PDA

View Full Version : Apple's 10.4.2

Tony3d
07-12-2005, 03:31 PM
Has anyone been brave enough?

blabberlicious
07-12-2005, 05:14 PM
oh yes...fool that I am

I (THINK) that the nasty red wireframe tearing I was getting in Modeller and other 3D apps is sorted with the new drivers.

Apart form that, I'm hoping mail manages to nosedive less often, and praying that spotlight doesn't die on me.

So all's well then.

IgnusFast
07-12-2005, 07:04 PM
So far so good-- no issues with Lightwave or FPrime so far...

mats4d_
07-12-2005, 09:21 PM
Much better GUI and overall system response here.. perceivable on my end, after digging up some info, apparently this is the first update to enable core image?

anyway this is noticeable on a plain jane 2ghz with the standard video card.

matt -

dablan
07-12-2005, 10:29 PM
It's out?
I'll have to check...

I'll dive right in :)

Darth Mole
07-13-2005, 01:26 AM
It might be pure blind optimism on my part - the sun is actually out here in the good ol' U of K - but is OpenGL in Modeller faster? Like, quite a bit faster? I was shuffling round an 800,000-poly blob last night and while you wouldn't want to do it for long, it was actually moving...

mats4d_
07-13-2005, 10:05 AM
hey Tony

heh, the sun was out here in Seattle yesterday when I installed it too !! im telling you it feels faster.. Im waiting to see if barefeats post any kind of GUI or open GL benchmark to confirm this

matt

Tony3d
07-13-2005, 11:25 AM
Matt, I did install it and it is very responsive. Hope no new bugs crop up.

Johnny
07-13-2005, 04:36 PM
I'm seeing what you all are talking about..OS X is noticeably snappier..many things happening instantly that used to take a beat or two.

j

riki
07-13-2005, 08:33 PM
Just installed, no looking back :)

Darth Mole
07-14-2005, 01:48 AM
I'm intrigued.There are a few noticeable chages - Safari scrolls faster, I'm sure OpenGL is a bit nippier... but this download is 44MB! That's an enormous amount of code - as much as Photoshop CS! Is it just great chunks of the OS, rather than lots of little patches?

turbo
07-14-2005, 12:25 PM
it sure looks good.. but i'm still scared..
my linux guy sez they're changing too much bsd stuff, port stuff.. etc.. but since I don't really know what he's talking about.. i'll sit back for a bit and wait.. tho' i'm chompin at the bit to get it.. :p

Johnny
07-14-2005, 12:35 PM
it sure looks good.. but i'm still scared..
my linux guy sez they're changing too much bsd stuff, port stuff.. etc.. but since I don't really know what he's talking about.. i'll sit back for a bit and wait.. tho' i'm chompin at the bit to get it.. :p

...meaning that the latest revisions of OS X are making you less compatible with Linux?

Also..has anyone noticed Safari boxes, like under the Search Menu ^ above don't just pop down..they sort of wipe, down and to the left? Is that more OS X eye candy? Maybe next revision, the screen will ripple like water as with Widgets.. ;-P

J

turbo
07-14-2005, 12:49 PM
i think he means they are changing stuff they shouldn't be.. stuff that has been around a lot longer than apple.. berkely type stuff..
I dumped Safari ages ago.. Firefox (http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/) is da bomb!

Johnny
07-14-2005, 01:10 PM
i think he means they are changing stuff they shouldn't be.. stuff that has been around a lot longer than apple.. berkely type stuff..

ah...that sounds downright stupid. adhering to those standards is one of the things that made hard-cores take notice of OS X...hope they don't silly-fy it.

turbo
07-14-2005, 02:11 PM
indeed! i hope not too.. or ms it..

munky
07-14-2005, 02:13 PM
Hey wow 10.4.2 and 8.3 installed on the same day no bugs (yet) no hitches and the most satisfying thing isn't the definite OpenGL improvement it's that my wacom pen works again !

happy munky

regards

paul

2.5 dp G5 4.5 thingys of ram and a nvidia 6800 and the fattest widest monitor that those apple chappies do.