PDA

View Full Version : Siggraph05 - Chuck

pixeltek
07-18-2005, 03:20 AM
Hi Chuck
Last year, because the freebie pass number to Siggraph was released with just one day to spare upon my prompt (I realize that before the show you guys get insanely busy), I "threatened" to remind you. I recall you happily agreed to that at the time. Ok, here is the reminder. If you are to kindly once more release a number for us to get free passes to the exhibition, please let us know.

Sincerely

Karl

BeeVee
07-18-2005, 04:28 AM
http://www.newtek.com/shows/siggraph/2005/index.php - been there for over a month... :)

B

pixeltek
07-19-2005, 02:33 AM
Thanks ever so much, I've been on the road for the last 35 days (from Turkey to Germany - trip schedule - http://www.cosmic-pearl.com/euro01c.htm) and was kind of out of touch. Figures, I find myself way behind the courve this time. I'll be finally home in 10 days. Right now I'm in Düsseldorf.

Looking forward to seeing all of you in LA.

Karl

BeeVee
07-19-2005, 02:42 AM
Ah, sounds very much like my visit to Japan in 1999 - we booked the first hotel and then just travelled as we could in the country ( a JR railpass is an essential item!). Admittedly it was only two weeks instead of your mammoth 35 days, but then I was only in one country as opposed to you several. Have you enjoyed it so far? Did the French treat you alright? ;)

B

pixeltek
07-29-2005, 06:44 AM
Well, I'm finally back and am looking forward to Siggraph. Thanks again for info, and to Newtek for their annual generosity of supplying the passes. I purchased the extra access to the keynote by George Lucas.

I've never had a problem with the French, and usually tell people if they want rude, to go to New York, Chicago, or LA. In fact, all of the Americans I talked to reported similar pleasant experiences. I think some radical media is perpetuating the myth of American-hating rude French, I'm sure. Wherever I went and said I was American it was "oh, cool". The same was true in Germany, BTW. In fact, the only person who yelled at me calling me and Bush "murderers, killers" and screamed that it was people such as me and Bush that made him "ashamed of his American citizenship". The guy was an English teacher from Florida. This on a train from Sofia to Istanbul. Luckily it was a night train, and I had my own private cabin and could exclude the intolerant clown from my vicinity.

Just sifting through the 597 emails that accumulated in those 43 days, and you guessed it, well over 500 are SPAM.

Again, thanks for your help,
Karl

BeeVee
07-29-2005, 06:50 AM
That's been my experience and even in LA I've had friendly contact with LA natives. However, I am a cyclist and, considering the Tour de France, the French do leave something to be desired when it comes to their road use - the only way to get respect on a bike is if you are on a monster racing bike (a VTC in the local parlance) and wearing a lycra outfit with a yellow jersey on the top...

Congrats to Lance btw. a well-deserved record!

B

pixeltek
07-29-2005, 07:16 AM
Indeed, they have their favorites, and if you want to get down into the dirt, what some people might call rude, is their traffic behavior. However, here one must keep in mind that they target everyone, not just Americans. At other times I find them astoundingly patient and accommodating at crossings.
I only pointed out those US cities to underscore that rude can be found anywhere. I've lived in or visited all of them and if you are an outsider, running afoul of local rules, you may be treated either rudely, or, on the other hand, given special consideration, in any of them.

Yes, Lance is a unique specimen, that's for sure. It will be a long time if ever, there'll be anyone with his genetics and tenacity again.

Karl
http://www.cosmic-pearl.com/
(soon to be updated - post Siggraph)

pixeltek
07-30-2005, 10:06 AM
Very disappointing. I just read that, unlike in previous years, only full conference attendees get to see the keynote address (and take pictures). I paid the $25 extra, because they made it sound as if you needed that this time to get into the keynote address. Now I find out that regardless of the $25 extra, I can only see the address on close circuit TV. I guess I've been going to the show for so long (off and on since the 80s), that I am going with certain expectations, only to discover that the siggraph people too discovered how to squeeze more and more $$ out of the attendees by subdividing everything into these extra little full or partial pay categories, and now even the Keynote address is closed to all but the maximum paying group. Figures, it's George Lucas, superstar. ****! No pics.

Karl