PDA

View Full Version : Tricaster Editing

wftiv
07-14-2005, 11:01 PM
I will be using the Tricaster edit function to build program segments for a live magazine show we are doing as part of a large conference. The Tricaster edit function works similar to the VT[4] editor, with some noticable differences. But the differences are mostly in how the interface works and how the control tree functions have been "dumbed down". And then there is the audio. The little "living room" interface is nice, but I have not really found a good use for the sofa and speaker balance control. Setting levels with the virtual fades is nice, BUT.......better not ever hit undo. It undoses all audio changes and sends all fades to "0"...not just the audio on the clip that you have highlighted, but every clip in the project. Even if you have done multiple saves as you are making changes. It "0's" them all. This can't be right! Is this a know issue or is this something unique to my Tricaster?

Paul Lara
07-15-2005, 09:16 AM
Just tried it, and it undid each node, one at a time, Bill.
Perhaps close to Admin mode, and then run Reset Configs on the desktop and see if it clears that up.

wftiv
07-15-2005, 03:37 PM
Thanks Paul,
I will take a look at your suggested solution. Also, it does seem that if you set a key frame at the beginning of every audio section you are adjusting, the undo will not go back to previous clips. We will test this extensively and let you know what we discover. And the "sofa-speaker" balance interface...how is this useful. Am I missing something? I have mono audio on two different track in the original footage (different microphones on each). The old faders in VT[3] Edit Properties panel made life very simple. You could adjust each channed separtely and make a nicely balanced mono track...good for voice and other mono sources. What is the best way to do this in the tricaster?
Regards,
Bill

valleyvideo
07-28-2005, 06:48 AM
Had my Tricaster for a week now and so far I haven't had any success editing.....after a whole week! Yes it's great live but for post it's horrible (in my opinion). It crashes constantly, mixes up edit points, freezes, locks, hickups, you name it. Newtek says it's a new version but I swear it seems like a Beta Test version. I love the idea of a Tricaster and I couldn't afford a "real" Toaster so I got this thinking I would save money. Everytime you use the title templates you can't see the pages till you drop them on the timeline. That's about 177 pages that have no thumbnails, descriptions, or names. There doesn't even exsist a paper by Newtek to show or describe the title pages. In order to use them in the edit mode you must drag them down page by page to the timeline to view them. As a post production system even on a limited scale the Tricaster fails miserably. I'm ready to throw it out the window. Woe is me!

wftiv
07-28-2005, 11:00 AM
I have done a good amount of editing on the Tricaster and while it does not function EXACTLY like the VT[4], since you don't have one, it should not matter. I have not found anything that I can't do...I am sure there is, but so far I have not found it. Even got some good advice on custom buliding some overlays. And crashing...well, mine has been runing 24/7 for a couple of weeks now, plus been to NYC a couple of time, and even edited an entire project on an external drive hooked to the Tricaster so that I could easily move it to one of the VT[4]s here. Perhaps you have some software issues but the only problem I know of is loosing the control of the overlays via the VM option when you come back from any other part of the Tricaster to the switcher. Newtek will fix that in the next build I am told.

It would be intersting to know more specifically what file types you are using and what exactly causes the system to crash. Hmmmm....I had better go play with mine so it does not get lonely sitting there running so perfectly.

Good luck with finding the solutions!

valleyvideo
07-29-2005, 10:21 AM
Bill,
On second thought or better yet after many hours I can now honestly say I don't know why I was getting freezes and cashes but I am doing way better. In fact other than the usual complaints I think I'm falling back in "love" with the Tricaster. I've since edited a music video and a wedding demo and both look great! I'm sorry if I jumped the gun a little. All thiose Newtek people were really nice. They must have thought I was having a midlife crisis! Peace!

DonN
07-30-2005, 02:04 PM
This may be asking too much of the TriCaster, but

Has anyone tried to create a Editor Project in the VT and bring it over to the TC, or vise-versa?
Say on a firewire drive.
Now that would be very sweet.

Don

wftiv
07-30-2005, 05:58 PM
I have created an edited project on the Tricaster and moved it to the VT[4] and it worked well. It would not move to the VT[3] (yet to be upgraded), but the VT[4] recognized the project and all the files. The key to success was having all the files on an esternal 300GB drive and in one folder. Then I just connecting that drive via USB to the VT[4]. I have yet to try the opposite, but I have a feeling it will work. I will let you know of my success. The Tricaster is so capable, I could have completed the whole project on the Tricaster, but I wanted to use some of the glow effect that I bought from "Bob" of Bob's Multicam fame. And since Bob will not allow his software to reside on more than one computer, even in the same edit suite, it makes these kinds of shuffleing games necessary.

Good luck with your editing and discovering new uses for the Tricaster...the best little black box known to mankind. Ever read a review of the Sony Anycast...always the same final review comment.....great idea and great capabilities, but way too expensive for most people's budget. The Tricaster costs 1/4 of the Anycaster's list and has all the same capabilities. It really must be a hard sell when the Sony sales guys go out into the world with thier box.

Bill

Jim_C
07-30-2005, 06:35 PM
... And since Bob will not allow his software to reside on more than one computer, <snip>

Not just that, but Newtek will not allow any third party plug ins for Tricaster, so unfortunately we can't expect ANY of Bob's(or other's) goodness to EVER carry over.

I'm sure they have reasons, but kinda a bummer.

wftiv
07-30-2005, 07:17 PM
Perhpas it is a bummer, but when the system begins to have conflict becasue of 3rd party software, none of us will be too happy. The box is so powerful as is, I don't see a big need for a lot of third party stuff. And if you have a VT[4], for example, you can move edited projects there for finalization. I guess there are a couple of thrid part things that might be good to use, but I will gladly do with out them for the beautiy of the box. Plus, there are a whole lot of plug-ins on the Tricaster and something on there is labeled as "Bob something"....can't remember what it is. I have not specifically used the offered plugins yet. So although I have done a fair amount of editing on the Tricaster, I have not needed many..or any..of the special stuff, except maybe that glow effect which you can duplicate if you just play around with the setting in the Tricaster's controls. Not easy..not every elegant to use...but it does work. (Kind of particular to weddings.)

And as a long time believer in "LESS IS MORE" I don't go crazy for the effects anyhow. When was the last time you saw page-peels in a major motion picture. Years ago, a big time editor in NYC told me...."Cuts, disolves, and fades, if you can do that with your editor, you can tell a complete story."
But then MTV came along and we got totally lost in effects and other weirdness....where is the sotry?

Sorry for the digression....use the VT[4] to put the 3rd party stuff in if you must. Maybe if you can't afford both, you will actually end up telling better "stories."
Bill

Jim_C
07-30-2005, 07:47 PM
Third party plug ins are not all page peels and glow effects.

They also include any external midi control of the TriCaster (which a dealer has already said he could do, if allowed), external control of the audio board seems pretty important for a live switcher if you ask me.

Yea, no kidding, cuts, dissolves and fades tell a story. That's editing 101.

What affording both has to do with telling good stories is beyond me. But I guess that is some attempt at a final point.

wftiv
07-31-2005, 04:41 AM
Well, the point is Newtek made something very good at a price point that is VERY good. Now some are busy complaining about what it can't allow them to do. Rather, I think it would be better to look at all it CAN do and move forward. If you want all the plug-in stuff and third-party stuff, Newtek has already given you that possibility with the VT[4]. Pick your system and be happy Newtek did not make the Tricaster a $19,000 box like the Anycast. Is anyone ever happy with what they can have or do we all have to complain about what we can't have?

Bill

DiscreetFX
08-02-2005, 11:09 PM
Well, the point is Newtek made something very good at a price point that is VERY good. Now some are busy complaining about what it can't allow them to do. Rather, I think it would be better to look at all it CAN do and move forward. If you want all the plug-in stuff and third-party stuff, Newtek has already given you that possibility with the VT[4]. Pick your system and be happy Newtek did not make the Tricaster a $19,000 box like the Anycast. Is anyone ever happy with what they can have or do we all have to complain about what we can't have?

Bill

Well said Bill, very true. TriCaster is a fantastic value @ $4995. One third party developer has made their products available for TriCaster via USB 2.0 Flashdrives. They are just DVE's but for those that need them they are a nice add-on for TriCaster.

www.discreetfx.com