PDA

View Full Version : Microphone issues on G5.. some experienced here?

Ge4-ce
07-15-2005, 07:43 AM
Sorry, don't know where to put this, it actually doesn't belong to these forums, but here are some tech professionals who can help me...

I recently bought a headset microphone-headphone thingy from Logitech. I plugged it into my G5 and it doesnt work!

After doing some research, I noticed that the Line-in is not a Mic-in!! the db are not the same.. the headset cost me about 40$ and I cannot use it.. now I figured out a way to use it via my camcorder. I can get the signal to work in Final Cut Pro, but not on the normal system to use it with other apps..

is there a way to get this thing to work on a G5? are there cheap mic-in lines available (hardware) is there software to root this signal via DV into my G5?

what are my options?

thanks!

Avebeno
07-16-2005, 01:00 AM
I purchased a Griffin iMic at Fry's electronics, I've seen them at the apple store too. It works well for me. Good luck!

Johnny
07-17-2005, 09:05 AM
After doing some research, I noticed that the Line-in is not a Mic-in!! the db are not the same..

I've been there..I find it bamboozling that there is no mic input on G5s as there has been on 'pro' macs all the way back when.

I got this, a USB mic:

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/70603/wo/3H7hr1kNvLAT3m7stJPLDixOUhB/4.0.11.1.0.6.25.7.11.3.3

Works great, sounds great, doesn't need batteries...not a professional microphone, but for $30, not too shabby.

J

Ge4-ce
07-17-2005, 09:18 AM
Hmmm.. yeah. I just made a mistake. I thought the line-in also would swallow a mic. But it didn't.

I should have bought USB. but I use USB a lot, and I didn't had any USB ports left, and I thougt, just a stereo-plug would do fine.

I bought a headset mic from Logitech. (see picture) to perform my new hobby VATSIM (online VOIP network for real people ATC for a flightsimulator X-Plane) And I kinda wanted that model of headset.

Since I invested 40$ in that headset and I cannot return it and cannot use it, I'm looking for a USB kinda audio box on wich I can connect my Mic. but offcourse I will take this oppertunity to by a USB audio box with multiple I/O like normal stereo etc.. Ok, I have to invest more, but at least, I get more and don't have to throw one mic away..

Or I can say there's an image of Jezus on this mic's foam and sell it on eBay for 10 000$ :D

Johnny
07-17-2005, 09:46 AM
well, my thinkin on that is shame on apple for taking away mic inputs! how much would it have cost for them to include a regular mic-in!

every desktop mac I've ever bought had a microphone in 'til now..and the "most advanced, most powerful computer on earth" is missing what seems to have become a standard feature.

good luck with your sitch.

riki
07-17-2005, 09:17 PM
My Logitech USB headset/mic seems to work okay. I'm not sure what model it is though.

Ge4-ce
07-18-2005, 01:13 AM
My Logitech USB headset/mic seems to work okay. I'm not sure what model it is though.

If I would have bought the USB, it would also have worked, but mine is with ordinary stereo 3.5mm plugs.. (as I thought I could save an extra USB port)

and then it appeared that the line-in stereo on my G5 would not take the mic... :(

riki
07-18-2005, 01:38 AM
yeah actually I did the same, ended up giving the first headset to a friend (pc owner), then orderred the usb one.