PDA

View Full Version : LW-powered game "Absolute Blue" on the shelf

Emmanuel
07-15-2005, 07:48 AM
Hi,

I hope it ain't too off-topic, but here's a photo of our game Absolute Blue (graphics completely modeled, animated and rendered with :lwicon: LightWave3D)
on the shelf of a software and electronics shop :)
Mission complete :)

Lamont
07-15-2005, 11:39 AM
Sweet!! A happy ending!! Hehehe!!

Where's my signed copy?

interNEKO
07-17-2005, 02:49 AM
Congratulations! I, and probably many others here, would be interested in hearing about your experiences using Lightwave for your product. Did you license an engine, or go with some proprietary format?

Emmanuel
07-17-2005, 07:57 AM
Hi,

well, AB is "just" a 2D game in case You didn't know, so we actually used BlitzBasic3D for it and mixed 2d/3d routines.
That's the only "engine" used, if You will.
Since most of the stuff is prerendered 2d (except for a few occasional 3D elements), LightWave was a robust, easy and fast way to create all the content for the game.We used the Spriteedger to get a clean edge for the sprites, and the massive backgrounds where created using a lot of volumetrics and effects such as fog.
Since the animation of the sprites was pretty linear, LightWave's Layout allowed us to easily setup, light, animate and render everything.
Hypervoxels were used both in surface and sprite mode for various effects (such as animated organic blobs, whispy fire effects and smoke).
For the future we plan to go more realtime 3D, but our next 3-5 projects will all be done in 2D and LightWave is our one and only 3D package for everything.