PDA

View Full Version : Finding the Perfect Motherboard

AdamAvenali
07-06-2005, 02:29 PM
alright everyone,

i've started to build my first computer and i've been doing research like crazy and all that, but what i can't find is a motherboard that suits what i want (not what i need, but i what i want haha, and i want a lot).

okay, here's a list of things that my motherboard MUST be:

mATX
IEEE 1394 (Firewire Port)
LAN connection
PCI Express for Video Card

and here is what i would like it to have, just as personal preference:

4 DIMM slots for max 4 gb RAM (just in case for future expansion)
AMD Athlon 64 or 64 FX Socket

So, hit me with what you got because i would like to have this built by the time i head back to college for my senior year (YAY, i'll be an animator with a degree then haha), and i really need a second machine to work on and render on so i can still use my other to do other work.

Any information is usefull and greatly appreciated! You can tell me i'm totally crazy too if you need to.

Thanks,
Adam

Lightwolf
07-06-2005, 03:12 PM
Why mATX? That really limits your options and you're very unlikely to find a board with 4 DIMM sockets...

Cheers,
Mike

Surrealist.
07-06-2005, 03:44 PM
My board has everything you want and more.

An Asus A8N -SLI Delux.

It comes with all of your specifications with the addition that you'll need a BTX power supply but the board is an ATX form factor.

Added features to name a couple are four serial ATA sockets as well as the standard IDE which comes with an optinal raid config.

I am happy. I run am AMD FX 55 :D

Here's an article with more specs.

http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=98&type=expert

Don't forget about the BTX power supply very important and no no no do not believe anybody even the manufature there is NO I repeat NO adaptor for the ATX to BTX. And if someone even here tries to tell you otherwise they are misinformed. Trust me on that one. It will save yourself lots of trouble. It MUST be a BTX the wiring is completely different. Easy to come by but it must be BTX. ( I actually got a store manager to give me a BTX for the same price because his employee handed me the wriong one after driving 20 miles to get it and then having to drive all the way back!)

OK enough on that. You'll be screaming along good and fast and if you want to use SLI you are set.

AdamAvenali
07-06-2005, 06:47 PM
i'm not really sure why i wanna go mATX.. i got a case for free with a 480w power supply that is mATX and figured i could roll with it..

i have found many boards that have 4 DIMM slots though.. i'm having a real tough time finding one with the 1394 though (my case has a port in the front for firewire that i would like to utilize instead of putting a PCI card in).. it seems like every board i find has everything except one of the things i listed haha..

Surrealist.
07-06-2005, 07:37 PM
i'm not really sure why i wanna go mATX.. i got a case for free with a 480w power supply that is mATX and figured i could roll with it..

i have found many boards that have 4 DIMM slots though.. i'm having a real tough time finding one with the 1394 though (my case has a port in the front for firewire that i would like to utilize instead of putting a PCI card in).. it seems like every board i find has everything except one of the things i listed haha..

I missed the m part apparently. :rolleyes: Sorry.

AdamAvenali
07-06-2005, 07:49 PM
i did find this one.. only thing i'm unsure of is the chipset.. any one heard or have any experience with the ATI XPRESS 200?

http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec.asp?model=RS480M2-IL&class=mb

EDIT: okay, i've looked through newegg for a while now and every time i try a new search this is the only motherboard that comes up.. so i'm seriously considering it.. unless someone can give me some bad feedback on MSI.. what i've come to the conclusion after reading reviews is that it's okay on gaming, but its strong point is running items that require a lot of memory.. is this a good thing for running lightwave and rendering?

once again any info is helpful!

AdamAvenali
07-06-2005, 09:24 PM
alright i swear this i my last post for the evening, i apologize if i'm getting to be annoying.. but i've found it.. THE motherboard for me..

http://www.giga-byte.com/MotherBoard/Products/Products_Spec_GA-K8NMF-9.htm#

i really feel this one has everything i want and need.. only problem is that i cannot find it for sale ANYWHERE! only places i've found online are foreign currency. Is there a reason i can't get this in the US?

thanks,
Adam