PDA

View Full Version : Siggraph predictions?

mabaza
07-09-2005, 10:08 PM
What features do you guys think will be unveiled at Siggraph 2005? What version (8.5 or 9.0) do you predict said features will be introduced?

This oughta be fun! :thumbsup:

prospector
07-10-2005, 12:11 AM
LW 5.6 'classic' text editor

instancing

riki
07-10-2005, 08:14 PM
I'd like to see edges but I doubt we'd get that in a point release.

LW3D
07-13-2005, 10:26 AM
I think this siggraph will be the worst siggraph for LightWavers.. Because we expect more things to catch others... But I don't think NewTek can do this.. at least I hope NewTek shows serious road map for the future version. Because this time others will come really strong...

Panikos
07-13-2005, 05:03 PM
My requests are endless but I compromise with the idea that its impossible to have everything / or have everything soon.

From time to time I asked many features and other people enbraced my requests. I want to be realistic than optimistic so here what I would like to see :p

- better ImageviewerFP that considers Pixel Aspect and shows very large images too
- better ImageEditor where color processing is applicable to FP Images too
- Add Unseen by Radiosity switch and separate Radiosity from Unseen by Rays
- More convergence to Worley requests about LW SDK changes
- Texturing ColorHighlights, ColorFilter, Additive Transparency, DiffuseSharpness
- Texturing Reflection Blurring / Refraction Blurring
- non pinhole camera model and variable camera perspective
- Real Transparency in Modeler OpenGL

I will stop here cause I think already these are too many
;)

colkai
07-14-2005, 04:01 AM
World Peace? .... Blank cheque from Bill Gates made out to Newtek? ....
A bit of respect for the effort the folks at Newtek for all their hard work?
:jester:

Edges and edge weighting would be cool, but I'm just looking forward to some news and some cool demos, oh, and some downloadable clips I can watch at my leisure without upsetting the wife by dissapearing every night as soon as I get home from work. ;)

Lewis
07-14-2005, 10:35 AM
I dunno really what to expect but i know what I would LIKE to see:). Most of all i'd like to see some serious work on modeler part of LW (edges, ngons subDs, FAST OpenGL , etc...)

But we will see what will be very soon :).

riki
07-14-2005, 10:39 AM
A major rework of the File Requestor would be nice :)

Mister NO
07-22-2005, 02:52 PM
Hmmmmmm.........let's see.......
NONE!
There is no time for new features!!!!!
There is still many tools that does not work properly!!
CLOTH, SOFT, HARD FX (or Implement IMPACT) , SNAP TOOLS, MEASURE TOOL, FASTER RENDERING OR IMPLEMENTED FPrime!!!! , that's all for now!

blublublublub! :thumbsdow
blu! :thumbsdow
blu! ....Blu! :thumbsdow
:thumbsdow
:thumbsdow

Ztreem
07-23-2005, 12:07 PM
I don't expect any big features, if you look back at LW 8.01, 8.2 and 8.3 you know what you can expect. Maybe one or two big features like the UV-subpath mode in LW 8.2, then alot of bugfixes.

I dream of features like subpixeldisplacement, sub-d n-gons, Better spline tools, better OGL performance, streamlined tools instead of ten tools that do the same thing. I could go on forever...

operation
07-23-2005, 05:25 PM
There will be some new features .... but I am sure this version will not be the revolution that everyone is expecting ! why ?

It's too early, too much time to catch ( lost time... too much basic features missing (some tools needs more developement or bugs to correct).

My hope is in LW9 or X !! 2006 or 2007 ( it sounds far .. )
But honestly , it takes time to change LW core ( go in the old code, understand what the old team did, make a new roadmap, correct bugs, etc...).

The revolution will be the roadmap, I think... to keep users . This way, we will be able to know where NT will drive us and Keep us using LW (too much customers migrate to other softwares since 7.5...).

As I said 2007 ... or 2008 ( NT need 2 or 3 years to make a strong software). Until then, we will get update and update ...

:(

Silkrooster
07-23-2005, 05:45 PM
So much guessing, it really would not suprise me if Newtek decided to pass this year, so they can make a big bang next year or even two. Depending on what they have in mind.
If I did guess, I would say that they are working on the GUI (a face lift), stablizing the code more, perhaps with a new core, an enhanced rendering system, more volumetrics and procedurals. Maybe even adding subpatched n-gons. updating the sdk to c++, finishing the lscript manual, adding new import/export file formats, adding true multi-monitor support, adding true edge support, and true nurbs.
Oh how easy it is to dream. What ever they do will be a big help as I have faith in what they do. Odds are they are trying to get the 64 bit version out the door first.
Well, I guess we will just have to wait and see. ;)
Silk

yazan
07-24-2005, 03:22 AM
I would agree with LW3d, I would rather see a roadmap than anything else and know where we're heading. I understand that all software go through good releases and not so good releases, I wouldn't mind another (not so good release) so long they tell us where we're heading and I mean "we" in the sense of the entire LW community. And if we aren't heading anywhere, fine but I would like to know. I don't mind jjumping from one software to the next to get the job done, but I am comfortable with LW and would rather wait another year to get back on it than to stay on and keep waiting in the vain hope that all the above mentioned features will come through. I appreciate NT's work and efforts, I hope they give us something smile about (well a bit more but you know what I mean).
Yazan

Mister NO
07-24-2005, 05:02 AM
Finaly some objective statements!
Respect!

colkai
07-25-2005, 01:52 AM
Hmmmmmm.........let's see.......
NONE!
There is no time for new features!!!!!
There is still many tools that does not work properly!!
CLOTH, SOFT, HARD FX (or Implement IMPACT)
Hmm, to intergrate Impact or provide their own version would, lemme see, be a NEW feature.

SNAP TOOLS
The tools they have work - if you want added funtionality, that would be, lemme see, a NEW feature.

IMPLEMENTED FPrime!!!!
New feature.

I think you need to differentiate between bug fixes, such as the ones which cause LW to crash out, over functionality which has not yet been built in.

If I want snap to mid point etc.. to aid architectural work, that is NOT a bug, but requested additional functionality.

Now saying something like, "they need to fix the bug which causes random polys to be selected in the modeller viewport" is asking for an existing tool to be fixed.

Otherwise, you're huge amount of 'blublu' and "thumbsdown" just mark you out as a troll. Just something for you to consider in future postings.

colkai
07-25-2005, 01:58 AM
I would agree with LW3d, I would rather see a roadmap than anything else and know where we're heading.
This gets raised at every release.
Newtek do not have to, (indeed I'd say should not), release their roadmap to us the user.
We are an end-buyer, why should they need to tell us their plans? Indeed, doing so would give a heads up to their competition as well, which could be detrimental to business.

I suggest you all go away and search the archives. These "what Newtek should do" threads crop up with frightening regularity. I'm sure if you were to search these boards and the old forums for "roadmap" or "release" - you'd find pretty much anything that you think needsto be said, has already been done so countless times in the past.
I only use the software and I am getting fed-up over how many times these threads restart. How Chuck et all feel I can only imagine. :eek:

I could carry on the discussion, but like I say - check the archives - you'd be surprised just how far back these debates go.

LW3D
07-25-2005, 01:46 PM
NewTek announced, LightWave v8.5.

www.newtek.com/lightwave/newsletters/v2-n6/index.html

best regards
http://www.sinefx.com

yazan
07-26-2005, 12:46 AM
You're right, nobody has to do anything. But in my case, I need to know. I'm not asking for NT to show their breakthrough spectral renderer that renders at split second time intervals. I'm asking for them to show us when they will start implementing the features Now found on other systems. How many of the companies are going to be shivering in their place because NT will decide to put in n-gon support? or sss? I do agree that these threads have begun popping up regularly these days, but there is a reason. Back when I started on LW I think it was 5.6, I was excited for every upgrade untill we reached 7.5. I never complained, although I did visit the feature list threads, but when I get the feeling that we (as a LW community, users, software and developers in all) are not being as innovative as before, one (I) wants to know where they're going. And just so this doesn't turn into LW people and anti LW people. I am a LW user, I love the program, I love its community, so treat my opinions as nothing more and nothing less than what they are, opinions.
Yazan

pauland
07-26-2005, 02:44 AM
But in my case, I need to know.

Why specifically do you need to know?

yazan
07-26-2005, 05:44 AM
the roadmap of where newtek is headed with Lightwave.
Yazan

prospector
07-26-2005, 06:13 AM
Unless there is something that's unannounced yet and to be a surprise at the show......
this upgrade is a HoHum.

All the new options in the interface...OK so I gotta get some SLI cards

CHA CHING!

Parts selection...most can be pulled out if selecting in the points mode

Multi shift...ZZZZ

Dynamics control window....I just jump on another computer

Particle dynamics.....Was excited till I seen it LOADS 10 times faster and not RUNS 10 times faster......so 1 less cup of coffee and a ciggy

keyboard shortcuts.....what are they? never used them cept for F-12 and 'N'

maby the 64 bit and about 10 gigs of ram would be better.

Roadmap is easy to figure

V9 is all 64 bit..no more 32....AT ALL
the LW program runs 10 times faster..ALL PARTS
a retro 5.6 text tool :hey:

Karmacop
07-26-2005, 07:32 AM
The new open gl, although it sounds simple, is probably a lot of work. We've had the same open gl since version 6 I'm guessing, and being able to see light falloffs etc isn't something to be sneezed at.

People have asked for a parts to surfaces conversion tool, so it's not as if it isn't needed. It may not be impressive and if Lscript was more complete then it could have been done with lscript a long time ago but it's still good that they've added it.

Multishift sounds like yet another bevel tool which is a bit annoying, but it sounds like it may be similar to vertibevel, which can only be a good thing.

The dynamics thing isn't amazing but at least your computer isn't completely out of action.

Also, remember that in previous versions we only got a single free upgrade, so don't compare this .5 upgrade to previous .5 upgrades.

pauland
07-26-2005, 09:46 AM
the roadmap of where newtek is headed with Lightwave.
Yazan

Yazan, I asked why you have to know it, not what you want to know!

Paul

yazan
07-26-2005, 11:15 AM
Sorry, because I currently use Lightwave as my main tool and have found it to be a bit annoying to get somethings going. I am not saying Lightwave is incapable, I'm just there are other products which offer simpler solutions. I would like to see what they will do about Cloth FX, I've used Lightwave's and although there were improvements, other programs and their plugged in 3rd party software do it better. Hard FX is also very limited. Much better, but sometimes much better than before doesn't neccessarily mean good enough. Particles, Character Rigging tools. Please don't missunderstand me, I am aware that there are wonderful artists who have done much with LW. **** I wouldn't be here without it probably. I just believe the reasons that I got on board with LW aren't there anymore. Ease of use, power tools, fast good quality renders, intuitive. And while most of these are the same, other software developers have shown great progress in each of these areas in a way that may make one think of better things to do. Am I making any sense? knowing the roadmap will give me a chance to know whether or not to start learning another software product or is it possible to wait it out. Learning another software doesn't mean jump ship,it just means that these feautures will not be in the next 9 version, but in 10, in that case learn something else, untill version 10 and get back on. This also doesn't mean losing customers, because loyal LWavers will be just that. And sometimes you need to take one step backwards to take two steps forward. This isn't a popularity contest I know, and I also know this industry requires that you learn what you need. But if a project comes along that I could have accepted if I had those tools or learnt something else is what I anticipate happennig. Sometimes jumping on another software without any BG on it might drown you instead of saving you. Hope that makes sense. Anyway, I do appreciate that this is a .5 update and its free and I don't undermine the effort of the work put in, I just question their priority.

pauland
07-26-2005, 11:43 AM
I think that only a very, very few people really need that roadmap, though many think they need it but really they don't.

If you think that you'll need some thing not in LW then by all means expand your software repertoire to include other packages. It won't do you any harm.

The problem with exposing a road map is that competitors know what you are going to do; you have to answer 1001 critics from the user community and it's then more difficullt to change that plan according to circumstance and opportunity without upsetting lots of people who were expecting something different.

I hope they don't provide a roadmap - it'll make life very hard for them for no gain if they do.

Paul

yazan
07-26-2005, 12:22 PM
Like I said, we're each entitled to our opinions. I don't see a roadmap for features others have as threatening, not do I think NT is addressing most of the concern threads here anyway, so I don't think they'll really get that much of a headache that an advil won't releave!
Anyway, this is what threads are here for. Voicing thoughts. i thought this thread might turn bad but its actually pretty cool. One more reason to stick to LW, community.
Yazan

erikals
07-26-2005, 01:48 PM
Was a bit sad to see neither Ngons nor Edges will be included.

I won't complain though, as upgrades don't cost me 1 cent...
,but I fear all version 9 will give me is Ngons, 64bit, Edges and some other stuff.

In Scandinavia, the problem with this above is that Lightwave keeps falling behind within Film / Gaming / TVadvertising... There are very few jobs :cry:

IMO a roadmap would be great for some Scandinavian Lightwavers (and maybe other European Lightwavers) to see if LW has a future within some of these areas.

I can apply some of the modeling techniques in Maya, but I wish I didn't have to. I wish Lightwave was more into Film / Gaming over here.

flashover
07-27-2005, 08:06 AM
Would like to visualize a million polygons with an ATI or Nvidia 256 mb ram without decelerations, use the GPUs NEWTEK!!!!!!!!! This is my dream!!!!!!!!!!!!!Word of order optimized speed.

Exper
07-27-2005, 09:19 AM
Loud and clear! :thumbsup:

Dodgy
07-27-2005, 10:24 AM
I'm in two minds about this. On the one hand we all know where LW is lacking in regards to features, and we have to work with LW anyway unless we're going to fork out the cash, so what's the point worrying about it? On the other hand it's always nice to know where things are going generally.

As for features I would doubt very much that this is a definitive list of everything that's in LW 8.5. A .5 is usually quite a bit update (at least historically with LW), and people have said, these features are not really that. I expect the bulk of the sexy features to appear at siggraph, so don't get too depressed juist yet :)

I want to know where the opengl improvements are? Are they in the viewports? Making everything faster, or is it a separate render mode?

Mister NO
08-02-2005, 02:51 AM
Actualy COLKAI im an ORC and i must rally the Hords and lead my people to their DESTINY!!!
GLIBUSE!

colkai
08-02-2005, 04:06 AM
OK,
I'm officiallygettin' old becaue that just flew right over my head! 8~