PDA

View Full Version : Ring in progress - Need help

macus701
07-06-2005, 05:27 PM
I sort of new to Lightwave (or the other way around)...

I'm trying to create a diamond ring. The diamond is ready but I can't seem to figure out the silver ring. I comes out not like I want it to. I would like it to be more realistic. I can't figure out the reflection, the ring comes out too "milky". I would almost like it to have a silvery mirror-like surface.
I've attached one of my redered images beneath. Mine is the lower one (doh!)(ignore the text inside it). The upper one is the one I'm trying to imitate the surface from. The nearest I've come to it ends up looking like a chromed surface.

I am using SilverReflection and no plugins. As I said: I'm a newbie, so go easy on me, but please give me some tips.
Thx

maxxwv
07-06-2005, 07:01 PM
Reflections are key to believable metals. Right now it looks like you're either not using a reflection map (or Image World) or it's just not enough. Also, Incidence Angle gradients in the Reflection and Diffuse channels help a lot, but only when there's something to reflect.

Also - this tut should help... http://www.the-worms-of-art.com/tutorials/lightwavetutes_221.html

Check out the "Mr. Fresnel" Tutorial

HTH

macus701
07-07-2005, 12:41 AM
Thx man! I'll try it!