PDA

View Full Version : Save Overlay

Town Manager
07-07-2005, 06:00 PM
I have created a simple overlay using Photoshop and would like to save it to the overlay folder so it pops up on the list of overlays. Does this require Toaster files, etc? Where is the overlay folder located?

Thanks....

Cineman
07-08-2005, 11:41 AM
Where is Knightdale? Born in Waynesville. Cullowhee through 5th grade. Then to Greensboro. Went to State and graduated Guilford. Folks from Goldsboro and Kinston.

You certainly pose an interesting question. I think that it can be done. I think I would just simply use “Insertimage FullPage” to get it into Overlay. Then save it to my default Playlist. Which I then recall with most used, and configurations, to start building each new program.

I have been banging on NewTek to add “Append Playlist” to the playlist options so that I can add new ones that come along without having to recreate them just for that.

The good news for you, if you really want to do only what you mentioned, is that you already have everything you need to do it with. The thing is that you have a simple way to get what you describe, and on a semi permanent basis. Or have a fairly complicated way to probably get exactly what you describe.

I actually started a tutorial for what you asked. After several paragraphs, and already with several “ifs”, I decided to just post this for now.

Nes Gurley

Here is the path. TriCaster\Skins\BlackBoxDesktop\Live_Tab\SetupTabs \Overlay_Tab\MainArea\_ALLTEMPLATES_

Town Manager
07-08-2005, 11:54 AM
4 miles east of Raleigh going toward the Outer Banks.

I have a DVD attached to the TriCaster but when you save it to the Play List is doesn't take it off the DVD, which means the DVD has to be in the player.

I'm disappointed in the documentation for the TriCaster. It's an amazing piece of equipment but needs some instruction for folks like me that will only use it twice per month to record meetings.

A tutorial would be of great help, thanks.

Gary

Cineman
07-08-2005, 03:00 PM
4 miles east of Raleigh going toward the Outer Banks.

Ah. Have friends in the video business in Rocky Mount.. May I assume that your dealer is Matt Drabick, and that you have at least a speaking acquaintance with Don Nelson? You have two of the greatest resources for TriCaster, and NewTek products just down the road. I called Don from Greensboro when I had a TriCaster problem when I was up in NC in May to demonstrate at the Inspiration Conference in Charlotte.

I moved here, Huntsville, AL, Redstone Arsnal from Raleigh where I was Projects Structurist for WUNC TV. I have always had a predilection for instructional television which is why I'm so involved with Title Templates, I suppose.

I have a DVD attached to the TriCaster but when you save it to the Play List is doesn't take it off the DVD, which means the DVD has to be in the player.

Ah, again. Interesting first that you have a DVD player attached. I really wonder how many others do. You see, I have developed a package for Title Templates that would cost so much for delivery on a jump drive, that everyone with TriCaster could use, because a break point exceeds the capacity of a 512MB. I am in the process of cleaning out a lot of junk that bloats the size, and don't know yet if it will all fit on a 1 gig. Would be so much less expensive to deliver on DVD.

Anyway, you have provided the clue as to how I can help. All you really need to do is move the graphic that you created in Photoshop to the TriCaster.

[I sure hope that the graphic is at least 720 by 486 (480). It is really supposed to be 1440 by 1080 for TriCaster. But anything in ratio 4x3 (four units wide by three units high) will work, because TriCaster scales all graphics. If not in ratio, it will distort. I am going to assume that yours is OK because it sounds as if you have already used it.]

This path is D:\Media\Pictures. That is the default path that “Insertimage FullPage” will go too, unless you have already changed it. If you think that you may have a lot of these for templates you might make a subfolder with an appropriate name. Just copy your graphic from the DVD and paste it there.

I'm disappointed in the documentation for the TriCaster. It's an amazing piece of equipment but needs some instruction for folks like me that will only use it twice per month to record meetings.

Am really tempted to tell you that with this amazing tool, you should easily get more jobs. Of course, am equally tempted to invite you to get my templates package and move way past a sort of dealer demo group to real working ones.

My real sympathy here is with the tek manual writer. It's concidence that I have known him for years, back to times before he was with NewTek. My commiseration comes from years of working with tek manuals with Army, Missile Command, Missile and Munitions Center and School. (Remember my ETV background.)

NewTek litterally worked themselves into the ground trying to make TriCaster as simple as possible to understand, and still be a great, and very advanced, production tool. How do you follow that with a manual? Believe me, I have seen Paul Lara in action and he could teach anything about TriCaster, VT for that matter, to a totem pole. How do you do that for everything, in writing, without drowning most everyone in the detail? I even hit some of that problem this morning trying to provide you a single effort tutorial.

NewTek chose to do a "Quick Start Manual" covering all the things it routinely does, and enough on extra things, to tempt users to explore and learn. Just doing it that way, is very hard.

A tutorial would be of great help, thanks.

Gary

NewTek has a tutorial on how to make Title Templates. I have seen it through three revisions, and it definately faces some of the same issues as the "Quick Start Manual". Title Templates were designed to be very easy for the end user to incorporate in their productions. There is a lot of effort that goes into the front end for that.

Nes Gurley

Tarheel Cougar
07-08-2005, 07:52 PM
Town Manager, all you want to do is bring up the graphic, you don't want to create an editable template, right? I've been tackling template creation from time to time and its a little more difficult but well worth the result. (Especially when you pre-build them and let novices take the Tricaster out).

Also, I might add that if the documentation isn't sufficient, you may want to check out Faraz Ahmed's Tricaster training DVD. Its a great introduction on all the basics and I highly recommend it unless you've pretty much figured it out. It won't tell you where the folders like that are but like I said, great introduction for beginners and refresher to the system.

Ah, again. Interesting first that you have a DVD player attached. I really wonder how many others do. You see, I have developed a package for Title Templates that would cost so much for delivery on a jump drive, that everyone with TriCaster could use, because a break point exceeds the capacity of a 512MB.

Is this a package of pre-made templates? How many and what kinds?
I have an old surplus USB external cd-rom drive attached to import graphics and other documents as needed. Its a must! You should at least make DVD an option, anyone with another computer can send the files over the network or copy the ones they want to a jump drive they already own then to Tricaster.

NewTek has a tutorial on how to make Title Templates.
Is this the one about how to add and change text on the built in templates, or something more advanced? I have been developing some of my own templates and importing graphics from other platforms and matching fonts to create new templates successfully, but would really like a list of all the variables and how to add fonts and text styles such as outline, etc. (I heard some documentation is on the way?) I haven't had enough time to play with it...creating the background graphic and editing the text, justification and position coordinates in the script file was easy enough, but the more flexibility the better.

I moved here, Huntsville, AL, Redstone Arsnal from Raleigh where I was Projects Structurist for WUNC TV. I have always had a predilection for instructional television which is why I'm so involved with Title Templates, I suppose.

I worked at UNC-TV as an intern a few years ago, great place. Their transition to digital is amazing. You should check out their new master control!

Jared

Paul Lara
07-11-2005, 02:35 PM
Jared,
Check your e-mail! :cool:

Cineman
07-11-2005, 04:17 PM
Paul,

Could you send it to me as well, so that Jared and I will be on the same page.

Thanks,

Nes

Tarheel Cougar
07-11-2005, 05:38 PM
Jared,
Check your e-mail! :cool:

Paul that is great! Very educational, answers a lot of questions. I figured out a few of those commands but I did not try any background images other than 1440x1080 TGA's, now I won't have to "upscale" other graphics I already have at 720x480. I will give the tutorial a thorough test this week as I am going to convert a very large package of football graphics from another CG. The only question I have right off is about the hidden NewTek Info folder and the Thumb.png image (which appears to actually be a jpg). I take it that image is not needed or is dynamically generated by Tricaster?

I have been using a safe area template I found on the internet. (It came from here (http://caheinfo.wsu.edu/video/client) - I took the jpg one and stretched the image to 1440x1080) and I put it on a layer in Photoshop, built the background graphic with the safe area in mind, then hid the layer before I save it. I've also been getting the coordinates from Photoshop as to where the text is placed.

I'll put this newfound knowledge to work this week!

Thanks,
Jared Amos

Cineman
07-12-2005, 09:37 AM
The only question I have right off is about the hidden NewTek Info folder and the Thumb.png image (which appears to actually be a jpg). I take it that image is not needed or is dynamically generated by Tricaster?

Still no E-mail so that I can be sure that we are on the same page for Templates creation, but I can provide guidance about the .jpg. When you have finished your development of a template, and have your thumb made and in place, open the NewTek Info folder and delete the .jpg. After you have looked at the template in TriCaster and are back in windows, look there again. It will have regenerated to you new thumb.

My new “Vignette Camcorder” template, is not only realistic as to what one sees in a camera viewfinder, but is also a perfect print safe area checker.

Nes Gurley

dhomas
02-07-2006, 09:50 AM
We created Template Maker for VT and TriCaster to easily create templates/overlays.

http://www.youngmonkey.ca/hands/Software/index.html

Cineman
02-08-2006, 11:43 PM
Hi dhomis,

I got an E Alert, but really don't understand why you posted this to this thread. I assume that your Template maker program just ignores making the NewTek Info Jpeg Icons. Then it would do just what I mentioned. I guess if one made serious modifications to an existing template and then saved it under the old name it would end up with the wrong icon in the NewTek Info file or generate clutter.

Even without really understanding exactly what you are getting at, I welcome the opportunity to say Hi after this long time. Could it really go back to when you were about to publish a review of my Cineman Toast transitions for the Amiga Toaster?

Appreciate your efforts with the template maker. Wish that it had been around when I was making the 115 title templates for my jobs pac package. Actually, your package is too limited in three ways for some of what I was doing. I have several templates with 11 graphic items, none with more, while you allow for only ten. Text items are even more short for what I and NewTek did, with some of ours ranging from 25 to 35 text items.

The other factor that would prevent me from using your program is the very limited availability of text angles. I usually base my text angles on the background used. Your program would force me to design the background to the limited text angles available, which is certainly not my style. I bet these limitations could and might change to some additional capability in version two?

Don't get me wrong as I would certainly recommend your program to anyone who was going to make many title templates. I think it is worth it just for the ability to easily set the justification to the safe area, even if I couldn't make the entire template with your program. Since justification changes, not only with every font style and size but also from shadows and edges which I, at least, use extensively with my 91 font styles which can be of any size, it is sure difficult to estimate the justification for maximum character availability.

Nes Gurley

>

dhomas
02-09-2006, 12:03 AM
Template Maker makes the template thumbnail jpegs automatically. The limitation on graphic items is only for sensibility sake. For the most part, all people need is a background image made of up graphic elements. Not sure why you'd put 35 text items on a page either, seems like it'd be kinda crowded; but if someone needs to do that, I can allow that in about 10 seconds. And again, text angles... if anyone wants more, that's easy enough to change. Nobody using it thus far has asked for any of this. We add feature requests to plugins all the time, Data Overlayer is a perfect example - it's packed full of customer requests. So all people gotta do is ask. Font Styles can easily be made... but again, people don't really need 100s of fonts either, most people, including graphic artists, tend to use a limited number of favorites.

Cineman
02-09-2006, 01:13 PM
Template Maker makes the template thumbnail jpegs automatically.
I was talking about the NewTek Info template thumbnail jpegs. It would be silly and redundant for your program to make what the NewTek programming is going to do anyway.

The limitation on graphic items is only for sensibility sake. For the most part, all people need is a background image made of up graphic elements.I'm sorry but Title Templates will only allow a single graphic element as a background, AFIK. Anyway, I couldn't disagree with you more. I find that a different brush on a background can completely change the perception of the template, make it all new, again. I even did things like offer three brush positions on the same bottom third. Thus the end user could customize the brush position to his print needs.

An example of my using 11 graphic elements is on the five day weather forecast. There is the background plus two graphic elements for each day, for daytime and nighttime for instance. Don't know if it is from my living in the Southeastern part of the USA, but I could easily use two for each day. The weather just never stays the same all day.

The five day forecast is a good example of needing more than ten text elements as well. I use two entirely different font styles (two text elements) in the title line just for pizzazz. After that are the five days, five high temps, and five lows. Even with that I still had room and balance for a banner at the bottom.

Not sure why you'd put 35 text items on a page either, seems like it'd be kinda crowded;.Since you don't have the jobs pac to see how effective this can be, take a look at NewTek's "Sports FullPage 02". That is an example of using 32 text elements on a single template.

When I expanded this out to make similar available for all sports, I deleted the horizontal bracket line to the right. I figured that, if needed, that could be covered in verbiage. Else there would also need to be a mirror imaged background for the next bracket. When I did that, it left me with room and balance to add lines for additional information down the right side, so I have room for five more lines of text, if needed. (I used 25 to 35 text elements based on a quick glance and averages. Obviously this has more.)

Also, a major thrust of my jobs pac development was to keep the total count of all templates to as low a number as was possible to get the job done. There are real workflow issues scrolling on and on to find the needed template. In every case where I was sure it could still do the job, I replaced one from the NewTek Dealer Demo group (always considering the dealer and end user demos while doing it) with my modified version. (Not good for advertising where people count first, but selling product is not nearly the main thrust of what I do.)

What I'm getting at is that the power of text deletion was a great part of my jobs pac development. Since deleting a line of text back to the graphic background takes only two key clicks, and, at the beginning, it could take me a day to add an additional line, what with moving all lines so that any number used would look OK, I really used that to expand the capabilities with individual pages. I constantly found that by using different groupings of available text lines (plus possibly changing to different brushes) I could make a template look totally different in a different context use. In most cases I don't expect the end user to use all the text lines available. They are there if needed, or to make a totally different print graphic.

but if someone needs to do that, I can allow that in about 10 seconds.
Yes. When I first looked at your program, it seemed that it would be relatively easy to make it more accommodating. See below.

And again, text angles... if anyone wants more, that's easy enough to change.Yes. Couldn't the angle box be turned into number entry instead of a pop up menu? That way the user could set to any angle without much effort on your part.

I even found that in the NewTek template examples the angled text wasn't matching the background or alpha area angels. I fixed these. I developed more, and even found a way to have angled text move to match the safe area boundaries. In other words short lines will be justified to the safe area available, and when modified, they will move to maintain that justification to the safe area. All these tips and tricks are fully documented in my 40 plus page, fully illustrated template by template manual.

Font Styles can easily be made... but again, people don't really need 100s of fonts either, most people, including graphic artists, tend to use a limited number of favorites.I didn't find them that easy, but experimented and learned, and I do consider myself a print for video graphic artist. It is a necessity for a one man shop. Where did you get 100s of fonts from what I said? The total in my package is 91, and only up 20 from what NewTek had. I didn't go beyond the Windows default fonts at all, although I believe that I used every one there, suitable for use in video

The difference is in the font treatment. Every font color change or treatment such as borders and shadows requires a new font script. That accounts for most. I found a general lack of the usual lower thirds, with or without bugs, with contrasting edge that will show over any video. I had to generate new font scripts for each of these. The amount of contrasting edge needed varies according to the font size. It was things like these that drove the additional font scripts. The procedures for these are documented in the manual tutorials.

Nes Gurley

dhomas
02-09-2006, 03:56 PM
Background image, really just implies what image is furthest behind... in reality, all the images you put in a template are in the foreground as overlays on video. So whether you use a template structure to tell the template to place graphic on top of graphic on top of graphic, or just put them all in one image to begin with (assuming you don't want to change them after the fact), the result is the same. It's of course more efficient to have just one image, with all the graphic elements in it, so only one has to be loaded and positioned, as opposed to dozens of extra piled on top. By definition, you really can only have one background image.

For score overlays, and data display (weather, stocks, etc)... we have plugins that rival the template method of data display... saving from having to manually edit text, introducing the possibility of errors/typos.

Tarheel Cougar
02-09-2006, 06:17 PM
For score overlays, and data display (weather, stocks, etc)... we have plugins that rival the template method of data display... saving from having to manually edit text, introducing the possibility of errors/typos.

You've piqued my interest. Any of this for Tricaster? I would find the Scorekeeper plugin especially useful. I know without Aura/Mirage the same approach won't work, but I would love to see a portable (Tricaster) version somehow! I think there are a lot of people doing local sports that could really benefit from that.

Jared

dhomas
03-16-2006, 09:33 PM
Most of Nes's issues are addressed in the upcoming Template Maker Pro release. Plus an exciting bonus!