PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a Video Toaster Screamer (from 1993)

fatorangecat
07-17-2005, 08:05 PM
Hi-

Remember the Screamer? I was involved in the industrial design and am looking for one (working or not). Anyone have one of these around?

Thanks- J

robewil
07-17-2005, 09:04 PM
I remember being at the Newtek party in Buena Park, Ca when that product was announced. Unfortunately, Newtek never shipped it. They later decided it was not a good idea to get into the computer hardware business so they just shipped the networking software that they developed (Screamernet). So, unless you are extremely fortunate to find someone with a trade show demo or something like that, you are not going to have much success.

fatorangecat
07-18-2005, 09:18 AM
Thanks your your reply. I wish I coulda made that opening.

If I remember right, we made about 35 housings for NewTek. So there must be some out there somewhere...

paulrus
07-18-2005, 10:51 AM
I think John Gross had one (or more) when he was with Amblin Imaging. But I think they were just loaners - they were never available for sale.

PG

paulrus
07-18-2005, 10:54 AM
Just found this: http://www.windowsitpro.com/Windows/Article/ArticleID/2429/2429.html

Joe Conti Design
Joe Conti, whose computer graphics work can be seen on hit television shows such as Hercules, started Joe Conti Design with several rooms full of Commodore Amigas (a total of about 40 machines) running LightWave 3D software from NewTek (see the sidebar "Move over, SGI; NT is here!" on page 56). He also had one of the few NewTek Screamer systems in existence. (A Screamer was a specialized quad-processor MIPS R4400 system running NT that required a graphical front-end, such as the Amiga.) Conti's systems were connected to an Ethernet LAN, and the Screamer was the high-speed rendering engine. Using distributive rendering, all the machines could be running at the same time, grinding at different portions of the same 3D scene.

pnelson
07-25-2005, 06:27 AM
We don't have one for sale but I would be happy to take a few picures of one for you! ;->

See ya,