PDA

View Full Version : Bug Problem when closing 8.3 on OSX 10.4.2

finenance
07-17-2005, 08:33 PM
Is it just me but every time I finish for the day on modeler and close out the application the program crashes. I dont mind so much because I was quiting anyhow, but It starting to become annoying seeing this happen everytime Im done. Any suggestions?

Using G5 Dual 2.0,OSX10.4.2, 1.5 ram

toby
07-18-2005, 12:29 AM
Your preference file may be the culprit. This is normally overwritten when you quit. If you crash during quitting, the preference file will either not be overwritten, or may become corrupted. The next time you start Modeler, it loads this corrupted file and crashes again when you quit.

Throw away the preference file ( MacIntoshHD/Users/you/library/preferences/LightWave Modeler 8 Prefs) and see if that helps - Be warned, this will reset the interface and keyboard shortcuts back to default.

3dworks
07-18-2005, 05:17 AM
Is it just me but every time I finish for the day on modeler and close out the application the program crashes. I dont mind so much because I was quiting anyhow, but It starting to become annoying seeing this happen everytime Im done. Any suggestions?

Using G5 Dual 2.0,OSX10.4.2, 1.5 ram

it happens to mee too, but in layout. it has apparently something to do with memory management, because it happens only after using fprime heavily or after working with very heavy (polys and textures) scenes. usually the prefs reload fine at the next launch and don't crash the application on the next quit if only opening layout and closing it again immediately.

markus

finenance
07-18-2005, 04:04 PM
Thanks toby and 3d works, Im sort of new to this. I had cleared out my preference and it is no longer crashing, but now I have to redo all my settings and plugin shortcuts, which is no problem, but I have a funny feeling it will happen again in the future unless an update comes out to prevent this bug from happening again. I would hate to have to reset my pref. everytime it would happen.

marlo.steed
07-18-2005, 08:17 PM
Yes, I have the exact same problem on both of my computers (Powerbook G4 and G3). I had recently trashed the preferences and the same problem is back - crashing on quit.

mwh710
07-18-2005, 08:38 PM
Don't feel alone, My program crashes on quit too...

toby
07-18-2005, 11:33 PM
You can save a duplicate copy if the preferences ( do it now while they're good ) and then just move them into the preference folder whenever this happens.

This once happened to me for an extensive period, and I got so tired of replacing the pref files that I just write-protected them. I've heard that his can cause problems too, but it helped in my case.

riki
07-18-2005, 11:58 PM
It's been a well documented and a consistant problem with Liightwave on OS X. Not just realed to 10.4.2.
I hope something gets done to fix it.

firstsingle
07-26-2005, 11:22 AM
Yeah that's been going on with me since v.7
It's anoying. Thanks for the tip on how to fix it though guys.

finenance
07-27-2005, 10:43 PM
I just wanted to follow up with everyone. I had dumb my preferences and things had been crash free, as of a few days ago!!! I started to get fustrated and was ready to do the preference thing again until I accidently came across something.

You see I had upgraded my stock graphic card out my PowerMac (Specs: G5 dual 2.0ghz. 1.5mb ram) a few months back. I had purchased the ATI Radeon 9800 Pro MAC Special Edition with 256vram. Installed software that it came with in the rest, history. So, one day out of boredom I just happen to open up the ATI application and started checking the preference. I went into the 3D screen which had something called open GL overrides which allows you to add any program and adjust the settings. Well, I add lightwave to it and had used one of the application presets "High Performance". Ever since than the crashing stop. So far it has been a week and no crashes even when I use Saslite in Layout no crashes. I don't know if this is a solution are how long it will last but it seems to work for so far.

Radamanthys
07-28-2005, 07:08 AM
got same problem, brand new powermac dur 2 GHz, with OS X.4.2 and a Geforce 6800 DDL

Lets hope it will be fixed with LW 8.5

finenance
08-13-2005, 04:32 PM
I just wanted to follow up with everyone. I had dumb my preferences and things had been crash free, as of a few days ago!!! I started to get fustrated and was ready to do the preference thing again until I accidently came across something.

You see I had upgraded my stock graphic card out my PowerMac (Specs: G5 dual 2.0ghz. 1.5mb ram) a few months back. I had purchased the ATI Radeon 9800 Pro MAC Special Edition with 256vram. Installed software that it came with in the rest, history. So, one day out of boredom I just happen to open up the ATI application and started checking the preference. I went into the 3D screen which had something called open GL overrides which allows you to add any program and adjust the settings. Well, I add lightwave to it and had used one of the application presets "High Performance". Ever since than the crashing stop. So far it has been a week and no crashes even when I use Saslite in Layout no crashes. I don't know if this is a solution are how long it will last but it seems to work for so far.

8/13/05
Okay this didn't Work neither it stills crashes at end of close. Why do I love Newtek and Apple so much? Can any body answer this?

toby
08-13-2005, 05:13 PM
I'm guessing that you're working on a fair amount of geometry and/or textures/UV mapping - if crashing on quit is really a problem, you could try closing all objects before quitting - I've noticed that can help, especially in Layout. It seems when LW is loading or dumping a lot of ram at once it's vulnerable to crashes

Johnny
08-15-2005, 08:44 AM
I have noticed one thing: if you're quitting Layout, don't do ANYTHING for a second or two until you're sure Layout has quit.

THEN click on the finder, move to another app, whatever. It might also be a good idea to clear the scene so that you have a blank layout, and THEN quit.

I still get quits, but they are much more rare using the methods I describe above.

J

eblu
08-15-2005, 12:57 PM
this is one of those bugs that has been with us from day one.

layout, and modeler, both crash on application close. Toby described the only known solution. the problem is that the apps save multiple preference files, wherever they feel like. You have to find and throw all of these files away.
it means you either have to keep multiple backups of your pref files, or just use the default config. I use the default config after 3 years of fighting the unstable nature of LW.

And even if you are able to keep up with corrupt pref files, it may not fix the problem, this is because Lightwave has one bug piled on another, after another. and during the house keeping it has to do in order to close out, any one of those bugs can trip, and make things messy. For instance, one bug may cause a crash while LW is quitting, which in turn corrupts the pref file. Now you have crashes that are due to the corrupt pref file. You eliminate your pref files, but you still haven't done anything about the original problem!

This is one of the hardest problems to identify in an application. it appears to be random, it appears to not be isolated to any specific configuration. Its not easy to test, nor identify, so this immensely debilitating bug has been ignored for years. I would assume that this aint getting fixed, at least you won't be disappointed.

pantone
08-15-2005, 03:28 PM
One thing that has made life easier for me was to edit my config files to store the preferences in a location other than the system folder.

I now have my config files for modeler, layout, and hub pointing to the Lightwave application directory. (I created a new folder called "preferences") This makes it much eaiser to replace them when needed. (I keep a folder called "Backup Prefs" in the same location.)

Oddly, I've done this on my work computer and my home computer. The work computer hasn't had the crash on quit bug since I made the change. My home computer has experienced the crash a few times...but it's far less than it used to be.

Johnny
08-18-2005, 05:47 PM
the quit-fest that LW seems to have become is REALLY a pain in the crack. I've had more fun stepping on sharp pieces of busted glass.

I know that some problems might be hard to track down, but JEEPERS! Not being able to work in an app bcs it messes its drawers and quits with little provocation is something I'd think would deserve priority.

It's about work flow and being able to produce. Fancy features are good, but the basics are still important, too. Being able to work and to save are what I'd call basic.

In fact, they're foundations which make all software worth even using.

And while I hate to be harsh here, but this kind of quitting and other hinky behavior isn't what I'd consider pro.

J