PDA

View Full Version : Essential LW 8 & LW 3d 8 Revealed...

kevinmcpoland
07-10-2005, 05:43 AM
In my random browsing I see that some of the on-line book shops have in stock:

"Essential Lightwave 8" - by Timothy Albee

"Lightwave 3d 8 Revealed" - by Kelly Murdock

I haven't seen many reviews on either of these (especially the latter), which is suprising for LW books... (I even tried searching the forum for once, and unless I made a typo there doesn't seem to be too many reviews here either).

So, does anyone have either of these? Can anyone make a comparison to the other existing LW 8 books? Are they worth the purchase (I appreciate that is hard to tell without knowing the level of the person going to buy it, but a general idea would do).

Thanks,

Kev McP

Bytehawk
07-10-2005, 05:49 AM
If I would need to choose I would choose the essential LW8 book. I haven't heard anything positive about the other book but have heard lots of god things about the "essential" book.

Martin Adams
07-10-2005, 07:25 AM
I have brought the Essential LightWave 3D 8 book, but haven't yet had the chance to work though it so there's no real benefit to me giving a review of it.

What I will say, as I notice you are from the UK Kevin, I decided to buy this book from Amazon.com instead of Amazon.co.uk because it worked out so much cheapter.

I did get it when it was on offer though, leaving a grand total (with delivery) of 14.86, compared to Amazon.co.uk's book price of 27.29!!!

But it looks like they've put the price of the book up as I managed to get it for $17.98 and it looks like it's now $29.67. I still believe you can get it cheaper with the exchange rates given on http://xe.com/ucc

Also, its worth checking Amazon.com for additional reviews as they are different to the .co.uk ones.

Whit
07-10-2005, 07:26 AM
I have Albee's book and Murdock's book. I found Albee's book very helpful, one of the best that I have. I didn't find Murdock's book useful.

--Whit

kevinmcpoland
07-10-2005, 07:43 AM
Thanks so far guys!

I guess anything with Tim Albees name on it almost automatically carries a quality guarantee, given it almost as much of a "must have" as a Dan Ablan book!

The Kelly Murdock book is very strange in it's abscence of on-line reviews... Whit, care to elaborate why it wasn't useful? The writing style or the content? The chapter listings seem to cover quite a bit, but I do appreciate quantity does not equal quality...

And Martin, I will look into Amazon.com thanks, always looking for a deal! (Normally I use www.compman.co.uk, as I find it cheaper and more prompt than Amazon.co.uk....)

Kev McP

Whit
07-10-2005, 09:03 AM
I think that Murdoch is more of a computer book author than a LightWave expert. In his credits, he lists several editions of the 3ds Max Bible, Maya 6 Revealed, a couple editions of the Illustrator Bible, Adobe Creative Suites Bible, Adobe Atmosphere Bible, gmax Bible, 3D Graphics and VRML 2.0, Master Visually HTML an d CHTML, and JavaScript Visual Blueprints.

In the introductory section, "Author Vision," Murdoch indicates that he is a long time 3ds Max user who recently learned LightWave. He says,

"A couple of months ago, I, too was a beginner to LightWave, and with this perspective, I've described the software as I've uncovered it."

I would rather have a book from an author with years of experience working with LightWave, an author who can identify tools that are particularly useful and has insight into how to make those tools jump through hoops.

--Whit

dablan
07-12-2005, 10:21 PM
"I guess anything with Tim Albees name on it almost automatically carries a quality guarantee, given it almost as much of a "must have" as a Dan Ablan book!"

Hey cool! Thanks a lot!

Best of luck in your learning. :thumbsup:

DragonFist
07-13-2005, 01:13 AM
I am just finishing Lightwave 8 Essentials. I have found it to be wonderful. I have been learning a lot from it and honestly say that I have gained and improved on my Lightwave skills. I think the main thing is a focus on basic skills that I shall likely use over and over in the future that will make me waste less time in my modeling and animation.

I looked at the other book in the book store and while it may be useful, it didn't look as intuitive to me. But I didn't try it, so I can't say for sure.

Shawn

Martin Adams
07-13-2005, 12:29 PM
What I would love to see on forums/author's site would be renders/animations of people who have actually gone through the book and applied the techniques. For example, if there is a walkthrough on how to model a person or some type of animation, it would be nice to see how well people can apply that knowledge. The authors do a very good job in demonstrating what it should look like by using pictures, but I would say the words on the page are engineered from the render, not the other way around like the reader.

This would help those choosing whether to buy a good to know what level they can aspire to using the knowledge in the book.

erich
07-19-2005, 01:00 PM
Does this book cover the same things as in Essential LW 7, or are they all new tutorials (new content/models) for LW8?

Thanks.