PDA

View Full Version : Maestro - Still supported?

Johnnyx
07-09-2005, 04:56 AM
...wonder if Maestro is still being supported/developed? No updates for a while.. I'm using v1.1b .. and still get the odd random keyframe when selecting a controller ... also wondering about multi select controllers and other enhancements/improvements..?

Great Plug-in, would really like to see this grow and grow...

:)

blabberlicious
07-09-2005, 07:00 AM
I'm guessing there is a major update coming - based on a post I just read on the Support site.

It hinted at some sort of motion mixer-less NLA editing, pose system.

Eric, step up and give us some info!

:-)

ericsmith
07-09-2005, 08:32 AM
We're still working hard on Maestro. Keep in mind that we're a studio with a major project going on, so development of Maestro is happening concurrent with that. On the other hand, we've had three updates since release, and the 1.1b fix for 8.3 came out within days of 8.3's release (and that was only like a month ago). We do plan on releasing one more maintenence update (1.1c) to fix a few more 8.3 issues that we missed the first time, and then version 2.0 is on the horizon, hopefully in September.

Version 2 is going to be a massive step up from 1. I'm using it in production right now, and I'm animating at a rate of around 30 seconds a day per character.

Eric

cresshead
07-09-2005, 11:33 AM
cool, sound very interesting..looking forward to seeing what version 2 brings in!

steveg

Johnnyx
07-10-2005, 02:52 AM
..this is great news.. really looking forward to the updates! (esp the big one)..

One of the reasons I was asking is that I am just starting another 3 month project .. it makes a difference to know that the plugs I am using are still current!

Cheers :)

NanoGator
07-11-2005, 09:39 AM
..this is great news.. really looking forward to the updates! (esp the big one)..

One of the reasons I was asking is that I am just starting another 3 month project .. it makes a difference to know that the plugs I am using are still current!

Cheers :)

I think you'll like what we've done. :)

Lex1342
07-12-2005, 08:58 AM
To Nanogator/Eric

Your site ,Stillwater Pictures, is still "coming soon". I stop in every now and then... But no progression for your own site. I would like to see some stuff about your ongoing work and the animation made with Maestro.
That doesnīt mean I donīt appreciate you rather updating "our" plug-in than setting up your site. Iīd just like to see what the picture is about and some examples... ;)

One last question: When you are making the step to Maestro 2, will this be a pay-for upgrade, and how much will it be? Can you give us a small teaser about its features?? I really like Maestro... thatīs why I am interested.

Keep up your good work.
Thanks
LX

ericsmith
07-12-2005, 09:32 AM
It may be awhile before anything from our movie production goes public. I don't want to fall into the hole that productions like "Delgo" or "Rustboy" did, where they went public at the start, and years later, nothing has materialized. No offense to either of those productions, it's just that I want to handle things differently. The fact is, the website is only up because we needed to host the info for Maestro. I personally don't like keeping a "coming soon" page up for a long period of time either, but now I'm kind of stuck.

We're targeting to have Maestro 2 available by september. We haven't made a firm decision on whether it will be a paid upgrade, although considering how much has gone into it, there's a good chance that it will be. It won't be huge, maybe in the neighborhood of $30-$40.

I can't say anything about the new features just yet, but expect to see some sneak peek videos in august.

Eric

cresshead
07-12-2005, 02:00 PM
excelent stuff!

let's hope it has some cool stuff in there by the truck load!

my major wannaby's are......

1.mocap file support [bvh] for loading onto a meastro preset rig, most probably a special bvh rig as it'll be FK
2.body pose library to get some lib of preset poses much like that of POSER or the free maxcsript for max 6+
3.non linear motion mixer with some preset walks in there for a starting lib
4.hand pose lib
5.extend the capabilities of the quadroped rig hotspot pane a little to match the biped pane's
6.some sort of "walk designer" like that of poser's spline path or character studio's footsteps.

if you need some sample BVH's let me know as i have quite a few from character studio.

cheers! :lwicon:

ericsmith
07-12-2005, 03:58 PM
1. I looked into mocap a while ago. It would have been easy to do, even with the current version of Maestro, except that there's no standard bone setup for BVH. I've encountered three different skeletal structures so far. This problem pretty much kills the posibility of making it work. Also, there really wouldn't be much benefit. Editing mocap data is probably best done in graph editor.

2. The foundation will be there for pose and motion libraries. I can't say that we'll include a huge library to start with, but we'll definitely work on having enough to be useful.

3. We're definitely working in that direction. I won't say that version 2 will have the same functionality of motion mixer, but we're building tools that help to accomplish the same goal, with out some of motion mixer's downsides.

4. See #2

5. Can you clarify what you'd like to see from the biped control panel that's missing in the quadruped control panel?

6. We're not there yet, but some concepts are being developed. The one thing I want to avoid is a system that creates overly uniform or "canned" animation.

Eric

cresshead
07-12-2005, 05:28 PM
good to see the responses...

regarding BVH files, note that the bvh files that ship with poser are pretty NON standard especially if you export a bvh file from poser..they have missed some text which is needed in the bvh files to enable other apps to read them...there is docs for adding the text back in but usually it's not worth the time...

proper saved bvh files from mo cap studios have 1 of 2 recording states with the setup...

so there is a standard with bvh, just need to use the proper up vector for the file. [if my memory serves me correct]

maybe in version2.x we might have some sort of bvh rig...would be nice

as only characterstudio and motion builder can deal well with motion capture
currently..others such as xsi,cinema,maya struggle..this would then benefit lightwave as a quick simple mo cap capable 3d app...boosting it's standing.

as splinegod hinted elsewhere mo cap in lightwave is doable for characters but quite a task in comparison to say character studio and 3dsmax's importing toolset where it can data thin, extract the motion to keep all feet pinned to the ground and also extract the data of the mo cap file to create footsteps dirived from th mo cap file...pretty amazing stuff really.

just making to process "doable" without too much head scratching would be a huge step forward [sorry about the punn!]

looking forward to your updates and your hint at prices for version 2 seems very reasonable to me.

cresshead
07-12-2005, 05:40 PM
also some sort of semi-automated "walker" would be fantastic..even more useful than bvh as it would laydown less keyframes [i hope]

of the 2 methods i have used so far [spline based path and footstep]
footstep is super cool..so anyting along those lines would be very production friendly where you need to populate a scene with generic walking characters..even if your walk system was "on the spot" so you character location needed to be moved by the artist to enable a convincing walk cycle..

still all speculation at this point!...
good to see you chaps are looking at expanding the tools..

also have you looked into "puppet style" control system?

3dsmax can assign such things as the keyboard,mouse,joystick and midi keyboard to any controller...this then can in turn animate a character and be recored in realtime capture...that way an artist can record more than one controler at a time..just as a puppeteer uses in a performance....sort of virtual motion capture...

hope it's sparked some ideas..though i guess that you must be aware of most of these anyway....

cheers! :thumbsup:

opmeyer
11-22-2011, 11:53 PM
..that way an artist can record more than one controler at a time..just as a puppeteer uses in a performance....sort of virtual motion capture...
cheers! :thumbsup:

I had this hooked up to Studio Max 6 years ago. It is no different that an exoskeletal motion capture system that used to be used in the late 90's

Animators are not mindless clickers, we are forced to express motion out of real time because software developers under value the importance of live expressive gesture and interaction. Lightwave needs midi mapping. That way we can customize our studios for repetitive tasks and not get RSI by simply moving our arms around a bit more !!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqqkFX4Yt9o

pooby
11-23-2011, 01:11 AM
irrellevant post considering the timescale

stiff paper
11-23-2011, 02:14 AM
Hey, opmeyer...

You keep resurrecting very old threads. Is there a sensible reason why? The last comment on this was in 2005, over six years ago. I don't think anybody's still following this.

Worse, you're commenting on somebody else's comment about tech from over six years ago. It's no longer relevant.

Really, knock it off.