PDA

View Full Version : Linux or XP home as a render node?

Bobt
07-10-2005, 09:11 AM
Hi folks sorry this is kind of a double post. I posted the first one without
knowing there was a group specifically designed for Screamernet.
I was talking to some pretty knowledgable people and got conflicting information. I was wondering if I set up linux boxes would they be able to
use PC plugins? If not would XP home be OK for render nodes? I was going
to place the controller on my main machine.
And this is because I dont know any better, If the controller is on the main
machine does it have to render or ican I place it in charge of dishing out another frame render so I can work on other things?
Thanks for any insight.
Bob

Lightwolf
07-10-2005, 09:37 AM
You cannot use PC plugins under Linux _unless_ you manage to make the PC version of lwsn run under an emulation environment in Linux, such as Wine.
Basically, all plugins have to be re-compiled for a native Linux version.

XP Home ought to be o.k. if you have less than 10 machines in your network and don't need the node to log onto a domain. Also XP Home doesn't support dual processor machines (as in two CPU sockets, not 2 cores per socket, that is o.k.)
A cheaper alternative to full XP Pro is the System Builder version which comes without direct support (but honestly, did you ever need support from MS?). Also the XP Media Center edition should work, which is much closer to Pro than to Home.

Cheers,
Mike

3D Kiwi
07-13-2005, 03:48 PM
I have four pc's with XP Home on them and my main lightwave machine has XP professional and they networked up great and screamernet works really well on them and it was easy to set up.