PDA

View Full Version : fan noise

pdrake
07-14-2005, 04:37 PM
so, i'm sitting here at work with my piece of crap dell p4 and i can't hear anything over the freaking fan. will the new intel macs make this much noise?

riki
07-14-2005, 07:19 PM
My last two Macs went through a stange where they both sounded like a dying cow. In both cases it was this cheap plastic fan on the video card. Of course you have to replace the whole card, rather than just the $5 fan, a bit of a scam in my opinion. In my case the second time I just ignored it and eventually after a few months the noise went away. The fan was still working though.

art
07-14-2005, 08:45 PM
You should hear the fan on my AMD chip, most intel computers i've heard so far including Dells (with the exception of some big servers) are silent compared to this, hehe

toby
07-15-2005, 12:48 AM
I had to replace a fan on my graphics card on my G4, it made that same noise, I found a similar replacement at an electronics store - didn't fit very well, so I made it fit. :hammer:

My G5 is the quietest machine I've ever heard. You cannot hear it unless there's no other noise at all. I doubt the newer Macs will get much louder.

Viktim of Life
07-15-2005, 01:03 AM
something i did was took a drill and put one of those bits on it that are for sanding things down, turned the computer off, opened up the case, and grinded down the edges of the fan blades.
that stopped the noise.

the source of noise was the fan blades rubbing against the casing of the fan, although in many cases thats probably not the source of noise

blabberlicious
07-15-2005, 07:44 AM
I love my G5, 2.5.

Easily the quietest machine I've ever work with.

But...

once the rooms ambient temperature creeps up (a hot summer day), the machine becomes noticeably less stable - particularly when coming out of sleep mode.

I also get nasty read openGL artifects on mesh edges (in all 3d apps), which only happen in 'hot' conditions.

There is a often reported bug/issuie where the mac goes into 'all fans to the deck' mode - and revs all fans at full crank.

Unfortunalty, it remain like this. And was happening during overnight renders - waking the whole house!

If anyone get this. Turn OFF automatic power management and swithch to HIGHEST pefromance in the Prefs>Enegry Saver>Options>Processor Performance.

Lightwolf
07-15-2005, 07:51 AM
so, i'm sitting here at work with my piece of crap dell p4 and i can't hear anything over the freaking fan. will the new intel macs make this much noise?
If Apple is as daft as Dell and puts a desktop CPU in a laptop, yes. Imagine why there is no G5 PowerBook.
Then again, if you had a Pentium-M (Centrino) based Laptop you would rarely hear the fan.

Cheers,
Mike

Johnny
07-17-2005, 09:11 AM
my G5s are pretty quiet except when (a) fans are revving up and (b) on a hot day.

even when the fans are making more noise, the G5 is pretty quiet..must be the fact that the boxes are dead with respect to resonant frequencies. My Dual G4 sounded like a food processor by contrast.

given the fact that a DP G5 has what..9 fans? that apple has done a pretty good job of making the boxes quiet, and is prbly sensitive to the noise issue.

J