PDA

View Full Version : Buffer Memory Errors - HELP

Filmdesigner
07-14-2005, 08:33 AM
I am faced with a recurring series of errors when I go to render. The three most common are "Not Enough Memory For Segment (or Frame) Buffers" and "Image creation failed".
I have noticed LW grabs as much RAM as possible when allocating a buffer for rendering, but it doesn't make any difference whether the render has simple in settings or complicated, large resolution or small.
I am using a 2 Gigg G5 with 4 Gigg of memory. This should be plenty. I gather the error is invoked by my application of image mapping, but the few images used are small in size.

Am I at a loss. Have I missed a setting or two? The file is quite large and contains quite a few bushes of small size and a few trees of moderate size which have not caused problems before. Doesn't appear to make any difference if I remove Radiosity or Raytracing and would, therefore, appear to be an extra issue.

Cheers

toby
07-14-2005, 12:02 PM
Can you be more specific? 'large resolution' or 'small size' doesn't tell us very much - dimensions? What kind of bushes? High poly or texture? How many mb of textures? What resolution are you rendering to?

WizCraker
07-14-2005, 12:02 PM
Have you tried rendering in multiple passes? Also what is your Segment Memory Limit set at? What resolution are you rendering at?

Filmdesigner
07-14-2005, 05:56 PM
The tech specs are as following;
3000 x 1600 pixels, A-A enhanced low, Ray recursions 1, Indirect bounces 1, Radiosity ON for all shrubs and trees (has not caused this error but increases render times obviously), Radiosity at 125%, Single distant light with an illuminated skydome at 125%, Segment memory at 16M ( I have tried various amounts with no success-even 1M), I am not sure what the texture requirements are and will check. The only images are a few bump maps, a BG image of 3 meg and a brick texture of 150k. THe trees have a proceedural bark texture.

The situation is;
The file is sent to render. LW allocates as much RAM as it can (watching the Activity Monitor), the error message appears when less the 150m is remaining. It appears it allocates 3.8G as buffer and the same in Virtual Memory. It seems a lot.

Cheers.

toby
07-14-2005, 10:35 PM
That does sound like a problem. Can you do some tests? Render at 1/4 size, see if it works and how much memory it takes, and render a full size with no textures at all - clear them out, not just turned off -

Also, with a large render, especially if you get a memory error, you should be using F10 instead of F9.

tischbein3
07-15-2005, 12:30 AM
Just guessing:

'was confronted with the same problem when using the psd exporter image filter on large maps.

Filmdesigner
07-15-2005, 02:47 AM
The tests show a deeper issue. I have done numerous tests at various sizes and resolutions, partial renders and limited region renders. I have turned off features and resized images to half their original file sizes.

The same errors.

I got a 1000 x 400 render to go through to the last pass when it crashed Layout. It would appear, or so I think, that I have a corrupted image file or similar.

I don't know how to test texture memory requirements, but will hear about this shortly, I suspect.

I should note here that LW has started to behave badly. I have had approx. 12 crashes today, residual polygons that won't go away and content directory issues.

I will reinstall LW tonight and all the recent upgrades and do a system check and reinstall.

I will post the results later.

Filmdesigner
07-15-2005, 03:30 PM
Okay. I have installed all the updates for LW, OsX and the Video card. When I go to render, LW doesn't freeze, it just sits there thinking. The system is still operational and all looks fine but after 8 hours LW is still thinking.

I am going strip down this model and start it again and will see if there are any corrupted objects or images.

I will start a new Thread about this.

Filmdesigner
07-16-2005, 11:00 AM
Possible solution to crashes;

I had four medium resolution trees in the mid-foreground that used proceedural textures. When I removed them, the render situation improved.If this issue is relating to these several trees, I am not going to be happy considering I have seen scenes with dozens of trees of the same resolution and using image maps all over.

This doesn't make sense to me.

Scene is now rendering.

toby
07-16-2005, 03:29 PM
Did you do a render with no textures at all? I wanted to see if it was your image format that was causing the problem. Tiffs and Jpgs can cause problems, I've had problems with targas as well.

PNGs are the best choice for image maps, and support 8 bit color, which uses 1/3 the memory than 24 bit. Someone on another thread said his crashes ceased almost completely when he switched from jpg and tga -
http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=37074&page=2&pp=40&highlight=stable

Filmdesigner
07-16-2005, 06:41 PM
No, I hadn't thought of a completely clean render. I use Photoshop Pict files at a high quality. I will try and use PNG files for the next test.

That was good advice. I had reduced file sizes but not format. Will try, Thanks.