PDA

View Full Version : First World War - Final Post / Environment

Sculley
07-10-2005, 05:31 AM
These are two stills of two of 6 environments from a short First World War short introduction sequence done as a test for some filter plugins in development. All 3D elements are created in LW 7.5.

First is of a Trench.. the second of a city. Comments are really appreciated.

nthused
07-10-2005, 06:27 AM
All wars are ****...but that one had it's own level. To me, your images go a long way in capturing the devastation, bleakness.

Thanks for sharing.

richdj
07-10-2005, 08:35 AM
your images go a long way in capturing the devastation, bleakness.

Thanks for sharing.

Excellent images :D can we see some more.....

Rich

david_B
07-11-2005, 07:30 PM
It's either the camera angle or the lighting but something makes these pics look like little toy models of war rather than the real thing. It's not the modelling or textures, its something in the composition and rendering.

Actually I think it's the DOF combined with the lighting. It's noticable more the first pic. It really looks like a miniature model of a trench.

The models and setting are great. Nice level of detail. The filter effects quite realistic also.

starbase1
07-12-2005, 07:22 AM
Powerful effective images. It looks a little odd to me that the cannons have such clean regular lines when everythiung around them is broken... Maybe rough them up a bit? Lose a wheel spoke?

Good stuff though...

Nick

cgbloke2004
07-12-2005, 02:58 PM
yeah - if you hadnt told me the first picture was a trench i wouldnt have guessed it - its pretty hard to work out - i think the posters before me nailed it with perhaps the DOF being at fault.

the second is better and yeah, i thought it was a little model diorama as well.

good stuff though..

[makes me want to dig out my old ww1 volume binders - ancient things with grease proof paper for each little illustration.. cute if it werent for the kiddie crayons all over them!]

Sculley
07-12-2005, 04:07 PM
Thanx for the comments..

The first pic maybe a little more blurred than I'd like but there from a test sequence. The filter applied adjusts the DOF, Diffuses the light shades, adjusts colour tones, and then creates the light effect to simulate film being played back through a mechanic projector. Sometimes the out put can be a little uncontrollable.. Later i'll upload the filter moveing it may help.

Here's also some renders and wires etc of some of the environments and models.

Sculley
07-12-2005, 04:10 PM
A few extra captures.

Cassanovastein
07-12-2005, 09:00 PM
You have a real aptitude for Lay-Out. The
composition and mad attention to detail on that
field gun make for some great environments.
The downside is now we can see the "bones" of your scene. Minus that
sepia / grain filter it's clear that those soldiers aren't as well
crafted as the rest of the (beautiful!) environment. No
disrespect to the subject matter intended.
This are great pieces just for the environments.
Bellisimo.

Sculley
07-13-2005, 02:30 AM
Thanx... dont worry about the soldiers.. they were made for the background to keep the poly count down.. after filters details on them are lost or they become softened that their appearance isnt so much an issue :)... keeps render times done per frame at around 10 - 15 minutes a frame.

Im thinking I may add some more environments.. so any ideas are welcome.

Thanks all