PDA

View Full Version : LW as Compositing Program?

nickej
07-11-2005, 09:40 PM
I've stupidly gone to the effort of rendering out a bunch of frames in RLA sequence format, only to find that AfterEffects 6.5 is thoroughly lame in its implementation of RLA, allowing no access to any of the information except (in a limited way) the Z buffer. So, I was wondering whether there's any way to do my compositing, Eki style, in LW using RLAs. Can I access the various buffers through LW or is it all a waste unless I spring for a real compositing program....as if I could afford it.

Mylenium
07-11-2005, 11:38 PM
I've stupidly gone to the effort of rendering out a bunch of frames in RLA sequence format, only to find that AfterEffects 6.5 is thoroughly lame in its implementation of RLA, allowing no access to any of the information except (in a limited way) the Z buffer. So, I was wondering whether there's any way to do my compositing, Eki style, in LW using RLAs. Can I access the various buffers through LW or is it all a waste unless I spring for a real compositing program....as if I could afford it.

You can access the buffers while they are still in memory (i.e. after the frame has been rendered), but you won't be able to extract them from an RLA/ RPF in LW.

Mylenium

nickej
07-11-2005, 11:49 PM
Thanks, Mylenium--
You'd warned me about RLAs, but I thought that since all I wanted to do was to generate a particle effect with DOF, I thought I could use RLA. Little did I know that for absolutely no reason, AfterEffects would choose to read the particle renders as black silhouettes. Feh.