PDA

View Full Version : RLA Images with Depth and Vue 5

shmedia
07-18-2005, 04:28 PM
Hi, I'm trying to render part of a scene in Lightwave and part in Vue 5 Infinte.
The problem is Vue 5 has true depth when I save RLA images, but Lightwave seems to only have a foreground and background. When I merge the two images the elements in the Ligthwave image seem to be on one plane that cane either be infront of all of the Vue items or behind them. There is no middle ground. Does anyone know how to get Lightwave to use all the information possible in the depth chanel of RLA files?

Mylenium
07-18-2005, 11:02 PM
Hi, I'm trying to render part of a scene in Lightwave and part in Vue 5 Infinte.
The problem is Vue 5 has true depth when I save RLA images, but Lightwave seems to only have a foreground and background. When I merge the two images the elements in the Ligthwave image seem to be on one plane that cane either be infront of all of the Vue items or behind them. There is no middle ground. Does anyone know how to get Lightwave to use all the information possible in the depth chanel of RLA files?

You cannot use RLA depth at all in LW. You need a compositing program to properly merge your images but even then there are certain problems.

Mylenium

shmedia
07-19-2005, 06:00 AM
Thanks, I'm using Digital Fusion to composite. Trying to use the Channel Boolenas tool. Not sure exactly what settings to use. In the past RLA images have their own depth info. I'm trying to figure out how use an external image for depth.

Anyway, I'm also exploring to other options. One is using the "Depth Buffer Export" plugin provided by someone on this site. (Thank You) the other is to investigate the Pel Z Tool suggested by someone else on this site. The Depth Buffer export seems to provide nice grayscale images, but for me there still seems to be a bunch of guess work to get the depth right when compositing.

MonroePoteet
07-19-2005, 10:29 AM
I've never done the RLA depth export, and I can't find a freeware RLA file reader, so forgive me if this is a stupid question.

There's an Image Filter plug-in called Deluxe RLA which appears to allow specification of the depth buffer format in the created RLA files. The plug-in includes something called "FP" for the depth buffer format, which I'd assume stands for "floating point". I take it this doesn't correctly export the internal floating-point depth buffer?

mTp