PDA

View Full Version : HyperVoxels dissolve odd for Volumes?

MrEntropy
07-13-2005, 11:45 PM
I was playing around with the "Relative Particle Age" option in HyperVoxels and ran into an odd issue. I created a simple null leaving a trail of hypervoxels behind. I made the lifespan 30 and age variation 30 so they would die in a nice random manner. Now if I animate dissolve to be a gradient that starts at 0, holds at 0 till say 70% of the life then fades to 1, something very odd happens. If a particle is ovelapping another particle when it fades off, it will pop when it dies. Apparently, everything behind that particle is being held out as if it where completely solid, even when the dissolve is at 90%, leaving a black hole where that particle is. It even renders the matte as 90% transparent even though here are particles behind it at 100%. Once it dies, the particles behind it are visible again and they pop back from black. Very odd. Anyone seen this?

I can make it slightly better by animating opacity and luminosity instead, but only slightly better

toby
07-14-2005, 11:44 AM
I haven't played with it, but a couple things to consider -

Keys in gradients are set to spline by default. With 2 keys at 0 it's very common to get negative values, which can result in odd render artifacts.

Raytrace transparency is often needed to see through HV, which was the main reason it was added. Might help to turn this on -

MrEntropy
07-14-2005, 05:37 PM
I thought I had ray trace transparency on, I'll double check. I tried it with 2 seperate HV systems overlayed, but it behaved correctly. It only seemed to happen with particles in the same particle system.