools have not to be attached like some piece here and there , over a not solid structure.

maybe also i choose the wrong poll, however i was quite disappointed about the replies to Cim wich was polemic, but right in many of his statements.

i'll post in the right thread in the future

I believe in LW philosophy and i am really aware that its a good software, but i want to see LW grow and grow.and in the right way.

i want Newtek being appreciated like A/W for its product surely they will be, if they think of the bright future LW can have.

i want people say Wow! they couldn't do this without Lightwave.

'nuff said.

hrgiger
05-01-2003, 06:14 PM
Hmmm, that's too bad. I atually do want the t-shirt! Or a hat. A hat would be nice.

Nemoid
05-02-2003, 02:12 AM
i have it yet!
and also the mousepad of "6" release of the European tour.

Taron's LW logo really rocks.
:) :) :) :) :)

cavalos
05-03-2003, 02:15 PM
Where is taron by the way, the site is showing a message that says "be back soon" and that´s all.

Flat
05-04-2003, 08:32 AM
Hey I want that T-Shirt too !
I even bugged NT Europe back when 7.0 came out, they promised goodies that never came.

Phil, walking LW ad wanabee :D

Lamont
05-10-2003, 06:30 PM
onion skinning is cool, but you can just have trajectories (motion path). I voted for onion-skin.

Dangerman
07-01-2003, 04:39 PM
I voted for the improved manual. None of my pages have fallen out yet, but there are so many that are missing.

Why not a free upgrade with the purchase of a t-shirt?

There are some t-shirts available for purchase somewhere on the site, posters too.

Ethangar
07-11-2003, 05:48 PM
One that I haven't seen mentioned yet is for a better layer browser. I'd love to have the functionality of Photoshops layers in the layer browser. Click and drag layers and have the pivot go with it. If you rename it it updates all the children parented to it etc.

renatolemus
07-12-2003, 12:25 PM
Save radiosity solutions please!!!!!!

and better control (via materilas) of diffuse reflection and color bleeding!!!

lasco
07-21-2003, 07:37 AM
congrats for the idea of the pools, and hope Newteks will take them with interest.

er… I must say I'm really worrying about this T-shirt stuff !
Too many people seems to ask for it in this thread (did'nt see the results of the pool yet though) and even if it's half for kidding I really come mad if that was
what Newtek chose to give us instead of a new function !!!

Now seriously before I vote can you explain what you call a "non camera render" ?

Jimzip
07-21-2003, 08:22 AM
I personally voted for 'Pause render'. Changing cameras in Layout is as easy as: Move - 'enter', 'enter'.
Move - 'enter', 'enter'..

You can swap a camera's view in one frame, so there's no real need to swap cameras..
Same thing for rendering in non-camera views. Perspective may be the only one that would be useful for. You'd get flat images with all the others. Quick fix, make one more camera in the scene and move it around for test renders.. A lot more mobile.

Pausing render/ saving a partial render would be a handy thing to have, especially if you are doing an animation and you really have to finish the rest of that head-modelling tut... I dunno, it seemed like the best choice to me.

Photometric support seems popular at this time.. 52 votes!

I don't really mind. I trust Newtek to deliver a good product, and it will.

Jimzip :D

lasco
07-21-2003, 09:49 AM
I see… and don't completely agree with you Jim…

What you call "flat renderings" about rendering in non camera view
IS very usefull, especially in architecture / landscape renderings that represent
15% of LW users (if we trust a previous pool)…

Plan views are not really the issue, you just put your camera
at 20 km of your scene and zoom at 150 and it's OK,
but rendering cutted views is another business and at present the only thing
you can do is the same that for the top views except that you must boolean
all your objects first in the Modeler to delete what you don't need,
and do this as many times as "front" or cutted views you need…

Also I think orhometric views could be very usefull to fake
some 2D animations, playing only with flat models…

I indeed think orthometric cameras is a very basic thing
that LW misses when I guess all the others have it !

PS : in the same idea and if I can explain it like saying it's "at the opposite",
another thing that lacks is the export of 2d .eps from the Modeler for the
perspective views, and of course this would work even better if you could
"save" your "camera" views in the Modeler…

Rendering 2d vectors is very usefull…!

erikals
09-08-2003, 06:54 AM
To the experts,

"Basic sound support/mixer" wasn't this a hidden option in LW 5.5?

pixelinfected
01-04-2004, 08:00 PM
basic sound support
if you go in scene editor you can load and use wav file.
and you see waveform in the timeline. is enought for basic, if you want more, i hope to insert it in real dopesheet which we can see in lw8.

render with flat camera
for inter there is a free plugin called jjspecial projection, which allow you to render an orthogonal render, which is enought for most architectural and technical situation, or you can work with a very distant camera with high zoom value.

pause / save stopped render
useful, imagine to work at high resolution, for print or movie resolution, that mean you can work more easely.
if lw render engine can save on disk every segment rendered (with using of segment memory limits correctly setup) you can render with less ram and bigger images. i often work to 2000-3000 pixel file, and an option like this could be very useful. but attention i mean a real splitting of file, buffer and more, not a simple splitting with limited region, which is a terrible solution, be cause lw build a buffer for a complete image and not for a regin limited image....
if you work with multipass plugin memory asking grow x10 times, and big render begin utopia, be cause lw see virtual memory, but not use it correctly... sigh

improved manual
a more clear description for complex function, and covering of every parameters, there are parameters of Motion designer and PFX which are not described, shader like g-mill not covered be cause docs are missed... (g.mill was add to lw with lw7) with 7.5 was reintroduced for intel version the new and innovative net render called stealthnet, but not yet documented, if someone want to use it, he must download doc of 6.5 pdf and learn from it (original stealthnet was eliminated from 7 for some problems, and was reintegrated like stealthnet+ in 7.5 but not documented or quoted in new features of newtek) stealthnet was what evolution of screamernet controller must be:
it can controll with a most flexible interface many cpu and scene, you can change and organize cpu to scene, scene to cpu, priority, order of scene, you can see thumbnail of frame renderd and more.

a simple scene sample for every function of layout can be more owerful than other 1000 pages of manual
if you check on line manual of max, you can see many sample scene, or animated gif, or movie to show the working of every parameter and function.
i remember the original documentation of Motion designer 1, when it was a external commercial plugin. every parameter is described clear and simple, with two gif which the effects of that parameter.

Switch from one camera to another during render
i can do that with external plug, but i think is not a real problem, if i work with single images, i can do all with one camera with all motion key setted like stepped in graph editor, if i work in animation i never work on a single scene with camera changment, is not a professional approach, for many reason for flexibility, for editing reason, for render time reason and more.

Improved handling of large model files in modeler/layout
i agree, when you load a lot of large model or large images file, lw is not real efficient, for opengl (slow down to produce openglversion of texture, and not save it, then mean every time i produce a very big scene with a loto of big images mapped on obj, i loss a lot of time to attend that lw build low res version of my texture, and every time i reload the scene, this process are replicated.
i think NT must improved a large scene managing with more swichable option, and a lot of automatic lod function.

Photometric support
i prefer a fake support, every fake which game engine designer know and use to fake GI. i prefer to find similar effects than real, optical simulation, often is faster then real simulation, and for a estetic reproduction is good.

my 2 cent.

Dorian
01-28-2004, 03:41 AM
So, what happend to HW (video board) rendering at video dimensions? I thought this was coming to LW8? This is a HUGE advantage that Maya now has, and one of the most important productivity features Newtek could possibly have added. Is it coming in a 8.1 release? Argh............

JDaniel
02-11-2004, 02:42 PM
-What about actual normal displacement from painted uvmaps on sds objects. No it doesn't work now.
-And how about a shader ,or make a blending mode option, to scale texture based on poly size/or vertex population. Meaning your texture would tighten up around hi poly areas and loosen around larger areas. Great for characters/creatures!
-And some subpixel displacement so I can render my Z-Brush objects in LW instead of another app.
-Make LW Baker faster and better quality renders.

BnE
02-13-2004, 03:03 AM
i would just ask the possibility to choose another renderer like brazil mental ray etc.... because radiosity in lightwave is way tooo slow compared to the actual possibilities. since Newtek just doesn't upgrade their renderer speed, they should make lightwave able to use another renderer....

And FIX that DAMN UV DEFORMATION WITH SUBPATCH!

and also better booleans than the ones we have...(take a look at Cinema 4d)

3Demon
02-18-2004, 11:47 AM
Hey Guys,

Hijacking, cross-posted spam has been removed by Moderator.

tburbage
02-29-2004, 02:10 PM
Echoing onto Jacky Daniels' comments:

Focus on continuing to develop and enhance the dataflow of subdivision surface meshes through the rendering pipeline. This would include updated SDS topology support -- at least true edge weighting and distortionless UV coordinate interpolation from cage to subdivided mesh, then native support in the renderer for both RenderMan-like (or ZBrush) pixel-based displacement.

JDaniel
02-29-2004, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by JDaniel
-What about actual normal displacement from painted uvmaps on sds objects. No it doesn't work now.

I have to correct myself on my first comment. I wish someone else could have told me a year ago. Well, someone did, but they didn't tell that there's a difference w/ boned meshes. And that's where my problem was. Anyways... ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS CHANGE THE SUBDIVISION ORDER TO AFTER BONES, TO BE ABLE TO USE YOUR painted BUMP MAP AS A DISPLACEMENT MAP W/BUMP DISPLACEMENT. :D :D