PDA

View Full Version : LightWave Video Manuals

Aegis
02-14-2003, 10:42 PM
Hi people!

I've been thinking about putting together some video manuals for LightWave 3D and was wondering what kind of interest there would be in them.

At the moment there are some excellent video training options available to LightWave users but what I was thinking of was a low-cost set of CDs that show how the various functions of Modeler and Layout work - not so much the theory as a "this does this and here's how it works".

The current plan would be to release a single CD for Modeler and a further 2 for Layout. Demo movies illustrating the type of content you can expect will be available for free download from my website.

If you're interested please vote on the poll.

Cheers!

riki
02-15-2003, 12:57 AM
There's a plethora of Lightwave training material out there at the moment. Most of it freely available on the web. I've purchased several books but they tend to go out of date before I get a chance to read them. Video is good becuase you can take in a lot of info quickly but I think you'd need a well known and trusted name behind the product to make it sell.

Skonk
02-15-2003, 02:31 PM
For the price Aegis is looking at it would be cheaper then almost all the books out there so as long as its done well i could see it working.

James..

Prosprctor
02-15-2003, 05:09 PM
There is alot of stuff for the basics out there already as Riki said, BUT if there was a video CD for all the plugins (like the ones on FLAY and such) that goes into detail of thier basic and non-basic usage (such as using them in ways that maby they weren't intended for but really do something special), I would get it.
And if there was something like a monthly subscription for a CD of the month showing all the new ones since the last CD (say 19.95 per mo) then I would get that too. Most of us don't really have the time to translate and experiment with alot of the plug-ins that are in other languages, and a CD like that can let us know there is something that is exactly what we need but too busy to find it.
Ya could even include the plug-ins that are shown on the CD for us internet connection challenged people out here:D if the author allows ya to do that.

Just a thought

hrgiger
02-15-2003, 06:08 PM
I think that there is plenty of material out there on the web for basic modeler and Layout function if you look for it. They would have to be fairly low cost materials I think to make them worth buying if they just explain tools and functions of modeler and Layout. I think to sucessfully sell training materials, you should try and bring something new to the table.

Aegis
02-15-2003, 07:06 PM
Hi all, thanks for the constructive comments!

The interesting thing about most video training materials/courses available at the moment is that they tend to teach techniques and workflow - this is certainly a valid approach and I for one would have no hesitation in enrolling for Larry's character series just to learn some new tricks from an old pro.

However, whilst Larry and Dan Ablan's courses are complete, structured courses with tutor assistance and feedback, many of the other video tuts available (for LightWave and other 3D software) tend to be of the "How to model a car / head / etc." variety - nothing wrong with that and indeed if the subject matter fills a need then that's a Very Good Thing.

The "video manuals" I'm proposing would be just that - a comprehensive guide to every tool, function and plugin that comes with LightWave with clear instructions on how each function works and examples of their uses.

On a personal note, I always found one of the best ways of learning a piece of software was to explore all of the functions at least once - everything may not stick (and with the wealth of tools available in LightWave certainly won't - for a while anyway) but the advantage to this method of learning is that every so often you'll come across a particular problem and you'll think "I'm sure there's a tool that does just what I'm looking for".

Learning this way however is extremely time-consuming and really depends on good documentation. LightWave's manual is (being kind) somewhat lacking in this respect and whilst Dan Ablan's great "Inside LightWave 7" does a fine job of introducing people to workflow and many of LightWave's features, a project-based book that attempted to explain what every single function did in detail would be at least three times as big as what is already a big ol' book.

So in a nutshell, what we're looking at is a video "reference" manual for LightWave - something to watch once maybe all the way through and then be there for you to come back to when your having problems figuring out Motion Mixer or whatever. It's not going to make you the best modeler/rigger/animator on the block - see Larry's course for that ;) - what it will do is clearly explain what does what and how.

It's not really intended to be a big money-spinning venture - It'd just be nice to cover any investment in time/software/hardware and provide another useful training option to the LightWave community.

Oh and @Prosprctor - nice idea about the Flay plugins - I'd probably make tuts' for them available as free downloads though otherwise I'd be making new masters every other day :D

JVitale
02-15-2003, 08:23 PM
Like I said to William Vaughan back in December "You can never have enough tutorials"...He agreed with me, so I say to you, go ahead and press on with your video manuals. I'll be filling the first order when they are done. I think it's an excellent idea. I still don't know what some of the tools in LightWave do....When I first started, I had no background in 3D and I went through the manual but I had no idea how to use each tool applied to modelling since the examples were vague or they relied on that stupid LightWave cow. For instance, the example on morphing in the 5.5 manual was the cow and a sphere. Well when am I going to need a cow morphing into a sphere...I hope what you were proposing were not just how to use the tools but more realistic examples on how each tool can be applied.

Aegis
02-16-2003, 05:01 AM
OK Jessica - just for you, no cows - I promise... well, maybe just one... ;)

Willax
02-18-2003, 03:25 AM
One thing I've noticed in many tutorials I have done, is the concept of 'do this to get to this'. That is fine to a degree, but I think it it was more 'do this because....' the overall concept would go further to obtaining an understanding rather than just plugging in a bunch of numbers to achieve an outcome. If I know why I'm supposed to do a certain thing it makes more sense than to just blindly do it because that's the way it is. So that might be an issue for your tutorials to address. You wanna make sure your first effort is good, or you may have some trouble promoting your successive tuts.

groodwanderer
02-18-2003, 05:19 PM
I for one would think this a great resource to have. Like you say there are times when you'll be working on something, then get stuck because you aren't sure how to do a specific task with that tool. I've even run across a tutorial where the person had the tool set up a certain way and I couldn't manipulate my own or have the know how to make the tool work the way I wanted it to. Of course I am new to all of this, but a resource like this would make the learning curve that less steep.