PDA

View Full Version : Bezier type Subpatch...

Integrity
07-12-2005, 09:16 PM
You know the Bezier curves in Modeler? You know the handles that you edit to change the shape that every point influences on the curve?

Whether or not it is in Lightwave...is there such a thing as a Subpatched surface where every point can be manipulated just like the points in a Bezier curve? And I'm not looking for what I think is called NURBS, not the selecting several curves and then creating geometry with them; I mean the real-time capability of Subpatched, along with the control of Bezier's. So I could create seams and sharp creases with ease, instead of having to add extra geometry to curve it. Unless that is NURBS, and I'm being stupid.

I can't stand the sort of "one dimension" editing of the weighted values on subpatched polygons. I just thought it would be neat if there was such a thing, so I could control the exact shape of the subpatched polygons by manipulating the handles, just like with Bezier's, or even just like the handles with vector's in Photoshop.

Cman
07-12-2005, 09:45 PM
You know the Bezier curves in Modeler? You know the handles that you edit to change the shape that every point influences on the curve?

Whether or not it is in Lightwave...is there such a thing as a Subpatched surface where every point can be manipulated just like the points in a Bezier curve? ...

Whether or not in Lightwave? Yes.

papou
07-13-2005, 05:25 AM
hmm, the most closer way is to deal with 'subpatch weight'...

Surrealist.
07-13-2005, 01:42 PM
Actually I think this is a cool idea. As indicated above it seems maybe to be in another package?

Anyway, great idea for a feature request. Why not post it there?

Now that said, I think if you really get into the zen of subpatch you sill see it really is already there. Model till you can't see straight. Keep on goind and it will be second nature after a while. :)

Lightwolf
07-14-2005, 02:54 AM
Basically that is what NURBS are... a set of (Bezier-)Splines that define a surface.
LightWave would need to additions to make this feasible:
- Native support for Bezier splines that stay "live" and can be edited (like curves can be a the moment)
- Support for "live" spline patches. I.e. you still define the surface out of splines, but any changes to the splines will instantly update the surface. In an ideal world the surface would onyl be converted into polygons in Layout prior to rendering it out.

There are a couple of problems with spline patches in general, you can easily mess up if the seems of two patches don't match up when tesselated.
Cheers,
Mike

Lynx3d
07-14-2005, 01:54 PM
Well Bézier patches and NURBS (-surfaces) are two different things actually, from the description Integrity is looking for Bézier patches.
I know that 3ds max has them (tri- and quad-patches...NURBS actually too, though common opinion seems to be that the max NURBS tools suck, but SubD surfaces are on the best way to supplant them generally anyway)

Basically you could implement something like this as a plugin in Lightwave, but the limitations/compromises IMHO are not really worth it...
I really hope Newtek makes the polygon handler class into something more complete, so you can give costom polygons custom features that get saved, displayed and edited in a feasible way.
But who knows what Newtek implemented in LW 8.3 and won't document until 8.7 or so... :rolleyes: