PDA

View Full Version : LWas a 3D package and its future.....

jat
07-15-2005, 04:48 PM
I just wanted to ask everyone what their thoughts are on LW as a package and how it compares to other packages. I am specifically looking for opinions and thoughts about how the modeling side of things rates and if it couldn't be much better - here I think about Mirai and its edge based modeling features etc. Is newtek falling behind or are they where they should be or should they be giving us more elegant and streamlined options to compete with the other guys. I've always looked at how we model in LW, resulting geometry, how clean it is, how it translates to the animation side of things etc - I'm no pro so maybe you guys can enlighten me on this. No flames please I'm just trying to get the pulse of things. And what about work places - does LW have a secondary role , a primary one or is it just used here and there in a few spots?

What about animation in LW? Is it as good as can be? Undo limit fixed? What about character animation tools - are they good or just good enough? Any problems on the Mac platform aren't being addressed Hope you all can share your thoughts - I appreciate it.

James

theo
07-16-2005, 10:18 AM
I think you'll find many of us weary of this line of questioning so with all due respect friend have you spent much time investigating the forum for these answers?

I know there have been several extensive and useful elaborations on this subject matter in the last year or so in these forums.

Spinquad has also had a few very rousing and interesting discussions along these lines. You may want to check out this thread that was started by Kurv here- http://www.spinquad.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4832&highlight=kurv

evenflcw
07-16-2005, 11:07 AM
Wait another two three weeks for Siggraph and decide for yourself. Maybe you get lucky and you'll even hear about Mirai's future. Until then use what you got and take theos advice.

mattclary
07-16-2005, 12:18 PM
Or, here's a crazy thought, get the demo of each and decide for yourself.

Go here to download a demo of LW:
http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/downloads/lightwave75.php

ravantra
07-18-2005, 07:44 AM
Use whatever tool gets the job done and stop "stressing" over LW significance in the overall meaning of life.....If drawing with a marker will get it done great, if it requires LW just as good. Please don't take offense to the above comments I just feel we sometimes spend too much time worrying too much about everything...... :)