PDA

View Full Version : particles in a pipe or hose

riprod3
07-11-2005, 09:24 PM
I have created a pipe with rail extrude and I want to get some particles to fly down the pipe. So I created a particle emitter and then added wind to the same path as the pipe. Then I made the pipe a collision object. I have set the particles to bounce.

I cannot get the particles inside the pipe, they seam to explode out the sides. I am positive the emitter is inside the pipe.

any ideas ?

nickej
07-11-2005, 09:36 PM
Flip the normals?

SplineGod
07-12-2005, 01:14 AM
I find it easier to use other methods to get the EFFECT of particles moving down the tube :)

riprod3
07-12-2005, 05:52 AM
what are normals ? is that the surface ie. 'f'.

what other mthods would you use. Do you know a good tutorial anywhere ?

thanks in advance

starbase1
07-12-2005, 08:37 AM
Chipping in here... The idea is that with a conventional tube, you model it with the surface on the outside. Particles might not detect it if they come from the blank side. The lazy way to fix is to make that surface double sided.

I'd trying to remember here, but I think you may also need to be careful with the calculation settings, so they are fine enough to catch the crossing. More likely to be a problem if they are moving fast. Sorry to be vague...

Nick

SplineGod
07-12-2005, 11:19 AM
what are normals ? is that the surface ie. 'f'.

what other mthods would you use. Do you know a good tutorial anywhere ?

thanks in advance

It depends on what the final effect has to look like. Does it need to look like fluid flowing down a pipe, a gas, just particles? :)

riprod3
07-13-2005, 08:07 PM
needs to look like dirt or dust

SplineGod
07-13-2005, 10:31 PM
You could have a slghtly smaller tube inside the main tube and run a fractal noise texture along it. You can also fill the tube with points and turn on HV sprites. :)

John Fornasar
07-15-2005, 10:34 PM
You could have a slghtly smaller tube inside the main tube and run a fractal noise texture along it. :)

I've been using this method for years to simulate gas moving through pipes. Works great, and it's fast. I need to make a lot of simulations with various pipe configurations, so I save various pipe fittings (straight pipe, elbows, tees, and various pieces of equipment and bring them into layout as needed.

Here's a couple of pointers:
start with a straight section of pipe and an 90 degree elbow (quick elbow - make a toroid and delete 3/4's of it...) give them their own surface names (like straight and elbow)
to make it easy, put your straight along the x and the elbow at it's end turning up...

To get a good handle on what's happening, apply the Dots procedure to make your texture movement easy to see. Make the dots small enough to see a bunch of them on the pipe.

Click the E (envelope) on the texture position and Move your straight pipe dots texture along the x axis.

For the elbow, you'll need the texture to appear to curve up, so here put a null in what would be the center of the full toroid and key a full turn (360) on the heading of the null at frame thirty. Select the null as a Reference Object in the Texture Editor. Run off a quick avi and you'll see your texture moving.

Once you have a handle on the texture movement, you might want to put the texture movement pipe inside a "glass" textured outer pipe for the full effect.

added: I just noticed that you extruded your pipe shape... no problem, just apply separate surface names to straight sections and curved sections, and use nulls as needed.

3D Kiwi
07-19-2005, 07:37 PM
I cannot get the particles inside the pipe, they seam to explode out the sides. I am positive the emitter is inside the pipe.

I made some water (using particals) flow down a pipe the other night, I was pouring the water from the top and it flowed down a tube i made and had bent it, If you are pouring the particals from out side the pipe you may have to delete the end polys on the pipe, i also found that the Radius/Level had to be set quite low other wise the particals flew everywear.

Hope that may be of some help, i would be happy to email you the scene file if that would help you anymore.

DMarkwick
07-21-2005, 04:31 PM
I agree with SplineGod, unless you really, really need to use Hypervoxels for particles in a tube, use a slightly smaller tube textured with particles.

Sort of like this (http://freespace.virgin.net/david.markwick/UmbilicalFive.mov), where I have a transparent tube within another transparent tube, each textured with a nice effective pattern.

kramik1
02-14-2006, 02:53 PM
I have tried John Fornasar directions to get a bend to work but it doesn't seem to work with a rotation around a null . The surface goes back and forth on the surface and doesn't look right. I tried using all of the different axis to no avail. I have included screen shots of it with the rotation on the x axis and with just setting the x and y settings to move 3m each (so the movement is diagonal).

Since it sometimes appear to move in the right direction at certain times during the 360 rotation I think it might work if single out that degree of movement and keep repeating it. Any ideas?
rotation:
x and y movement:

I wasn't able to load up the animations in a zip or rar file, kept on saying upload failed...

Ivan_B
02-17-2006, 12:26 AM
Check the thread in "Tips and Tricks" "steam in bendy pipe"
There are some project files and stuff...

kramik1
02-17-2006, 09:31 AM
I was already on that thread and was playing around with your post. I was messing around with the wind also but didn't have much luck with it and since you are using a x and y gravity effect if my pipe takes a turn everything gets stuck. I think the 2 layer surface movement like I tired above will be the best way...just got to figure out how they did it. Since this is an air flow through an engine it becomes a real big pain in the butt once it hits the bigger chambers, I want the "air" to take up the entire volume.

kopperdrake
02-19-2006, 04:41 PM
I'm going to have the same problem in a week or two as I have to show flames shooting into a mould and then out the other end, but the mould is cross-sectional so you'll see the flames going through all the bends and twists. If I have any luck with tests I can share my results with you :)

The bit I'm really not looking forward to is then showing molten metal pouring into the mould, around the mould and eventually back up to an outlet where it pours into a slag-bucket. All in cross section. I'm thinking I may use several morphs to get the metal flow as a solid object will be easier to control as the colour changes and when the camera moves from cross-section to 3/4 view. Eek!

Ivan_B
02-20-2006, 01:29 AM
Hey people.
I was playing around with a free plugin I found on the flay website..its called fertilizer, its used to make your object look like its growing using weight maps..I used it to make a solid object look like its flowing through pipes into chambers then out again..Its a bit rough but you get the idea..Ive uploaded the project files and a video of the result...looks ok..Just another possibility
Hope you can make some use of it.:thumbsup:

http://www.informatik.hu-berlin.de/~goetsch/Fertilizer/

kopperdrake
02-20-2006, 04:01 AM
Thanks for that :D I'll have a look over the next couple of days and post back any results.