PDA

View Full Version : FK/IK? or NoK?

dobermunk
04-28-2003, 03:01 AM
Very interesting discussion:
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=58455&perpage=15&pagenumber=1

Perhaps pose to pose animtaton would make for a great alternative animation mode.

harhar
04-28-2003, 07:59 AM
isn't that key frame animation?

dobermunk
04-28-2003, 08:14 AM
Well, it's all in key-frame. You set keys, the computer interpolates between these keys.
This approach is different from Lightwave's in that you can pin bones down per key. Say, at frame 20 you pin down the elbow on frame 140, the left foot and right knee. Just a different approach that has some major advantages. And some disadvantages. But very interesting.
I'd like to see some options for this kind of animation in Lightwave. I consider it more interesting as a complimentary approach than just running after Maya/XSI in their character rigging toolset.

DaveW
04-28-2003, 02:46 PM
Pose to pose animation is just a way of animating that can be done in any animation software. What you're talking about is an animation/rigging system that, imo, was revolutionary (and still is)and it's really too bad that Mirai is dead.

If NewTek were able to pull off something like this before anybody else then that would really kick ***, but I kinda doubt they will. I think it's far more likely that AW or Avid will have it first. Then it'll take a couple years before Lightwave gets anything like it. Lightwave is definately *not* a leader when it comes to animation/rigging tools.

dobermunk
04-28-2003, 02:52 PM
All I know is - I'd love to see it in Lightwave!

Or for lightwave.
I'd be happy to buy a plug-in that allows this. Does anyone know if Motion Builder has this kind of toolset?

DaveW
04-28-2003, 03:37 PM
I think MB kinda has something like this, but I've heard it's not as well done as Mirai. Sounds like Animanium is going to be sold to the public this summer, it has the same type of animation system as Mirai. Unfortunately the site is all Japanese so I don't know any specifics. Could just be a Japanese release. I know it's going to have a plugin to export the animations to 3ds Max, hopefully there'll be a way to get the motion into Lightwave.

Dodgy
04-29-2003, 02:40 AM
There used to be a similar system in Imagine, you could lock down any number of joints in position or rotation, and the you could pull any other joint. You then created a pose and continued animating. Quite bizarre...

There's a free IK/FK blend system out for LW for those that don't know, available at:

http://www.spatial-design.com/plugins/index.htm

You key frame a blend value when you switch between them...

DaveW
04-29-2003, 12:21 PM
I know about the ik blender, but it's realy not the same thing. It's useful, but it's gets messy. I'm really hoping that Animanium comes out in the US this summer and works with LW or NewTek adds this type of animation system to LW real soon. Or maybe if MotionBuilder can improve their system to work more like this. I'll check out Imagine.

DaveW
04-29-2003, 12:36 PM
For anybody (esp. NewTek programmers!) interested in this type of animation system, a Mirai user posted a video showing how it works:
http://ambient-whisper.cgcommunity.com/images_dump/mir/SkeleFun.html

CB_3D
04-29-2003, 08:39 PM
Looks impressive.
I requested something like that (Animatable world coordinate tool?!) for 6 a couple of years ago.

Couldnīt something like that be rigged in Lightwave right now? Just wondering.

DaveW
04-30-2003, 11:01 AM
I don't think it's possible to make a rig like that in Lightwave The WETA guys apparently weren't able to pull it off in Maya. Even if you were able to get something close in LW, it would likely be very very slow to work with. It's a shame Mirai development died; it came out in 1999 and I can only dream of how amazing it would be now if it had continued being developed.