PDA

View Full Version : Firewire to additional Computer...

imagodei
07-12-2005, 10:31 AM
I was thinking of some interesting ways to use my toaster and two ideas came to mind... and both involved sending the video stream from the toaster to another computer via firewire. I'm using VT[4] if that helps anyone. What I'm wanting to do is send the video signal out to a computer either running DV RACK, to take the pressure off of my VT[4] comp when I need to record my live signal, or to a computer running MediaShout (www.mediashout.com), which, among other things, will put song lyrics over a firewire video feed--in essence avoiding keying something and loosing my preview row capabilities during worship settings...

Now I know there are solutions inside of VT[4], but they aren't great solutions. For instance, I could use the character generator for the songs... however, Mediashout uses a database to keep track of songs and remembers formatting and whatnot, and makes lyrics really a snap to change on the fly and whatnot (often useful in worship services). I could also record the output in VT[4], but with the memory leaks and whatnot I've already experienced, I'd prefer not to add additional strain to VT[4] and would like to record more than an hour or three (depending on tape size), without having to babysit a deck...

All that to say, does anyone know how to get another computer to recognize the toaster's FW output stream. I can easily run it to a cam or deck, and have done that frequently, but when I plug the other end of that firewire cable into a computer, it doesn't seem to know what to do with it... ie: it doesn't even recognize a device as being present...

Any ideas??

Kevin Dooley,
Imago Dei Media Group

jport
07-12-2005, 05:29 PM
i'm not sure if this applies, but i use it to go via firewire to my standalone dvd recorder.

go into preferences and change from program out to dv out.

good luck.

imagodei
07-13-2005, 09:45 AM
I'm not sure exactly what you're talking about, unless you mean changing the firewire to be DV out from the Program/Main Row settings... However, my issue is getting the other computer to recognize the video stream coming from the VT[4]...

Paul Lara
07-13-2005, 09:54 AM
...my issue is getting the other computer to recognize the video stream coming from the VT[4]...

What application on the inbound computer do you want to see the stream?

imagodei
07-13-2005, 10:00 AM
There's 2 different ones I'm considering... a program called MediaShout (www.mediashout.com) and also DV Rack (http://www.seriousmagic.com/dvrack.cfm). However, I can't even get the computer to acknowledge that there's something useful coming through on the Firewire input...

jport
07-13-2005, 05:08 PM
you have to go to Preferences>dv connnection>dv output frm program out.

in order for your other computer to see the stream you have to place a clip on the TED and play it thru. this is all done manually.

between the two softwares, they both have capture abilities, so once you play thru on VT4 just hit rec on your other computer.

if your trying to use the firewire to control VT4 like a deck, i don't think you can. of course i've been wrong before, so i'm not quite sure about that.

or are you thinking a firewire network in which you exchange streaming video?

imagodei
07-13-2005, 06:16 PM
Yeah, I've got my DV out set up that way. The problem I'm running into is that when you hook up a camera to a comp via firewire, it acknowledges that there is something there and allows you in various programs to select that as a video source. However, if I'm just streaming video out of my VT4 and the other computer never acknowledges that anything is hooked up via Firewire, then I cannot select that stream as a video source in the programs on the secondary computer... Sure, if I run that firewire to a camera the camera will see it and record it, but the secondary computer just doesn't seem to recognize it...

jport
07-14-2005, 08:09 PM
check your settings on mediashout and DVrack.

i tried outputting a firewire source to my laptop running premiere pro and i couldn't get a signal from toaster until i checked device control none on premiere capture.

i hit spacebar on toaster and capture on premiere and i was able to record video/audio off of VT4 timeline onto my laptop.

i'm not sure but i think that your software is looking for deck control protocols on VT4 computer via firewire and there aren't any. maybe that explains why you're able to get a signal off of your dv camera/deck and not toaster.

MBeck
07-24-2005, 02:19 PM
I don't have a toaster yet (its in the mail..) But I do have a question..

Are you trying to do this for I-mag? If so... mediashout introduces a noticable delay.

Just a thought.

imagodei
07-25-2005, 12:06 PM
I don't have a toaster yet (its in the mail..) But I do have a question..

Are you trying to do this for I-mag? If so... mediashout introduces a noticable delay.

Just a thought.

Yeah, we've got the delay down as much as possible by using a supercharged and optimized PC for Mediashout... however, with what I learned last night about the VGA input/capture coming out with VT 4.5... I'm not going to have to worry about that half of the question... Now I just need to get DVRACK to work with it.

JReble
07-25-2005, 12:40 PM
Here's the thing about a firewire link between computers. Windows see this kind of connection as an attempt to utilize ieee networking. :compbeati It won't work with a cable from one firewire port on a pc to another on a different pc. What you would need is a device like a pyro AV link or something similar from canopus to loop through between them. These allow you to connect each pc through an external DV device via firewire. The device in the middle allows windows to see the ieee connection as a video device rather than a network connection. That's the only way to make it happen. :thumbsup:

imagodei
07-25-2005, 12:50 PM
Well, now I know... now to see if that is a cost effective solution.

Thanks man.

JReble
07-25-2005, 01:24 PM
The ADS Pyro AV link runs about $160 and is available online and off the shelf at most Circuit City stores.