PDA

View Full Version : Subpatch point weirdness

WShawn
07-15-2005, 12:57 PM
Hello:

I've been tasked with creating an animation in which a spa rises from a pool of water on a wood deck. I've worked out some particle animations to make raindrops congeal into a pool of water. I modeled the spa as a subpatched object, saved it, then grabbed the points at the bottom and spread them out and squished it down a bit and saved that, then moved all the points to 0 on the Y axis using Set Value and distorted the edges out to create a sort of pool of water shape and saved that.

My plan was to morph the flattened spa to the intermediate squished spa to the final spa, but I'm having a problem in layout. According to layout, with the Display SubPatch Level set to 3 for all objects, the middle stage and final spa have 10830 points, but the flattened spa has 10510 points, and thus it won't allow me to morph from the flattened spa to the others. All three have 1176 SubPatches. If I set the Display SubPatch Level to 0 it shows all three spas as having 1103 points.

My workaround has been to manually squish down the spa to a flat pool by using the stretch tool. Any guess as to why flattening the model using Set Value to 0 on the Y axis would create this point anomaly when the display subpatch level is higher than 0?

Thanks.

Shawn Marshall
Marshall Arts Motion Graphics

Surrealist.
07-15-2005, 02:03 PM
Just a quick clairification. Are these spa versions separate objects or morph maps?

Jumping to the chase, have you tried it as morph maps? Or is it because you want to morph surfaces?

Perhaps there is a workaround for morhping the surfaces.

Just a couple of quick thoughts.

Regarding your set up though, I have a feeling that with the flattened spa, there are some points that are occupying the same space and is fooling LW somehow, perhaps the way it determines morphs. I don't know. You could try looking at the model in modeler and see if this is the case and perhaps you can then redo the flattened object so that you leave just a fraction of space between all of the points.

WShawn
07-15-2005, 03:28 PM
Thanks for the reply.

The three stages of the spa morph are three separate models which I'm morphing through the multi-target/single envelope method.

I initially made endomorphs with the base spa and two morph maps for the flattened (Set Value to 0 Y) and intermediate stage, and those did morph using Morph Mixer, however, I couldn't get the spa to flatten completely out. I was still getting details in what should have been a completely flattened object. I'm not very experienced with morph mixer, but it's acting like it still wants to have some of the base object geometry in there, even when morphed 100% to the flattened state.

Something's happening when LW bumps up the geometry to a subpatch level above 0. At 0 it shows all objects with the same number of points; it's when you go to level 1 or 2 or 3, etc. that the point amount changes.

My squished workaround in working; I was just wondering if others had experience similar anomalies. This is happening in both LW 7.5 and 8.3 (on Mac OS 10.3.5)

Thanks

Shawn Marshall
Marshall Arts Motion Graphics

Surrealist.
07-15-2005, 07:38 PM
Something's happening when LW bumps up the geometry to a subpatch level above 0. At 0 it shows all objects with the same number of points; it's when you go to level 1 or 2 or 3, etc. that the point amount changes.

Try offsetting the points and see if that fixes it.