PDA

View Full Version : Split bones altering shape of object...

kevinmcpoland
07-10-2005, 08:54 AM
This seems to be a simialr problem to the post "Bones and object manipulation in Layout... HDRI Tutorial Related (Issue #4)" by MiWi Graphics, but because I can get the shape to initially move and because I don't get HDRI don't know...

Steps of the problem:

1. I create a basic long oblong (think wall) in modellor and add 1 skelegon.

2. I send it to layout and convert skelegon to a bone

3. In layout I split the 1 bone into 6 bones. I then activate the bones on.

4. I then use the rotate tool to shape my wall. I realise that I could do with the third bone split into 2 so I can add another corner, so I highlight it and click split bone. I choose 2, then click OK...

and bingo, my problem starts.... :grumpy:

Basically, everything after where I split the bone loses the shape I had modified it into.

Conclusion: By looking at the scene I think it's got something to do with the fact that anytime I split a bone, all the bones from that point after it get automatically turned off re-setting the actual model. I just don't know how to force them to stay on to keep the original shape.

I've looked at the original LW 8 vids by Proton who was demonstrating BoneSplit, and he never seemed to have these sorts of problems.

Any help people?

Thanks

Kev McP

Surrealist.
07-11-2005, 01:50 PM
I don't know if yo have done this or not but it might help to do your deformation at a keyframe other than 0. I assume you are not using this for animation but for a modeling tool. This would give you a rest position to come back to to reset the rest position. Just a thought. Haven't tried it yet.

Aslo there are other bone tools such as bone twist which have given me similar grief, so I don't know just a thought. Try it out and see.

Chris S. (Fez)
07-11-2005, 03:14 PM
So when you reactivate all the bones (after you split, I believe the bones are deactivated) it does not snap back into the right shape?

SplineGod
07-12-2005, 01:10 AM
You can only use the bone tools on frame 0 which should also be your rest pose where your bones match your mesh. After running one of those tools I tend to select all bones and hit the r key to rerest them again. :)

Surrealist.
07-12-2005, 02:59 PM
You can only use the bone tools on frame 0 which should also be your rest pose where your bones match your mesh. After running one of those tools I tend to select all bones and hit the r key to rerest them again. :)

You're right. totally forgot about that.

SplineGod
07-12-2005, 03:22 PM
The older RPR command would let you do it on any frame which could really cause some problems. Allowing the tools to be run only on frame 0 helps to make sure things dont get wacked out. :)

Surrealist.
07-13-2005, 01:21 PM
BTW lary, did you see that reply about the Bone Twist Tool in that other thread you asked about?

SplineGod
07-13-2005, 01:55 PM
which thread was that again? :)

Surrealist.
07-13-2005, 05:02 PM
which thread was that again? :)

At the end of this:

http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=37232&page=2&highlight=bone+twist