PDA

View Full Version : Problem? Or just an Annoyance?

DanFraser
04-28-2003, 09:54 AM
I seem to have a strange occurance when rendering scenes. The one I am doing at the moment has some large Poly items, (ie. around 55,000, which doesnt seem too bad). One one or two of these objects it takes a large amount of time to optimize those items. Is this just because of the complex poly and lighting arrangement? Or is it Lightwave going up the duff? Also, this causes LW to 'hang' quite frequently, it keeps doing the work (I think, it does use CPU power all the time) but does not allow me to switch to LW at all, unless I minimise everything else. All other times it does seem fine, though sometimes a little laggy when it is in the 'Rendering' stage of a frame (which I think is quite normal for these complex scenes).

I use Lightwave 7 at the moment, mainly due to 7.5 and 7.5b not being of any use at all to me and LW itself being 99.9% reliable (I do have them, its just when I had to reinstall the OS a few weeks ago, I decided not to put them back on).

Here are my computer specs if you need them.

AMD XP 2000 Athlon Modded for dual configuration.
1024MB DDR PC2100 Ram
MSI K7D Master (not the Lan version)
140GB of Hard drives, around 60 gig free in total
Gainward GeForce4 ti 4600 XP/750 Golden Sample
Creative Soundblaster Live! 5.1
Other generic Stuff for mouse, keyboard etc.
Windows XP Professional

So? Shall I just chalk it up to me rendering a movie in 800x600 with Low AA. Soft Filter, Motion Blur (50%) And just about every other eye candy trick on the planet? Or, something going wrong?

EDIT: A little update, I just managed to get into LW a few times, and some of the frame render times are extremely erratic. There is no insane camera movements sending the motion blur time wild or anything like that, yet some frames can be 2-3mins, the next can be 7mins, then back to 2-3mins again!

Another EDIT!: Another update! It seems the average time of the scene at this time should be 90 secs!

DanFraser
04-28-2003, 09:43 PM
Hmm... Nearly twelve hours of rendering gone, and it seems to have fixed itself! Some frames are being done exceptionally quick now (and looking ok, coz I am chucking them out as pics).

This is a biiiig movie I am doing, lol. This first part, is around a minute long, at 2025 frames! Still another 20,000 after that...

Mylenium
04-29-2003, 12:45 AM
Hi Dan,

You could always have tried to uncheck the extra rendering optimization on the render panel. This tweak is actually meant for scenes with lots of refraction and reflections (it will optimize the render tree and speed things up there) but will dramatically slow down rendering in normal scenes.

Mylenium