PDA

View Full Version : Impossibly newbie question about material presets

fugue
07-07-2005, 06:43 PM
How is it that when I click on the bright shiny "Silver" preset, what I get is a dark, shiny gray that in no way resembles silver?

What am I missing?

toby
07-07-2005, 06:57 PM
Silver needs something to reflect in order to look good. Right now it's reflecting an entirely black background. Try adding an image to the backdrop or as a reflection map on the surface.

fugue
07-07-2005, 06:59 PM
In the Modeler's Surface Editor, it displays a bright shiny silver. In Layout, however, all I can get, whether in the Surface Editor or render, is that dark shiny gray.

fugue
07-07-2005, 07:04 PM
There's one that comes with LW (which begs the question as to why the Preset doesn't load that), but when I tried loading that as a reflection map, I got nothing. No change.

Well, not no change entirely. It shows up as loaded in the Surface Editor. It makes no difference in my preview or my render, though.

toby
07-07-2005, 07:05 PM
Modeler gives you a generic environment so you can get an idea of what your surface will look like, but Layout is where you create your own environment, any environment you can possibly imagine, so it starts out blank. If you want a default environment, simply go to 'Effects/Backdrop Options' and check 'Gradient Backdrop'.

toby
07-07-2005, 07:16 PM
When you want to use a reflection map you need to set the options so:
LW doesn't know whether you want to use a map, backdrop, or raytracing; the default is 'backdrop'. If you did want to use raytracing, you'll need to go to render options and turn on raytrace reflection.

fugue
07-07-2005, 07:23 PM
You gave more precise instructions while I was requesting them. ^_^;;;

Just a second.

K

toby
07-07-2005, 07:29 PM
Try this in the left side menu - 'Window/Backdrop Options'

fugue
07-07-2005, 07:31 PM
. . . but this is a case where better is not better than good.

Just trying to make a graphic for my website. . . .

K

toby
07-07-2005, 07:38 PM
Try a higher resolution map - a good way is to blow it up in photoshop, then use the 'Liquify' feature to smear it about -

Also turn on Anti-Aliasing, set to High and turn off adaptive sampling.

fugue
07-07-2005, 08:17 PM
I still have some tweaking before I'm happy with it, but at least I'm on the right track now! Thanks, toby!

toby
07-07-2005, 08:46 PM
looking much better!

good times!
:dance:

I've noticed one thing that can really spruce up reflections is to use HDR images - try the 'kitchen probe' in the LW content directory, apply it with 'Image World' under 'add environment' in the backdrop panel.