PDA

View Full Version : Typing too fast for laptop?

peter66
07-07-2005, 06:37 AM
Hi, this isn't Newtek/LW related but I have a really annoying problem with my laptop (that I use for LW...).

Whenever I do any typing on my Toshiba Tecra A3 laptop, whether it's a URL in firefox, an essay in Word, or posting a question about a problem at newtek.com, the "typing curser" often jumps to make a different window in focus.

For example, I could be typing this message and then all of a sudden, my text is getting input into the URL at the top. Other times I'll just be typing away and It'll suddenly change it's focus so that I'm typing in a few words in front of the words I just typed.

eg. If I try to type "the fox jumped over the fence"

I'm just as likely to end up with "ed over the fencethe fox jump" etc.

It's hard to suss out whats doing it because it only happens when I'm typing at about 50-60wpm. I suspect it has something to do with the "fuction" keys misfiring because the way the keyboard's laid out, there's "function-J" to do "end", "function-L" to do "PgDn" and there's also access to arrowkeys and numpad through the function system.

I'm sorry for posting this here but I don't know who else to ask (and the Toshiba site doesn't seem very promising).

cheers if anyone can help, it's really really annoying!

Pete

LSlugger
07-07-2005, 09:03 AM
Are you brushing against a trackpad? I usually disable trackpad clicking because of these types of frustrations.

TOXIC-3D
07-08-2005, 06:43 AM
How'dee...

My previous Laptop did the "exact same thing"... "Constantly!" I found out that the pad was extra sensative and as a result just having my palm "hovering" above the pad was causing the problem that your having. I had a Compaq at the time. You can do what I did and pick up a thick piece of card'stock that was cut to about a quarter inch larger than the outside border of the pad, and then I just placed it over the pad when I needed to type.

Or, you could do what I did later... I junked my piece of junk Plll Compaq and bought a brand new "HP ZD8000" which was released to the public this past December/January... "This thing totally SmokeS! And it has a Toggle inorder to shut down the pad altogether!!!" This this rocks with Lightwave/Modeller... I haven't had a crash since I installed them...

Toxic' :D