PDA

View Full Version : best way to texture a rug/carpet??

ant_sutton
07-10-2005, 02:02 PM
hi guys. anyone know hoe best to do this? preferrably with procedurals

thanks for any help

lsals

Integrity
07-10-2005, 07:52 PM
I don't have Lightwave installed, but I'll try to remember.

You can try using that Bump Array (the one with the circles) procedural and then displacing it with another layer, or set one of them to a real small size to make noise...but it won't look great up close.

I think the important thing will be your bump map. I made a rug for a room one time...but it was with an actual bitmap; I ran the High Pass filter in Photoshop on it to get a bump map then used the original for the color. Then applied that same bump map to the diffuse channel to add some ruggedness (or was it the specular...can't remember).

If you search the internet for fabric tutorial's they should lead you in the right direction.

I hope this helps.

pdrake
07-11-2005, 02:58 PM
i do carpet all the time. use a pic of real carpet. color version in the diffuse channel and a b/w version in the bump channel. vary the bump opacity to get a nice texture, mostly about 500% opacity.

MonroePoteet
07-11-2005, 05:19 PM
Here's a ZIP containing an SRF surface file that only uses various incarnations of the FBM noise procedural to get the "tufted" style of carpet. Not sure precisely what you're after, though.

mTp

Verlon
07-12-2005, 10:01 PM
I used a velvet plugin and tweaked the bump map. I guess it depends on how close you wantto view the carpet. If you are working on Ants 2: The Indoor Picnic, you might need a different look.

lroom.jpg

dablan
07-12-2005, 10:28 PM
In the past, we've had to rebuild hotel lobbies. A repeating pattern worked very well. I remember back in the Amiga days, I had this awesome collection of carpet squares. Freakishly small files, that tiled perfectly. I'll have to hunt those down....

But if you're trying to make a shag type rug, you can use SasLite to create a great looking carpet. Beyond that, you can use displacement mapping on a subpatched object, using a black and white image. If you're camera is going to fly in close to the carpet, nothing works better than actually modeling the carpet strands and then replicating them. For this, a plug-in like HD Instance works well.

pdrake
07-13-2005, 02:06 PM
here's some using the method i described above. i just googled carpet for the image map. offset and painted a little in photoshop. use the same one for color and bump.

Begather
10-14-2016, 01:07 AM
i do carpet all the time. use a pic of real carpet. color version in the diffuse channel and a b/w version in the bump channel. vary the bump opacity to get a nice texture, mostly about 500% opacity.

Which carpet cleaner you shall use for your home? I need to ask because i am planing to buy rug doctor (http://www.wordsiseek.com/rug-doctor-reviews/) and looking for help.

erikals
10-14-2016, 07:01 AM
a carpet normal map maybe ?

https://www.google.no/search?q=texture+a+rug/carpet&client=firefox-b&tbm=isch&imgil=duNU5oEbHpW8iM%253A%253BqJ9xrc1jhcOQkM%253Bh ttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fcarpet.kellybranan.com%252 52Fchoose-carpet-texture-and-materials%25252Fcreate-carpet-texture%25252F&source=iu&pf=m&fir=duNU5oEbHpW8iM%253A%252CqJ9xrc1jhcOQkM%252C_&usg=__EyoPo6Qq-9l3cKAMTCS5lbZtEHA%3D&biw=1877&bih=1326&dpr=0.67#tbm=isch&q=carpet+normal+map

gerry_g
10-14-2016, 09:12 AM
could copy paste his procedural setup and plug it into the bump to normal node then into the normal input if he wanted to stay procedural, personally I prefer real textures they usually render faster and are more customisable and there are several free utilities out there that generate a normal, spec and AO map from an image